GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forge Diverter Valve Spacer

8ty8 LS1

Passed Driver's Ed
it looks to me as if...this forge thing goin in in place of the recirculation valve which "directs excess air back into the intake side of the turbo which reduces turbo lag..." am i reading this right? by putting that atmospheric bov in...it increases turbo lag to a certain extent??? i'm a newb to VW's but not turbo cars...really..

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
Usually you have worse fuel economy when using an atmospheric bov because the car ends up running rich due to the false readings that the MAF sensor gets as the air which the ECU expects to receive is being released into the atmosphere instead of the engine hence screwing up the air/fuel mixtures. So the ECU ends up giving more fuel than expected, this usually results in backfiring as well and a very black bumper bar.

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
GTI2007 said:
A guy with a GTI on an other forum also mounted this Forge Diverter Valve and got a powergain of 6 HP and 28 Nm (21 lbs-ft)

This has to be a first. Do you have a link to this info?

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
Scotaku said:
Noisemaker.

You may or may not dent your mileage, but you're not increasing power, reducing brake distances, or providing greater safety with it for sure. In other words: a waste of money.

Spend it on something that will do all three. Performance driver training. :burnrubber:

You are right, the only thing is does is elongate the life of my turbo and safe me in case of wastegate failure. You call it a waste of money, I call it saving money from buying a new turbo.

Side note: Is it me or has this thread caused nothing but issues? HEHE

Brandon

Oval Newbie
lol Dubdr...it's not issues...it's good healthy debate i reckon.

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
I honestly dont think leaving it stock will damage your turbo, car companies put countless hours of R&D into the car before putting it into production and theres a reason why several car manufacturers use diverter valves on their turbo cars. If you guys are worried about hot air after being recirculated, you do realise that the turbo is just going to compress the air that it sucks back in which heats it up anyway.

On top of that they tune the car to run at a safe level so that theres some tolerance. Running standard boost won't kill your turbo just like that, there are several 15+ year old cars which use the standard turbo provided they have not been mistreated ie. regular oil changes and appropriate cool down before switching the engine off. I understand the GTIs have some sort of pump that works even after the engine is off to circulate the oil/coolant if i remember correctly? So this should ease it even more.

gatorfast

man amongst boys
anyone know if this bov voids the engine warranty?