GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"DSG: Stick Shift R.I.P."

GTT

Touring Car Champion
erick.s said:
I'm on the fence about this whole DSG thing. I like both and I bought the one with the clutch pedal. I think I could have been happy with the DSG, but as it is still a very new technology I was afraid that there could be problems that crop up down the road. After a few years, if it seems to be holding up and people get to put lots of miles on them without problems, then I'd be more likely to pony up. I guess I'm taking a "wait and see" perspective on this one.

Good point.

TT

AlEkZ

Ready to race!
erick.s said:
I'm on the fence about this whole DSG thing. I like both but I bought the one with the clutch pedal. I think I could have been happy with the DSG, but as it is still a very new technology I was afraid that there could be problems that crop up down the road. After a few years, if it seems to be holding up and people get to put lots of miles on them without problems, then I'd be more likely to pony up. I guess I'm taking a "wait and see" perspective on this one.

also, for those of us who'd like to mod the car a little(chip/intake/exhaust) will DSG be able to take some extra power or are we better off with a manual?

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
AlEkZ said:
also, for those of us who'd like to mod the car a little(chip/intake/exhaust) will DSG be able to take some extra power or are we better off with a manual?

DSG will take the power. Remember, it's been available on Audis for awhile now (in near-identical format as well with the A3 2.0T and the 3.2)

AlEkZ

Ready to race!
cmdrfire said:
DSG will take the power. Remember, it's been available on Audis for awhile now (in near-identical format as well with the A3 2.0T and the 3.2)

DSG is new to me, not really familiar with audis :redface:

but its great to know that it can take some extra punch cuz since it will most likely be my daily driver as well, gotta have the auto for heavy traffic.:burnrubber:

peruski

Passed Driver's Ed
I was very skeptical of the DSG as I am a manual fan...then I drove one.

I took a ride in a DSG equipped GLI back in November of last year...I am in love.
it is not humanly possible to shift that quick...and the performance numbers don't lie...DSG is the quickest way to get from A to B. I am sold. My 5 door will be DSG equipped.

the only nits I have to pick are these. I have heard that the DSG's are not designed to handle more than 300 ft-lbs of torque before they intervien and pull back throttle...however they were used in VW's trio of Turbocharged SEMA cars (all 500+ hp) . HPA also sells a single turbo kit for the DSG equipped Audi TT 3.2's that are far north of that TQ number....so that is still up for debate.

And the US software doesn't hold on to the revs as long as the European...something that I am sure tuners will address in short order.

natonicGTI06

Go Kart Champion
I to thought that it was CHEZZY to have a DSG, but after i drove it and heard the sound that the exhaust made i was like WTF was that. Plus my girlfriend can not drive a stick and i dont want to replace a cluchs(spelling sorry) so i am get the DSG

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I was contemplating this same issue. The only things that hang me up on a manual is my pride in my shifting ability and being able to "blurp" the throttle when I had a cammed 99 Z28 Camaro. I know for a fact I can shift very quickly, but I also know I can't beat that .08 sec DSG shifting. I guess I've always categorized auto transmissions right there with nitrous oxide. When I went drag racing for fun, we usually paired up manual with manuals, auto. vs autos. You can launch a manual at very high rpms (ie 5500-6500 rpms) as long as you have a built drivetrain and a super strong clutch, but you couldn't be any harder on the car. An automatic with a higher stall speed torque converter usually dominates in drag racing.

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
one of the main reasons i want a VW is for the german gearbox. like bmw and porsche it has one of the smoothest and nicest feel of any tranny out there. after a friend of mine let me drive his m3 i thought bmw had the smoothest tranny's but another friend of mine has a vw and it had the same feel. to cut things short i want the feel of the six speed manual and wont settle for a paddle. sorry

Wargen023

Autocross Newbie
I thought i would go with the DSG when i started looking in to the GTI. But after a couple of testdrives i wasnt that sure. I thought it was gonna be manual for real. It ended up with a manual and i like that gearbox very much, its a joy to shift :burnrubber:

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Slowride said:
I didn't have a choice of DSG when I bought my car, but I will NEVER own a car with anything but a 6 Speed.

Why?

My wife doesn't know how to drive manual vehicles.

Best reason EVER!

You win :biggrin:

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
Slowride said:
I didn't have a choice of DSG when I bought my car, but I will NEVER own a car with anything but a 6 Speed.

Why?

My wife doesn't know how to drive manual vehicles.
fckn wrd.