GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

cat-back vs. turbo-back exhaust

chopstik

Ready to race!
hi,

new to turbo'd cars....was wondeirng what the advantage of having either one of these exhausts are.....looking to get an exhaust in the near future, but don't know why one would get a specifici exhaust....also, how easy are these to install??? i installed my m3 exhaust which is pretty easy....i hope it's just as easy with this car....

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
Cat-back is usually from the axle-back (the rear section of the exhaust). A turbo-back is just what the name says. They tend to have piping that is larger in diameter when compared to OEM. They usually don't have catalyytic converters either. Resulting in a free flowing exhaust. Thus gaining more power. Best mod for a turbo charged car :thumbsup:

chopstik

Ready to race!
Bouston said:
Cat-back is usually from the axle-back (the rear section of the exhaust). A turbo-back is just what the name says. They tend to have piping that is larger in diameter when compared to OEM. They usually don't have catalyytic converters either. Resulting in a free flowing exhaust. Thus gaining more power. Best mod for a turbo charged car :thumbsup:

thanks for you reply....so what you're saying is that the turbo-back exhaust is better for performance than cat-back?.......

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
Bouston, the turbo-vback exhaust starts from where (which part)?

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
chopstik said:
hi,

new to turbo'd cars....was wondeirng what the advantage of having either one of these exhausts are.....looking to get an exhaust in the near future, but don't know why one would get a specifici exhaust....also, how easy are these to install??? i installed my m3 exhaust which is pretty easy....i hope it's just as easy with this car....

Can't wait to hear an M3 owner's opinion of the GTI! :thumbsup:

Bouston

Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
GTI 2.0T said:
Bouston, the turbo-vback exhaust starts from where (which part)?

The exhaust side(back side) of the turbo.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
thanx bouston:thumbsup:

*EDIT: This means the whole exhaust system, from the engine and down?? sorry for the stupid question, but ones gotta know, right?

Last edited:

Bouston

Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
GTI 2.0T said:
thanx bouston:thumbsup:

*EDIT: This means the whole exhaust system, from the engine and down?? sorry for the stupid question, but ones gotta know, right?

Yep, from the turbo all the way back to the exhaust tip. The whole entire exhaust.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
Ok thans again:biggrin:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Is there anything out there yet from the aftermarket manufacturers that actually has dyno proof? I would like to buy an exhaust here this summer soon, preferably the quad tip.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Tastey biscuits!!