GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Questions

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
So i've been poking around and been reading, and I know that most modern turbo's don't require cooling time, and that has been confirmed by this site, but i'm wondering what type of turbo does this car have? Coming from considering a Subaru, everyone would always ask which blowoff valves are good, I'm NOT, i'm just wondering what makes this turbo not need one?

Any help or explanations would be great

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Dubdr said:
jj, you never did tell me where you found that info? I was just wondering if there is a site or something I can get more stuff off of.

I wish I knew of a secret VW information depot :) A generous member sent it to me. :thumbsup:

Nerdavison

Nerd with Speed addiction
Car(s)
07 GTI, 80 TR8
Wow that is one of the most useful things to ahve for yoru car if you wish to work on it. Very very useful if you want to diagnose problems yourself too. thanks a ton man!

Phil@BSH

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTi FSi
So i've been poking around and been reading, and I know that most modern turbo's don't require cooling time, and that has been confirmed by this site, but i'm wondering what type of turbo does this car have? Coming from considering a Subaru, everyone would always ask which blowoff valves are good, I'm NOT, i'm just wondering what makes this turbo not need one?

it isnt that the turbo doesnt need the cooling the time, it absolutely must be cooled properly. What you have heard is that the liquid cooled turbos do a more efficient job at removing heat from the turbo, mate that to an after run cooling system and you have your idea that the turbo does not need to be cooled.

An after run system pushed coolant through the cooling system after the car has been shut off to ensure that all components that see coolant are cooled properly after the car is turned off. You will notice the sound this makes when you step out of your car.

notsolinear

Takes his fast for rides
Coming from considering a Subaru, everyone would always ask which blowoff valves are good, I'm NOT, i'm just wondering what makes this turbo not need one?

In case you didn't see it in the PDF, the engine recirculates the boost pressure around in a loop doing nothing instead of venting to atmostphere. That way when you let off the gas between shifts the turbo can spin freely instead of getting slowed down and needing to be sped back up again.

hensley01

mad rabbit
Car(s)
06 GTI

cooling time and blowoff valve have nothing to do with each other, the reason most modern cars (as with ares) they have built in ways to let the turbo cool and spool down. that way you wouldnt need a turbo timer