GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering Wheel Controls Questions

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
Did a search and came up a bit empty.

My question specifically pertains to controlling the radio/cd/sat through the duplicate wheel buttons.

On my couple test drives, it seemed that I could only control the stereo volume through the buttons on the wheel, but could not change tracks/stations with any sort of up down buttons. I tried the up and down arrows on the right of the wheel, but nothing happened. I'm now assuming that they only control the computer.

So, is it possible to change tracks along with the volume or does it only work for volume? If so, I think this might be the first car i know of with wheel controls that do not change tracks.

nomios

Touring Car Champion
There is a button on the steering wheel that looks kinda like a computer. This button lets you cycle through all of the multi function computer settings. Cycle through, if the stereo is on it will display the stereo info on the Multi function display as well as let you control tracks or preset stations with the up down steering wheel buttons.

Texas_MkV

FIA World Rally Car Champion
You can turn off the menu, if that is what you mean.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Jerome81 said:
Did a search and came up a bit empty.

My question specifically pertains to controlling the radio/cd/sat through the duplicate wheel buttons.

So, is it possible to change tracks along with the volume or does it only work for volume? If so, I think this might be the first car i know of with wheel controls that do not change tracks.

What did the owner's manual say? Was that part of your "search"?

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
NorthGTI said:
What did the owner's manual say? Was that part of your "search"?

Don't own the car, this was just from a test drive.

Searched the forum but didn't see anything.

Thanks for the info.

Double-V

Go Kart Champion
On my test drive, I noticed a little telephone button - is this for bluetooth? It didn't do anything when I was pushing it... I didn't find any info on vw.ca, and the Canadian GTI cannot be equipped with nav.

CopperAddict

Autocross Newbie
Get rid of the backlighted buttons on the steering wheel?

You must be easily distracted, or turning the wheel too much.

The lights on the steering wheel are so low-key, I barely notice them at night.

Umm....maybe sunglasses might work for you?

Pete

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Double-V said:
On my test drive, I noticed a little telephone button - is this for bluetooth? It didn't do anything when I was pushing it... I didn't find any info on vw.ca, and the Canadian GTI cannot be equipped with nav.

As far as I've been able to work out, in the UK at least, it means you can recieve calls and disconnect the phone if you've got telephone preparation.

I understand that in the Deutchland you can get a phone built-in to the car (not just phone prep) and you can use it to make/recieve calls, and access a phone menu that lets you select numbers etc (much like the system found in Mercs, Porsches, etc).
I have yet to hear/see concrete evidence of this though, beyond an early GTI brochure.

Double-V

Go Kart Champion
Double-V said:

I got an answer tonight. At least in Canada, it is for Bluetooth, but you have to get a kit installed, and it will only work with Motorola phones. Boo-urns! Since RIM is a client of my firm, I'm not too delighted with that!