GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Additional Security

BigBadBri

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone have any additional security devices fitted to their car? Is this just for peace of mind or is it to be a necessity for where you live.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
BigBadBri said:
Does anyone have any additional security devices fitted to their car? Is this just for peace of mind or is it to be a necessity for where you live.

Please describe any aftermarket devise that would signifantly improve security over the OEM system. There is nothing.

The VW OEM system works because folks who steal know the VW system is too much of a problem to overcome and make the car run. They go for easier targets. They don't even consider attempting to steal a VW.

This leaves the VW untouched and undamaged in most cases.

The only good system prevents the car from being tampered with. Any system that makes noise once the car is damaged or helps recover a lost car is useless because I would no longer want to own a damaged car.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
what I can suggest, its about 500 or so, plus install depending on where you get it, its an after market alarm system, which works very good. Its the Viper 791. The convenient, things is that if the car is even touched w/ any kind of a force, the mercury sensor is easily agitated, and goes off relativily immediately. The shock sensors are very good. The convenient thing to this is, that it has an LED screen on the remote...and as soon as the car is touched, it actually sends a message to your remote, showing you where the car was touched, so you can make quick action. If you need something even better than that...take that remote and add on a perimeter sensor, thats sensative up to 2 feet off the car in all directions....let me know if you have more questions...not sure if this is what you were talking about

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
McGards Locking wheel bolts..:cool:

There are very limited number of keys for the bolts that come as standard (9 I believe) and there fore are easy to get hold of. :cry:

I had some McGard Ultras on my TT and will get some on the Golf..

BigBadBri

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the replies.

I'm fairly confident that my car wont get stolen. Its just I see more and more cars fitted with steering wheel locks, wheel clamps, flashy lights, etc. and wanted to know if anyone puts any faith in these devices or considers them a worthwhile investment.

I'm always more worried about the damage someone might cause trying to get into your car, especially by little punks that aren't interested in the car just the £1 you accidently dropped on the floor.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
101st_IanC said:
McGards Locking wheel bolts..:cool:

There are very limited number of keys for the bolts that come as standard (9 I believe) and there fore are easy to get hold of. :cry:

I had some McGard Ultras on my TT and will get some on the Golf..
I can confirm this is the case in the UK and i know of a few VWs been targeted for there alloys of late.

I still think security window film is a good investment for security.

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
NorthGTI said:
Please describe any aftermarket devise that would signifantly improve security over the OEM system. There is nothing.

The VW OEM system works because folks who steal know the VW system is too much of a problem to overcome and make the car run. They go for easier targets. They don't even consider attempting to steal a VW.

Yeah but if you have a custom trunk/hatch with all carbonfiber panels on the sides, and 2 12'' w7s on them, xr series speakers from jl audio, and a dvd player/nav unit from alpine you need somethin better than stock. Go with viper, i had them in the past and it was the best alarm to use.

NewYorkMike

So hot right now. . .
Dubdr said:
I have a hidden kill switch that I spliced into the fuel pump relay. If they get in the aren't going anywhere.

I'd like to see that!

I have had 2 cars stolen with 1 resulting in a fatality. Nothing can describe the feeling of coming out and NOT seeing your car where you left it. Its quite horrible. Then seeing yourself on CNN becuase as your stolen car was speeding around Phoenix and plowing into oncoming traffic, another was in a hi-speed chase with the POPO.

I still have nightmares about my GTI not being parked where I left it....its sickening.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Icranon said:
Yeah but if you have a custom trunk/hatch with all carbonfiber panels on the sides, and 2 12'' w7s on them, xr series speakers from jl audio, and a dvd player/nav unit from alpine you need somethin better than stock. Go with viper, i had them in the past and it was the best alarm to use.

If a car has this stuff on it, it is no longer a VW, IMO. It's resale value is much reduced.

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
yeah but so is about 90% of the stuff that is done or said on the website. a exhaust, body kit, intake, chip, it all the same. Plus i would not call changing the speakers with much better ones and changing the head unit making the car different. Maybe the trunk area cause of the side panels, but when it comes time to get rid of it can all be taken out and replaced with stock stuff

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
NewYorkMike said:
I'd like to see that!

I have had 2 cars stolen with 1 resulting in a fatality. Nothing can describe the feeling of coming out and NOT seeing your car where you left it. Its quite horrible. Then seeing yourself on CNN becuase as your stolen car was speeding around Phoenix and plowing into oncoming traffic, another was in a hi-speed chase with the POPO.

I still have nightmares about my GTI not being parked where I left it....its sickening.

I live in Chandler, I know how you feel the valley sucks when it comes to stolen cars.:mad: