GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM body kit or paint the black bits

baat06

Drag Racing Champion
I'm leaving mine black... why?

I was parked outside a restuarant while my wife ran in (lol, my fast won't let me leave the car) and this crappy minivan parked behind me and bumped me with their license plate. I got out, told em to start their car and back it up. A guy got out and apologized, apparently the girl driving is a tart. Minor mark that should rub out when i give it a full detailing.

I do love the kit, but can't trust stupid drivers.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
So you wont mod the body because of idiots out there? Why take the car out of the garage? Not trying to be an ass.

baat06

Drag Racing Champion
Exterior mods? No, not for a while. Scratches, dents marks, etc REALLY piss me off. I'm not putting a dime into something that a careless person might damage. For me it's not worth it.

Edit: For the record, the car should have no black ext parts, including the fin antenna.

marcinek

Touring Car Newbie
Their Votex kit is HELLA expensive, ridiculous actually. It doesn't add that much, and costs as much as the most expensive aftermarket kits out there(IE caractere). They should lighten up, I mean $500 for a painted rear bumper is complete bullshit.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I think unfortunatly for a while there wont be too much for us that will be cheap and good at the same time. I would just like a good rumble to the sound of the car. I would like to hear the exhaust .....but not be annoying. As far as the outside...simple, but cool looking.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
The reason the GTI has the black lining at the bottom is a hark back to the black pinstripe of the original GTI.
If you look at the Mk5 R32, the side skirts on that are painted to match the body, so it's not a question of VW skimping or anything. It's all part of trying to be different, yet similar to the Mk1 (and I'm talking about the real Mk1, not the MkII that you guys got in the US).

GTT

Touring Car Champion
On that VW features.com site it say that the parts have to be painted. However, the accessories booklet says the parts come prepainted.
So, you ordered a car with the body kit?
How much extra did it cost?

If the parts come prepainted then I'm going with a discount parts seller and I'll do the install myself. It isn't that difficult. But, if I can't get a good discount I'll just go for the paint.
The VW body kit is very subtle and not much different than the black bits already there.
The biggest change is the front lip which looks cool as I don't like overdone body kits.

A widebody kit would probably look really sharp on this car with some 275/35 series tires. :)

TT

nomios

Touring Car Champion
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
Everything that is on VW Features.com is available. I configured my car and got it exactly as I wanted.

I find that hard to believe...so what exactly did you get? And how long will you be waiting for it?

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
nomios said:
I find that hard to believe...so what exactly did you get? And how long will you be waiting for it?

I choose the color - United Gray
Slapped on the body kit.
got the sunroof
threw on the 18' Khartoum rims
choose Sirius Sat for my radio
put the red piping mats in

emailed the car via vwfeatures.com to the 3 dealerships closest to my house requesting a price quote for the car exactly as it was configured in my test drive with Helga. All 3 responded quickly. First one was annoying and wanted me to come in, didn't seem to want to do business via e-mail (his loss). 2nd was a woman who quoted me a totally different car, becuase it was on her lot, she didn't even know the difference between the 18' inch wheels I wanted and the Hufs, also forgot to mention XM was in the car. 3rd guy was a rock-star (Tom Board at Dwight Harrison VW in Snellville GA.) First found a car that was United Gray with Package 1 Sirius Sat and the stock 17's (so I wouldn't have to pay for the hufs, since there coming off anyway's) Quoted me on that. Spent the next 2 day's compiling a price list of the add-on's I wanted, came back to me with invoice prices for the kit, rims, tires etc... also quoted me on the shop costs to put the kit and wheels on. Did everything for $500.00 over invoice + $200.00 to get the car delivered from Florida (about 380 miles away). I told him that's too high, he dropped to $150.00 over invoice + delivery. I told him i'm not paying for the car to be brought to me. Ended up getting the car for $150.00 over invoice. Signed the papers on Monday the 6th of March, car was there on the 7th. Test drove it to make sure it was all good. Parts were all in by the 10th, car in shop now, hopefully ready tommorow or Tuesday. ONE LOVE>

PS: Votex kit comes unpainted.

nomios

Touring Car Champion
Unpainted! well cross that kit one off my list. The main reason I wanted that one was because it was factory painted.

Please post picks of those Khartoums! Those were the wheels I wanted :drool:

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
nomios said:
Unpainted! well cross that kit one off my list. The main reason I wanted that one was because it was factory painted.

Please post picks of those Khartoums! Those were the wheels I wanted :drool:

It's not factory painted, but it get's painted at the VW bodyshop which uses the original paint from Germany so it's an exact match. If you want to go with a more aggressive aftermarket kit, you can probablly get a local body shop to get the paint from VW, and paint any kit. It doesn't matter if it's painted at the factory in Germany or here, as long as the paint code is an exact match, your all good. I will post pics of my ride ASAP.

Last edited:

Michail

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got them painted, and sure looks much nicer.
BUT on the GTI i'd prefer them left black...Gives a wilder look to the car...

GTI2007

I don't like those black bits on the GTI. To my opinion the GTI looks cheaper with those black bits on it. I would let paint those stock black bits if I wouldn't put on a aftermarket bodykit