GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do you Heel/Toe?

How do you Heel/Toe?

• Total voters
If you are unfamiliar with heel/toe it is the art of using the brake and gas at the or close to the same time.

more on heel toe can be found at this useful link:
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/howto/articles/45792/article.html

there are multiple methods and purposes of heel toe... the article above mentions its use for downshifting
(it can also be used during rallye to shift weight to the front of the car, then press the gas to start spinning the rear wheels and create oversteer)

YenPxxx

Drag Racing Champion
I heel/toe on regular streets only when I feel like flogging the car a little and feel like some kinda race car driver :burnrubber:

Horizon

Drag Race Newbie
I have to roll my foot from the brake to the accelerator, since my foot is too big.

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
How successful are you guys doing this?

I read on another forum a while ago that with the drive-by-wire systems on modern cars if you try and use brake and gas pedal together the electrics cut the gas (unless you are in Launch Control mode)..

Just curious if this is another myth..

101st_IanC said:
How successful are you guys doing this?

I read on another forum a while ago that with the drive-by-wire systems on modern cars if you try and use brake and gas pedal together the electrics cut the gas (unless you are in Launch Control mode)..

Just curious if this is another myth..

that is a very good point, now that i think of it i heard that if brake is pressed there is no throttle response (in the gti)

bubba_sideways

Passed Driver's Ed
The Edmunds article sucks.

I've been teaching race driving for, oh, 9 years, so here you go:

1. brake, with the ball of your foot on the right side of the brake pedal

2. depress clutch

3. select lower gear

4. blip throttle, with right side of foot (when practicing, you want the blip to be QUICK and big enough for a 2,000 rpm increase in engine speed)

5. release clutch

6. off brake

And there you have it! Let me know if you have any questions.

bubba_

davesee

FIA GT Champion
whats the best method (by experience with the gti dsg trans) to be quick off the line..?

while stopped at a light with foot on the brake, simply letting off the brake and gassing - there is a slight hesitation before actual acceleration. This is possibly the trans actually disengaging the clutch?

The gas input is essentially ignored while the brake is depressed in my gti..

Anyone have input on this?

It hasnt been a problem in the past, because with the slight delay she's still fast enough :biggrin:

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
Heel/toeing only works to rev match on downshifts in DBW cars, and even then you can only blip/brake to a limited effect. Basically if the brake is depressed to a certain degree then the throttle inpuit is cut electronically. This is a safety feature in emergency situations where more than one pedal can be pushed in and or stuck.

That being said the MK5 pedals are alot better for this than the mk4's were.