GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Well...it was either the GTI or the Si, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
I bought the Si.

The dealer I took the test drive at called me and offered me a deal I couldn't refuse. So, without getting a chance to drive the GTI, I made my choice.

I will admit, some of the threads about the GTI not starting and smoking brakes sort of scared me, but overall, I'm not sure if reliability was the biggest issue for me.

Both the GTI and Si are great cars, and some people will prefer one over the other, like me in this case.

I hope this doesn't make me some type of fugitive/enemy around here, since I still think the GTI is a great car, but just not the right one for me at this time. This could also be an opportunity for people here who want to know more about the Si, even from a competition standpoint, but didn't have an Si owner to ask.

Here is a pic...I am picking it up tonight.

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
Congrats on the new purchase. I know you'll probaly venture over to the Si forums, but don't become a stranger over here. I'm intersted to see how you like it as time goes on.

All I can say is, I hope your friends will enjoy the back seat. When I was purchasing my car, i thought of my friends too, not just myself, not saying you didn't. They love the headroom in the back of the GTI. I barely fit in the Si. Also, I hope you actually test drove the Si first. The dealer here doesn't keep any on the lot, and people buy it without testing it out whatsoever for over MSRP. DOn't know if you saw this.

Left is the GTI, Right is the Si
Head Room: Front 39.3 inches 37.8 inches
Head Room: Rear 38.5 inches 34.7 inches
Leg Room: Front 41.2 inches 42.6 inches
Leg Room: Rear 35.3 inches 30.3 inches
Shoulder Rm: Front 54.7 inches 53.9 inches
Shoulder Rm: Rear 54.6 inches 52.1 inches
EPA Passenger 94.2 cu.ft. 83.0 cu.ft.

Well congrats none the less.
like bouston said "dont be a stranger"
I for one would like to hear some of the advantages, disadvantages and possible similar experiences.

I like the trend I am seeing so far with these 2 cars... sometimes the rivalry is pretty deadly, and i hope we can keep it civil and realize that both cars may have their advantages, but to each his own.

.... it is really too bad you didnt get to test drive both before making your decision.
you may love your new SI but for good measure maybe stay away from the GTI to avoid regret:wink:

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
^Yeah, if you were considering the GTI I would have at least test drove the car.

HydroGTI

Drag Race Newbie
as jeremy clarkson said "when you buy a honda, youy end up with a honda, when you buy a VW you dont" :) lol jk, nice buy anyway, did u get it in MT had a CAI and a chip and u can feel the V-Tec power

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Well, I don't know if the test drive would have helped any to be honest.

With performance so similar, and features so close for the $20k price, I had to narrow it down to some intangibles.

Looks is one...I just personally prefer the coupe in this case. I can't apologize for that, since people like what they like. If that wasn't the case, we would all be driving one car in one color.

Long term reliability and resale value was another. One strong point the GTI had going for it was the fact that it has been out in Europe for awhile, so any problems should be corrected for the US release. Then, when threads pop up about the car not starting in random situations scared the hell out of me. What if I had a presentation for work and I was running a bit late? If I ran to my new GTI and it wouldn't start, my head would literally explode! I'm sure that problem will be solved, but I think you can understand my point.

Will either car be perfect? Of course not, but when someone is on the edge of buying a new car, small issues can really turn into huge issues.

Either way, I think the GTI or Si would be a good choice. The Si just ended up in the driveway this time.

35NYR

Ready to race!
Congrats on your purchase. And please take no offense, but you listed a whole bunch of stuff, like looks, perceived reliability and resale, etc.. but you didn't fairly compare the two cars in the one department that really matters, how the two cars actually stack up against each other when YOU drove it. In the end, that's what's most important to me and probably to the enthusiasts who hangout on internet forums :) Enjoy the car.

dmclone

Oval Champion
After owning a lot of Honda’s including an Si, I was set on buying a new Si. After driving both there was no comparison for me and I signed the papers for the GTI. I was also worried about the reliability but the more I thought about it I realized that there is no way I will keep the car for more then 3 years (never have before) and the warranty will cover me during this time. I love the Si’s hi-revving motor and it’s handling but I felt the GTI was just as fast if not faster and the extras that it comes with easily makes up the difference. On top of that the VW dealer was a lot easier to deal with. The Honda dealer wouldn’t budge on price because the Si is limited and so hard to get on hand.

As far as resale, I think the Honda will win out. I had a 00 Si that I paid $16,500 for brand new , drove it a year, sold it for $17K. It was the ideal situation and most likely will never happen again. It was unpimped (too old for that), electron blue (best color), and they quit making it which made it have great resale. Don’t ask me about the resale on the other cars I’ve purchased……

mllr

Go Kart Newbie
Congrats on the new ride, Honda does make some nice cars. The color looks great too! I really like how the new Honda line looks more aggressive like big brother Acura. Getting away from that older jellybean look. I've never owned anything other than German cars my whole life, but if I was to take the plunge into a new auto manufacture I'd look at both Acura/Honda, and Toyota/Lexus for sure. My only advice is... Like 'GTi Fanatic' already said, now that you've bought you SI I would stay far away from the GTI just incase of buyers remorse.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Congratulations on the purchase! Great car!

Nobody's gonna make you an enemy around here since we are not 16 year old ricer boys. But I do think, however, that you are missing out. Although it doesn't matter now, what's done is already done. As long as you are happy with it that's all it matters, enjoy the new ride!

Check out www.clubsi.com sometimes.

Ant1974

Ready to race!
lovely Car

You cant go wrong, honda have made over 35 million VTEC engines without a single failure. Just look around at old honda's and do you ever see blue smoke from the exhaust.In the UK honda has been top in the surveys for the last 3 years. Ayton Senna drove Honda's so that sums it up.Good Choice.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 976

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
congrats, definanatly a performer, i wanted one as well, but me and my family have always been dubbers at heart for decades. someones gotta carry the legacy.

alf

Status
Not open for further replies.