GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

springs or coil-over?????

cmcm

Drag Racing Champion
Guys
Just got the H&R springs from Tirerack today.
I was told that the coilover is way better than just replacing the springs.
Some members said the xenon was ok after the installation, some not.
any comments????:iono:

Gotfast?

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd say coilovers are always better than springs because you can adjust the hieght, damping, and also you get custom spring rates.

if you have the money to get coilovers than do it but otherwise springs are okay.

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to consider with going with just lowering springs (and not also replacing shocks) is that the stock shock's life will be shortened. But, by exactly how much, I don't know.

One other option you should consider besides just springs or full coilovers is to match independent springs and shocks yourself (might be cheaper than getting a coilover set). For example, I've heard of people matching the neuspeed springs to bilstein sport shocks.

Also, H&R has a cup kit out for MKV's. Might want to consider that too

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Directly from H&R:

H&R Comfort Cup-Kits & Sport Cup-Kits
For those that want more than just lowering springs Cup Kits are an ideal solution for aggressive looks and impressive handling at an affordable price. H&R's Cup Kits are specially engineered from the ground up with custom-designed springs and shocks that are developed together to work in perfect harmony.

Unlike competitors spring and shock kits, H&R Cup Kits are not merely a "matched" spring and shock package, but rather a specially engineered "solution" with springs and shocks being engineered individually in every application. This takes the guess work out of your spring and shock selection, and provides you with an application specific, precisely calibrated spring and shock set designed to deliver improved handling, uncompromised ride comfort and sleek styling in one precision engineered package.

The Cup-Kit Sport Shocks feature 30 - 60 mm rebound and shortened damper tube partially to guarantee sufficient spring pretension and bump travel.

Cup Kit applications will lower the vehicle's ride height by more than 50mm. As such, a camber adjusting device such as H&R's 'Triple C' Camber Adjustment Bolts are recommended

H&R Comfort Cup-Kits & Sport Cup-Kits Facts:
  • Precisely calibrated components
  • Sportive optics
  • Better handling
  • Progressive spring specifications
  • Shortened rebound sport shock absorbers

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Basically cup kit are like coilovers but without any adjustability (height, dampening, rebound). I think H&R's cup kit has either just recently hit the market, or will very shortly.

mk4gtiboy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
coilover are really expensive, for ur mk5 ur looking at 1400 bucks, when springs and shocks combo is about 600 bucks, same with cup kit, but u might want to watch out for negative camber, and rubbing issues

allx11

Drag Race Newbie
-Approximate Lowering - Front 2.2" Rear 1.6"
Matched Spring & Strut Package -
is this right 2.2 in the front thats kind of low

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
allx11 said:
-Approximate Lowering - Front 2.2" Rear 1.6"
Matched Spring & Strut Package -
is this right 2.2 in the front thats kind of low

Damn that's slammed! Wouldn't be surprised if that's right though since the US spec car sits so high stock.

allx11

Drag Race Newbie
JJ-R32 said:
Damn that's slammed! Wouldn't be surprised if that's right though since the US spec car sits so high stock.
You make a good point. Im contemplating geting this kit, what do u guy's think?

99swift99

Go Kart Champion
allx11 said:
You make a good point. Im contemplating geting this kit, what do u guy's think?

DOOOOOOIIITTT. Heh seriuosly measure out the gap on your car and if the drop is good then go for it cuz cupkits are the next best thing to coilovers, the springs+shocks are probably matched just as good as coilovers are and all youre missing is the adjustability. :thumbup:

allx11

Drag Race Newbie
99swift99 said:
DOOOOOOIIITTT. Heh seriuosly measure out the gap on your car and if the drop is good then go for it cuz cupkits are the next best thing to coilovers, the springs+shocks are probably matched just as good as coilovers are and all youre missing is the adjustability. :thumbup:

I just measured the gap it's goin to be low, but its even w/ the back droped 1.6. After the install the gap will be reduced to aproximatly 2 quaters of an inch! im going to doit!!! screw it :evil: i'll post the pics after the install.