Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
thanx for clearing that matter guys..:thumbsup:

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Just a side note on the M3 part, two different owners traded the new body M3 for new GTI's if you can believe that. One of them is in the VW showroom, the other sold it to an import store. I found that quite amazing. The one guy told my salesman that it doesn't matter how fast it is when you're always in traffic and that he found the GTI more fun to drive.

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
I will tell u something wantagti, I dont think I would trade an M3 for a GTI. I mean come on its just a GTI and it can never be compared to the M3. M3 is known as the best engine and most power output engine with no turbo no supercharge nada. So come on, whoever is trading an M3 or selling it, is a question of no longer being able to afford to keep one not that they like the GTI more.

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
^ I totaly agree. The GTI is a great car, but if I could afford an M3, I'd get an M3. Maybe the guy just wanted something that required lower maintenence, cheaper insurance, & gets better gas mileage :iono:

onthevirg

Oval Champion
TurboBack in Cali

If you were to go to a turboback exhaust, does that have a significant effect on being able to smog the car? Not sure if that's even an issue in other states, but if you can't pass smog out here, you're screwed, they don't register your car. Be a pita to drop all that money on an exhaust only to have to take it off to get registered. Anyone have any experience w/ this?

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
No experience with that, but I imagine if you have the proper tools + ramps or jackstands (or a hoist if you're really cool) it shouldn't be too bad. Especially in Cali, you guys don't have to deal with salt on the roads.

Incase you didn't know..salt = rust = rusted exhaust = pain in the ass to remove.

onthevirg

Oval Champion
Wonder if anyone's managed to pass smog out here without having to remove it and switch back to a stocker setup. Probably wishful thinking though.

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
I know here in Australia its illegal not to have a cat converter, but even if the laws dont state that you need one, if you guys still need to pass emission laws then chances are you will fail without a cat converter.

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
To my knowledge, at least in Pennsylvania, it is illegal to remove a functioning catalytic converter. However, that turbo back looked as if it had converters in it, so you wouldnt really be removing them, just replacing them with new ones, therefore you should be ok. Note that I'm not 100% positive on this, but you should be fine as long as you have the converters from the turboback on it.

Tay2610

Autocross Newbie
So would it be fair to say a cat-back=sound were as turbo-back=performance? I would also think that most states that require some sort of emissions testing require a cataylist. Although being pulled over and having an officer look for a cat!? rare i would say. exept maybe CA.