GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are you paying for your GTI?

GTT

Touring Car Champion
LivEToDrivE said:
the thing with edmonds and online services like them, is that their invoice prices, are an estimated invoice price...the best way to find out true stats, are to go to your bank, they usually have a book of invoice prices for new cars there, so that way when you do the loan thing, your info is already available

Edmunds has exact invoice info, not estimates.
The only failure that edmunds has is that BMW, Audi and MB acually have an "advertising" fee that they do charge to their dealers so that will be the difference from an Edmunds invoice to a "real" invoice".
I know with BMW the actual dealer invoice is about $250 more than what edmunds lists.
With most every other manufacturer, including VW, edmunds has the correct numbers.
I was offered $500 below invoice and the price offered by the dealer was exactly $500 under the invoice listed by edmunds.

You have to watch the dealers even harder these days as they know the consumers have access to more info than every before. So, they can create and "invoice" that may not exactly be a real invoice. Make sure to look at the dealer supplied invoice very carfefully so that it list ONLY the options on the car and the price of the car and shipping. Advertising fees can be on the invoice as well, and it's up to the buyer to decide if they negociate those costs as well.
However, if the dealer has "paint protetction" and "security etching" listed on the "invoice", it's BS. Go elsewhere.

T

GTT

Touring Car Champion
bigdyno said:
I don't know about stateside, but up here in Canada Sunoco 94 is an ethanol enriched fuel. I t is good for the numbers, but it doesn't make the same as good old dino juice. Also, there are some rubber and plastic parts in the fuel systems that don't like ethanol and you can actually do damage to some parts.
My car is costing me $35,6?? (cad) after all taxes and delivery, the only other thing I have to pay is for a plate. I am only optioning in the sun roof, but the car up here is a little different in standard trim, what exactally I am not sure. Are you guys getting the 18's delivered in the states yet?

Modern cars are built to handle the ethanol added to regular gasoline.
I don't know about Canada, but in the US the mixture is limited to 10% of the total.
Modern fuel systems handle that small amount without problems and damage.
That fear is a hold over from days gone by, and those types of things take a long time to get
of the public conscienous. It's like the synthetic oil myth that synth oil will make your engine leak oil cause synth attacks gaskets and seals. UNTRUE, but the concept still exists.

TT

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
Stopped at the dealer this weekend. I am quite sure the GTI is the car I will purchase. Anyway, we talked price with the clear indication that I was NOT buying the car that day.

My spec was:
United Gray
Package 1 with Sirius
Rubber Mats and Gorilla Liner
Stock 17" wheels
6 speed Manual.

MSRP: $24,175
Dealer Offer $22,000 before fees/license/tax, etc.

That is with 4.9% financing for 60months from VW. There is also 3.9% for 48 months also from VW.

He was very pushy to get me to buy the car that day. So I will say that the exact conversation was "even if I sold it to you for $22,000, you still wouldn't buy the car today? I'm not saying that's my offer, but would you buy today if I did sell it for that?" Of course I made it clear I wouldn't buy the car that day no matter what. But even if he claims that $22,000 was a theoretical offer, my belief is that if he throws out a number, that's considered an offer to me. No trade in.

If I buy the car, I'll follow up on what the final price is.

Looking here and elsewhere, this seems to be a very good offer....

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I got the exact same package here in Iowa except with xm not sirius for 23,175. The invoice on that car at my dealership was 22,170.....so if you are getting it for 22,000 that's good jerome81.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I bet you can get a smoking deal on a leftover last gen GTI. I guess it would be a good car as long as you don't test drive a MKV. I just never liked the transmission or shifter in it.

erick.s

Autocross Champion
I paid $21,277 for my package 0 stick GTI. That's including destination and doc fees but not tax, tags, etc.

chopstik

Ready to race!
earthtoandy said:
I just picked up a 6SPD GTI, United Grey, Package 2, Gorilla mats for just over 24k

i checked edmunds and kbb....when i priced out the car, it came out to 24,535 invoice minus taxes, etc.....the dealer invoice showed me 24,919....should i bring this up with him?? and if so what should i ask?
thanks

-roger

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
Well I dont know how well that will work simply because I have a deal through my company with VW. I get VWs at least invoice plus any customer incentives... But it gives you an Idea what they are really paying. Remember this month they also have a 1000$ marketing support incentive from corporate, so thats more room to play with. Its possible to get it under invoice if you find a desperate enough salesman, maybe wait til the end of the month. Otherwise I would expect to pay near or around 500$ over the invoice listed on edmunds. Seems fair

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
It never hurts to talk to the salesman, asking questions about invoice and yada yada, but Earthtoandy is definitely right about buying at the end of the month. I actually bought my car at invoice when it was said and done, because they were desperate to hit that "VW's sold" quota. The thing you have to have in the back of your head though, is that if they arn't willing to bargain and their being fishy about it, you have to have the balls to walk away, because if your patient, a lot of times theres another dealership who's willing to do better. In my location there are approximately 9 VW dealerships, in the near area, and I narrowed it down to one, who gave me the best deal. Competition is the best marketing tool you've got.

uberGTI

Passed Mr. Ed
Car(s)
2008 R32
marx92x said:
I feel pretty good about the deal I got. The hardest choice was color - They all look good (except the silver). So I let the dealer stock make the color choice for me. $23500 - Black Magic - Pkg 1 with DSG $25,400 OTD

$50 under the "dealers invoice" - which is about $300 over the listed invoice.

Sounds like you got hooked up. What dealer did you use? I bought my MKIII and MKIV at Camelback but I might need to explore other options.

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
earthtoandy said:
Well I dont know how well that will work simply because I have a deal through my company with VW. I get VWs at least invoice plus any customer incentives... But it gives you an Idea what they are really paying. Remember this month they also have a 1000$ marketing support incentive from corporate, so thats more room to play with. Its possible to get it under invoice if you find a desperate enough salesman, maybe wait til the end of the month. Otherwise I would expect to pay near or around 500$ over the invoice listed on edmunds. Seems fair

I haven't seen any factory to dealer marketing incentives listed on edmunds. Can you verify this somewhere?

And what are the "legit" fees at VW?