GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SQUEAKY DASH?!?!

i've started to hear sounds from the top of the dash. when i push on the vent on the top of the dash when the sound is happening it usually stops. just seems that two plastics are rubbing or something.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
MHS216 said:
No, but my sunglass holder rattles sometimes with low stereo frequencies.:mad:
I super glued my sunglass holder shut, and now its real quiet. No use for it..so Im happy. Also I took apart the entire center vent and installed FELT all around the contact points and now its quiet to. And I removed the sunroof control panel and glued the LED light ring inside that was rattling as well. :thumbup:

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
^Those are all good ideas. I use my sunglass holder actually and find it pretty convenient, it scratches the shit out of your shades though if you put them in the wrong way. Just a headsup/FYI

...and then rattles when empty

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
MHS216 said:
^Those are all good ideas. I use my sunglass holder actually and find it pretty convenient, it scratches the shit out of your shades though if you put them in the wrong way. Just a headsup/FYI

...and then rattles when empty

You might want to try getting a bag like Oakley supplies with it's shades. They work really well at protecting the glasses and provide a little bit of packing in the holder so the glasses aren't rattling around.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
My doors, dash, and overhead roof all seem to make some noises. It's getting darn annoying. I've never had a car make so much rattle noise (especially over bumps). At least not that I can remember.:iono:

i'd also like to get the info on taking out the top vent. seems like it should be easy.
i've also noticed that when i got over speed bumps at an angle, which i have to do at my work, the hatch seems to shift a little and make noise. but for the most part the car is relatively quiet.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
The top vent just pops out.

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
MHS216 said:
No, but my sunglass holder rattles sometimes with low stereo frequencies.:mad:

Do u remember that famous Golf ad with the squeaky earring???....after getting my baby back fm the garage following the CD autochanger fiasco....the passenger side panel is not back on properly but decided to leave it as its going back in so anyhoo....a rattle started...worse wi low freq music...was driving me nuts..and I mean nuts coz sure the dealer was at fault....I had the panel out..in...out..in....no joy......then I had a sunny morning an out came the shades...rattle stopped.....poor dealers ears must ave been burning :rolleyes:

Lesson learnt....

vdubitalia

Passed Driver's Ed
with every car I’ve owned (crappy or not), i take it apart during a weekend. find your "hot spots" for your rattles and road noise and apply sound dampening. if you can locate the rattles from the dash and doors, use some sticky back 1/4'' foam strips to get rid of any plastic on plastic.
from my experiences, vent hose is usually the culprit of 90% of rattles under the dash. just make sure that the foam is not in the way of anything mechanical or hot.