GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty issues

johnny12345

Touring Car Champion
If you have a chipped GTI and take it to the dealership for a regular service, r they gonna find out its chipped as soon as they plug it in to the diagnostic machine, or is it possible that they won't even know?

GTI2007

If you have APR or Revo it ain't the chip that allows it, but the software APR or Revo flashes on the original ECU that allows to flip back to stock and is even in performance mode still almost invisible for the diagnostic machine.

GTI2007

scuderiavw said:
that is why i got the APR chip w/stock mode:wink:

APR doesn't uses chips but ECU upgrades. They just connect a computer onto your OBD II port and flash the performance software together with a piece of software to switch between programs onto your ECU.

GTI2007

johnny12345 said:
Thanx I undstand that that theres chips out there that give you a stock mode, but what if you don't get one of those chips, will the dealership know right away?

Most chiptuning in the MK5 GTI is done by reflashing the original ECU throw the OBD II port and mostly doesn't need to change the chip.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Most places depend on your attitude toward to be quite honest.
If it's undetectable that's great. Don't forget to change if you have that option. If a Tech has to drive it and you forgot that one time they will remember/document it.
When I worked at Audi we didn't care unless you were a Dick (Jerk)... then we'd pull ECU's out to take a look see and do a data log too!

Then only true voiding we did... is if someone neglected to keep up with oil changes and they Coked the oil in the feedline to the turbo and they blew their turbo and insisted on a FREE replacement --- No Sir!

Ahhh, the good old days.

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
^^^^ that is exactly true, just make friends with your service advisor, and tell them what you have in the car, keep in mind, if they dig it, they will find it. Do not pressure them, have understanding and patience. If they see you working with them, they will be fine to you. I always made friends with my service advisors as well as technicians, so at the end, they took good care of me.

jaydubz

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
In all reallity I is the software truly undetectable?!?!? No matter how well it may be hidden somethingt must be red flagged. Maybe its part of a sub routine that the dealer rarely checks in most conditions. I am always skeptical! Off Subject but... WILDHARE how durable are the turbos in these cars and do you have any tips for extending the turbo and engine life beyond normal oil changes. Should I buy a turbo timer? Sorry for such a noob question.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I know GIAC has a control unit that gets plugged into your ECU port, so you can switch through the modes you have installed on your GTI. Is this system available as I know it was still in the process of distribution?