GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

front mount intercooler?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
So did we determin that the intercooler is part of the radiator? It would suck if it was.

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
I'm curious to see how an aftermarket intercooler would fit into all of this.

Brandon

Oval Newbie
loccusst...why would it suck if the intercooler and radiator were one?

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
If you look at the picture above it's actually an intercooler & a radiator in one. I'm still not sure how they work toghether though.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
Brandon said:
loccusst...why would it suck if the intercooler and radiator were one?
For one it's probably alot more expensive to replace. Two, I would think that the heat given off of the radiator part would bleed over to the intercooler part. But then again, I'm not a German engineer, so what do I know? :iono:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
It would suck because of putting in an aftermarket intercooler may require replacing the radiator with aftermarket too. The heat from the radiator bleeding to the intercooler might be an issue....maybe the intercooler is on bottme and radiator on top? Like the thing is split into two parts?

So yes I am new to the whole Turbo thing, but the intercooler does what exactly? It brings the air from the turbo to front of the car to cool it down and sends it back to ______ for the purpose of_____. Correct? Or does it send liquid?

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
I believe the intercooler is an air to air cooler.
What happens is when the turbo compresses the air it causes the air to get alot hotter. This heated pressurized air is sent through the intercooler to cool it off on its way to the intake of the engine.

This will probably do a much better job of explaining than I could do.
Linky

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
bennylenny88 said:
MY EYES!! lol this is wayyyy to confusing...
Really? I thought the picture made it pretty simple.
"ambient air inlet" is where the air filter would be and the "exhaust gas discharge" is where the exhaust system would hook up. If you understand that you should be able to figure the rest out. But then again, I have been reading about and working on cars for about the last 19 years, so maybe things that seem simple to me may not be so simple for others to understand...kinda like me and computers lol

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
gotcha :thumbsup:
If that's the case (you'll hate to hear this) but stick with the 1.4 until you've got a few years under your belt. As spiderman's grandpa once said, "with great power comes great responsibility". lol
Seriously though, if you really want to learn about this stuff (engine, performance, etc.) start picking up books & magazines, also google is your friend, there are a ton of very informative sites out there that should be able to help you increase your knowledge (I noticed, in another thread, you asked if you could add a turbo to your car...odds are a turbo is not a bolt on affair and if you don't know what you're doing you will trash things very quickly). Something else you might try to do is to befriend the guys at a local speed shop. Buddy up with them, be their tool b!tch, and you'll be supprised how quickly you can pick things up. Plus you'll gain friends with more knowledge and a place to work on your ride (complete with tools!) :biggrin:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
The best advice I would give a 17 year old with this car is join your local SCCA. Join up and learn how your car handles in the real world not on T.V. or in a movie.