GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R&T compares GTI vs. CooperS vs. Civic SI.... winner: GTI!

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
GTI 2.0T said:
I have noticed that in every comparision between the GTI and SI(and in this case the mini S also) the SI pulls away at high speeds :confused: ?

Is the GTI that slow at high speeds?

That isn't the only confusing thing you'll read.

The comparisons across the board are so varied, it makes a decision difficult. I saw a 1/4 mile on the 2006 Si at 14.7, which was a forum post from a guy who hit the track. I have seen a 0-60 of 6.2 for the Si and 6.3 on a GTI in MPH Magazine (whoever they are).

I mean, if I don't want Navi, and leather, etc, just a base model car...which is the better buy? Goes the GTI really have to be $29,000 for it to be worth it? Does anyone here just have the base GTI?

Horizon

Drag Race Newbie
Slowride said:
I mean, if I don't want Navi, and leather, etc, just a base model car...which is the better buy? Goes the GTI really have to be $29,000 for it to be worth it? Does anyone here just have the base GTI?

Well yeah, if you don't want the SatNav and Street Tires with the Si, you don't have to... but what you need to look at, is that was the "As Tested" price, and not the "Listed Price." Essentially, the GTI doesn't need any of those options for it to perform the way it did (well, besides the DSG tranny, which is $23,065.00 + $630 at MSRP). If you just get the GTI at baseline, you'll be paying $21,990.00 + $630 MSRP, and without any extra weight from the options (if there's any).

But they all are in the same price line, since R&T tends to put a bunch of options on their test vehicles (performance enhancing or not, they want to show what a fully loaded car is capable of, as people tend to like those options), even when the listed prices are practically the same across the board. Hope that puts it in perspective for you.

I personally think the GTI is the better buy.. as it includes Xenon headlights, heated side mirrors, ESP, and just too many more standard options that are available on the baseline vehicle. Looking at the Si, it just makes it look lackluster compared to the GTI.

Last edited:

MK5nail

Passed Driver's Ed
I know friends don't let friends buy hondas, but.....a buddy of mine just ordered a loaded si..... can't wait to see how they compare first hand... have to wait til after break in for both of us...

MK5nail

Passed Driver's Ed
you asked if anyone bought a pack zero...i bought my pack zero for $21,800..sufficient options for me..

erick.s

Autocross Champion
I have a package 0 as well - bought it for $21,277. The thing with the GTI packages is that none of them are "performance enhancing" features (though some would say that the DSG is), so my car at a hair over 21K is identical performance wise to the fully optioned car at 30K. Theoretically, it's possibly a hair quicker because of weight issues (stock 18"s are heavier, sunroof and DSG add weight, etc.).

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
I test drove a 2006 Si last night. It was Galaxy Gray with no Navi, priced at $19,990 + $500 for destination.

I was very impressed with it. The car is not what I expected. The power is smooth, but at almost 6000 RPM the engine just starts to scream and the pull is awesome.

I also really liked the interior. It wraps around the driver nicely, but feels very roomy.

The exterior styling really appeals to me as well, since I prefer a coupe. I am going to test drive a GTI on Friday or Saturday, so, we'll see if it can give me the same feeling when I get in it.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
BLACKMAGICGTI'06 said:
The gti will impress you with the higher torque at much lower RPM rate no torque steer also VW underrated the HP on the car and the 200 hp is actually a closer number to the at the wheels hp than the 200 at the motor on the civ. but by all means drive all the cars you are considering heaven knows i did lol

When I look at the comparison the Si had "mild" understeer vs. "moderate" understeer on the GTI.

Now, I guess that depends on whether they consider "mild" worse than "moderate" in this test environment. :iono:

Is that the torque steer you mean, or is that on launching?

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
BLACKMAGICGTI'06 said:
On my test drive on launch at high rpm the si pulled hard to the right.

Really?

Since it has LSD, hop and TS on launch should be minimal. I dumped the one I drove from around 3500 on launch and didn't have it pull to the right or left. Of course, the conditions may have been different, but I didn't experience that (not to say it isn't possible).

In the RSX, that wouldn't surprise me, but on the Si, I wouldn't expect that to happen much.

djm1968

Passed Driver's Ed
Slowride said:
That isn't the only confusing thing you'll read.

The comparisons across the board are so varied, it makes a decision difficult. I saw a 1/4 mile on the 2006 Si at 14.7, which was a forum post from a guy who hit the track. I have seen a 0-60 of 6.2 for the Si and 6.3 on a GTI in MPH Magazine (whoever they are).

I just picked up my 06 GTI, Pkg 0, *only* option I ordered was DSG. Price, out the door, everything included, was $23500. That is here, in Portland Oregon where VW and Audi are *super* popular. I also agree that $29-31k for a GTI is way too much -- in my opinion, that is Audi territory. Never-the-less, I think for $21-24k, the GTI is a great car and a good deal for what you get.

Navi in a car? DVD and TFT display...in my car? NO THANKS. Wish I could have ordered the GTI without A/C, radio, etc.

Cheers,
DJM

Eviloliv3

Ready to race!
no, actually it gets bigger. The GTI is equal with the SI at 90, 0.6 seconds after at 100 and 0.7 seconds after at 110

A lower car indeed has effect. The lower a car, the less air can go under the car. That's better because the more wind goes under your car, the more it sort of rises, because the wind that goes under the car is sort of lifting the car up and that gets a lesser contact of the car with the road

not really...

the higher the speed, the more the car will want to take off, its not the air underneath lifting it up, its the body work lifting it up trying to cut through the air. at higher speeds you need something like a spoiler to push the car back down, the GTI is lacking in that area, hence less contact with the ground

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
not really...

the higher the speed, the more the car will want to take off, its not the air underneath lifting it up, its the body work lifting it up trying to cut through the air. at higher speeds you need something like a spoiler to push the car back down, the GTI is lacking in that area, hence less contact with the ground

You fail.