GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

about 3 and 5 door GTI

koweansouljah4

Passed Driver's Ed
im new at this so here goes.
i guess most of u guys know about this, but i couldnt find any about this on the web so im wondering if the 3 door and 5 door GTI's are any different in their weight/speed. im pretty sure they are almost the same but just making sure :iono:

Deagle

Touring Car Champion
Well of course it will be a little heavier... I wouldn't expect more than ~ 100 lbs. It will have the same wheelbase and length though.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I'm sure its probably the same identical engine, but he's right, just more weight from the added doors...you might lose a small piece on your 1/4 but your friends will enjoy it...(assuming you go with a five dour), as for me, always been a coupe guy, probably stay that way till I die

ColdPlayer

Passed Driver's Ed
I happened to read a note from a semi-professional driver who drove both 3 and 5 door on a circuit course. He maintained that he wouldn't be surprised to hear anyone asserting that driving characteristics of 3 door and 5 door are identical.

So if he's right.... it's just a simple choice between the look and the convenience.

StookMK5

Passed Driver's Ed
ColdPlayer said:
I happened to read a note from a semi-professional driver who drove both 3 and 5 door on a circuit course. He maintained that he wouldn't be surprised to hear anyone asserting that driving characteristics of 3 door and 5 door are identical.

Yep us average joe drivers probably won't be able to tell at all :biggrin:

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
when you own a GTI you tend to be a bit over average joe because of your choice of vehicle...haha. I'm almost 21, 5 doors are too family guy oriented...

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
LivEToDrivE said:
when you own a GTI you tend to be a bit over average joe because of your choice of vehicle...haha. I'm almost 21, 5 doors are too family guy oriented...

Doesn't the fact that the 5 door looks better sway you? I want the 5 door anyway (short, lightweight front doors), but that it looks better too seals the deal.

Deagle

Touring Car Champion
LivEToDrivE said:

I'm 18 and I WANT the 5 door lol.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
There will be a slight weight gain on the 5door BUT all the tested performance figures i have seen theres so little in it its not worth thinking about. Even VW are not quoting the two weights.