GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Because we can't get Homelink...

shadezofgray

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm going to give one of these a shot instead:

Linear 3-channel Visor Transmitter
Model Number: MCT-3

I'm hoping it will blend alright with the anthracite visor. I'm not sure if I'm gonna use the clip or if I'll try some industrial strength velcro. And even if it doesn't work all that well, I'm only paying like $18 for it.

I'll give a full report once I get it next week...

-shadezofgray

shadezofgray

Passed Driver's Ed
Who needs Homelink? Anybody with multiple garage doors. Unfortunately, I've got two singles instead of one big door.

My past few cars have had it...and it's now a "must have" for me. I have both of my garage doors programmed on the left and right buttons respectively...and the garage door at my parent's house programmed in the middle.

That Flash2Pass option looks cool...I wonder if they'll eventually make the turn signals emit different frequencies so you can control 3 doors?

-shadezofgray

Sincity

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought Homelink was an accessory you can buy. I have seen pictures of it-it is intergrated into the driver sun visor.

shadezofgray

Passed Driver's Ed
In the MkV world, it comes on the Jetta 2.0T...if you order Package 3. For some reason, VW's logic must be that if you're willing to purchase a $4600 package :eek: ...then you must own a garage.

So...a Homelink solution has been engineered for the MkV models (in the driver's visor). The million dollar question is: do all MkVs come pre-wired for the Homelink? The other big question: do they make it in black (to match the the GTI's anthracite headliner). Otherwise...we'd be stuck with light tan or gray plastic Homelink module. :barf:

I should get the Linear MCT-3 in 3 days (according to my UPS tracking #). Review to follow...

-shadezofgray

shadezofgray

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry for the delayed review...but I'm not having much luck getting this thing to work. The instructions state that you have to hit the "learn" button on the receiver and press the desired button on the transmitter. But when I do, the transmitter's red light comes on but that's about it! :iono:

HomeLink works differently because it learns the frequency of your existing transmitter. The MCT-3 has 3 fixed frequencies and expects the receiver to do the "learning."

I'll keep fiddling with it...but my guess is that it's not compatible with my LiftMaster opener. :frown: I don't know why HomeLink isn't available in a wireless, battery powered version? Oh well...

-shadezofgray

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
Sorry your clicker dealie doesn't work. From what I've read there are 2 different types of clicker dealies depending on your opener. There's the rolling code type and the kind where you flip switches on the opener and the clicker so they match. (Sorry for the overly technical description, I'm not too familiar with garage door openers. lol)

As for putting homelink in a car without it....I think you can just get a homelink equipped visor or module, wire it up to 12v power and program it (again, this depends on what kind of opener you have).

I guess worst case scenario, you could always contact a garage door service place (not sears/craftsman, but an actual company that installs doors and openers) and get some advise from those guys.