GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radio and Sat Sound Quality?

GoghVW

Rabbit Transit
The radio(everything sounds like AM including SAT) part of the new stereo is awful. On the plus side CD/MP3's sound great. Other than ditching the radio (more importantly the steering wheel controls) any other ideas? What do you think of your stereo?

Last edited:

nomios

Touring Car Champion
I think the sat radio sounds strange as well. Kinda tin can-ish if that makes sense. I have not tried out the regular radio yet. I have never used sat radio before so I don't know if this is normal or not. CD sounds good though.

mllr

Go Kart Newbie
AM/FM always sounds like moose poop if you ask me. When I test drove the car I listened to the XM and it sounded excellent. So I don't know what the deal was, but if you do choose to ditch the radio can't you configure the steering wheel controls to work with most new head units?

Last edited:

Deagle

Touring Car Champion
They're probably just too lazy to figure it out. People found out how to do it on the Maxima's (I'm coming from a Maxima forum, so I'm just using that to relate).

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Satellite radio shouldn't sound bad if its hard wired, which is what the factory units are, the only option is fm transmitted...so should sound fine...mine isn't bad, could be better but its descent. It should relate similar to cd quality, no static, and relatively clear. the only thing you could probably do keeping it stock, is put on an antenna booster...but yea steering wheel controls are only direct connected to factory stereo, so when I put my alpine double din in, there goes those buttons

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Your Alpine actually should work with the steering wheel controls. Alpine makes thier own steering wheel control adapter for their radios. Our Alpine rep said that thier adapter worked with pretty much everything out there. Screw the local shop and talk to Alpine......I will see if I can find more out. Also, there is a company out there called Installers Edge (owned by Rockford) who makes steering wheel adapters too. You have to know what radio you are putting the car into....it's more vehicle specific. Installers edge like most units out there is really just a glorified remote hard wired into the car.

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
I didn't care about the steering wheels controls, just wanted a better DVD player, with a nav ability...so Alpine has always been my die hard go to brand, love it, and it looks great with the dash, and crispy in the dark

Jedi VW

Ready to race!
my satalite radio sounds like crap too. I wonder if it is because i don't have it registered? I also seem to have like around 20 stations. aren't there supposed to be hundreds or am I crazy? maybe if I call the number that appears on my display from time to time it will sound better.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
Deagle said:
They're probably just too lazy to figure it out. People found out how to do it on the Maxima's (I'm coming from a Maxima forum, so I'm just using that to relate).
Same thing with Toyota. Eclipse's are supposed to work through the steering wheel controls without adapters. From what I've read Fujitsu-Ten makes Toyota's HUs as well as Eclipse.

My thoughts would be; find out who makes the stock HU for the GTI and talk to that manufacturer. If it's Alpine call Alpine, if it's Blaupunkt (are they even around anymore??) call Blaupunkt, etc....

I dunno, that's just my $0.02

bamafanjtm

Battle Royale Champ
HI All!!
I am new to this site and relly enjoy it! I just took my new GTI to the dealer today because of the stereo. This is the problem I am having: When I turn the volume up, there is no change in volume after about 17. Then, if I turn it down (once it is indicated at 29) using the steering wheel control there is a sharp increase in volume for a second or two and then it goes down on its own. This also happens if the volume is indicated at 29 and I touch any of the sound adjustment knobs (bass, mids, treble...etc). The dealership looked at it then called a tech rep at VW. VW said that they have had several similar complaints, don't know why it's happening, and put me on a list for when they figure it out. Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, I'd really like to hear about it! Thanks.... otherwise, this car is suhweeet!!!

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Yeah mine does it too. I heard it is a safety cut off from the factory so you don't blow the speakers. Probably to protect the paper 8" woofer in the door.

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
Theres always a down side to a car stereo...reguardless of the fact that theres so many speakers in it