GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs. GLI

rgcougar

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I am looking to buy either the GTI or GLI very soon. However, I would like to know if anyone has driven both and can tell a major difference in the responsiveness and speed. They both have been getting good reviews.

Dude123

Oval Champion
GTI is more sportier...maybe due to no trunk and 200less lbs

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
Look into your needs, I had to make the desition based on facts, I have 2 small kids, I have to tale the trolley, pampers, bags, etc, so its much more practicall for me and for my needs the GLI, but if I had no kids I´m sure I would get the GTI.

Ricardo

GTi Fanatic

Touring Car Champion
rica_roel said:
Look into your needs, I had to make the desition based on facts, I have 2 small kids, I have to tale the trolley, pampers, bags, etc, so its much more practicall for me and for my needs the GLI, but if I had no kids I´m sure I would get the GTI.

Ricardo

will they get the 5 door gti in mexico?

would that of changed your mind?

rica_roel

Rally Car Newbie
No I don´t think soo¡¡¡

GTi Fanatic said:
will they get the 5 door gti in mexico?

would that of changed your mind?

Nop I think I need the boot there is much more space than in the GTI.

In México they do not sale the GTI V not yet, they are still figuring the price tag, taxes. The problem is that they say that would be much more expensive than the GLI that is built in Mexico and for reasons of importation and taxes, so its coming they say in may, they price it stills an enigma.

Let see how it came I let you Know

Cheers

Ricardo

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
I've driven both, I was underwhelmed by the GLI although it admittedly had 3 people in it at the time. The GTI has an adequate trunk and actually MORE room in the back seat since the roof doesn't slope. If you want practicality, wait for the 5 door. If you want something with a proper trunk, just get the GLI, it's not like you will remember any difference after you've driven a hundred miles. They're both very nice cars.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
I've driven both. The GTI (obviously) is more nimble. The Jetta did fine as far as power is concerned IMO. For a responsible adult car with a sporty backbone the GLI is a great car...if it's 'too slow' for you there's always APR programming. I found that the GLI had no trouble blasting up onramps...it even pulled pretty good at 50 MPH in 6th gear.

I only drove the GTI on a twisty road and not in the interstate. I drove the GLI on both the twisty and the interstate. The Jetta didn't feel as sporty or fast as the Golf through the twisties...but again, the Jetta is not the sporty car the Golf is.
On the interstate the Jetta was smooth & comfortable...and easy to speed in :wink: I found myself doing better than 80 without knowing it. Not bad for a 4cyl.

b.t.w. both were manual.

AdvanSuper

Banned
FUCKING NECRO BUMPING TARDS!