GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DVD Navigation + iPod?

digason

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I'm looking at getting a new GTI and am a bit curious about the iPod connectivity. From what I've seen here, it looks like the standard iPod connectivity treats the iPod as a CD changer. Does anybody know if upgrading to the DVD Navigation system will allow you to use your ipod a little more like an iPod instead of limiting you to a set of playlists?

Just burn an mp3 CD with different folders for your music or artists or albums, whatever you want. Play it in the 6 CD Changer. 6 CDs x 200 Songs = 1200 Songs = 4,200MB (3.5MB average). It's safer than fiddling with the iPod.

CD
>Artist1
>>Album1
>>Album2
>German Pop
>Alternative Rock
>Artist 2
>>Album 1
>>Album 2
>>Album 3

digason

But that wouldn't be any different than using a limmited set of playlists on my iPod and takes more work to do. My point is I want to be able to use my iPod in the car and have it function differently than a CD changer. I was just curious if the Nav system installation offered me that ability.

Also, that's an aful lot of CDs to burn considering that I have a 60GB iPod.

nomios

Touring Car Champion
I do not think you will get anymore iPod usability with Nav. It will work in the same crappy way... no track info, limited playlists, etc. The only plus with the factory system with iPod connection is the ability to use the steering wheel controls.

My suggestion, don't pay VW $1,800 for this subpar nav system. Go with the new Pioneer AVIC-Z1

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_3151_295632461,00.html

It will run you about 1,500 when it comes out later this month. It is a double din system and has a factory look. Of course you will need the optional iPod adapter
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_2007714_192089315,00.html

This system is also bluetooth ready so you can integrate your cell phone into your audio system.

BigBadBri

Passed Driver's Ed
TeknoGroover said:
Just burn an mp3 CD with different folders for your music or artists or albums, whatever you want. Play it in the 6 CD Changer. 6 CDs x 200 Songs = 1200 Songs = 4,200MB (3.5MB average). It's safer than fiddling with the iPod.

Does the 6cd changer with the sat Nav option play MP3's. I haven't seen that advertised anywhere in the UK brochures.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
BigBadBri said:
Does the 6cd changer with the sat Nav option play MP3's. I haven't seen that advertised anywhere in the UK brochures.

I have the na w/6disc changer and it does NOT play mp3 cd's. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer on a VW iPod adapter..

BigBadBri

Passed Driver's Ed
davesee said:
I have the na w/6disc changer and it does NOT play mp3 cd's. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer on a VW iPod adapter..

Ive ordered up a MP3 player/HD that also transmits to FM so that I can listen to it through radio. Not as good as if the standard VW gear had played MP3's but it will do for now.

AJW

Go Kart Newbie

nomios

Touring Car Champion
You might as well get the OEM VW kit. The one on eBay has no advantage to VWs unless you have an external CD changer, but why would you have that anyway??

davesee

FIA GT Champion
nomios said:
You might as well get the OEM VW kit. The one on eBay has no advantage to VWs unless you have an external CD changer, but why would you have that anyway??

nomios - I chose to get the nav in mine, while unaware that doing so would make me have a cd changer that doesnt support mp3's..

if i were to get the factory vw adapter, then I would lose my disc changer ability completely - which in turn would make it so i couldnt play any cd's whatsoever..

nomios

Touring Car Champion
davesee said:
nomios - I chose to get the nav in mine, while unaware that doing so would make me have a cd changer that doesnt support mp3's..

if i were to get the factory vw adapter, then I would lose my disc changer ability completely - which in turn would make it so i couldnt play any cd's whatsoever..

Isn't the beauty of having an iPod the fact that you don't need to haul around CD's? Doesn’t sound like a tough decision to me... 6 CDs in the changer or 600 on your iPod... :iono:

macmons

Any iPod will be able to connect?

Hi
Have just ordered a new GTI included i.e DVD navigation and the iPod support for delivery in Mai/June.
Related to that my question is: Can all models of iPod be connected? or is the space under the armrest between the seats limited? I mean, can I connect both our Nano and the new 60 Gb?

Thanks in advance.