GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consumer Reports & VW

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I love the seats in mine. I love how everyone on there is freaking out about this. I work for Best Buy and we have the Geek Squad VW bugs....... not a problem yet and those things get USED!!! Lets see... newly redisigned model for a car. I think there are gonna be some problems...... unfortunately it is expected. I belong to the clubcivic.com website and when the new SI was coming out everyone was talking about "wait till the next year, let em get all the quirks and issues out of em first". It is the same with this GTI.

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
One thing that I see is that mentioning that the Audi's are almost trouble free and the Passats as well. Well the thing is that their usual slogan is not "Mexican Engineering" instead it says "German Engineering" no offense but from what I know VW Beetle, Jetta, and Golf from 1998 to 2003 have been a lot of trouble. The interesting thing is that not the parts because if you look closely most of their parts originate from Germany and have the audi and vw sign. The thing is they wouldn't last as long because of cheap labor in other words assembled not good.

Am a proud trouble free GTI owner for 1 1/2 years and 50K miles except a water pump which was covered by the warranty.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
and thus VW has created...."Warranty"!...

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
You definitely have me thinking I'll be doing a serious visual inspection. Boy, you want to talk about irritating a salesman and dealership. You just have to do it and keep in mind, you're paying for it, they just want you to buy it and be gone. Nothing worse to a service advisor like me having to deal with a customer who just bought a car with a list of 15 things he found wrong after a week. We all think and say, "Duh, didn't you look at it or test drive it before you bought it?". And those people ALWAYS have an attitude.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
A couple of cars back, the new car I was looking at had a small divot in the dash...almost like the assembly plant worker pressed too hard on the dash and dented the foam.

I told my salesman about it, and he looked at me like I was from the damn moon, like I said the most ridiculous thing possible because I didn't like that about the car I was about to buy.

Well, I didn't want to look stupid, so I lived with it. That little dent bothered me for 3 years until I sold the car.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Yep, has happened to me too. Don't ever make the mistake of buying something that has ANYTHING that you notice as looking wrong, odd, or damaged because if you noticed it, you'll fixate on it for as long as you own it. Whatever you do, don't beat up the service person because you were willing enough to buy it knowing it wasn't right.

destroyboredom

Autocross Newbie
It seems like something you would think they would catch but how many GTIs roll off that assembly line each day? I'm not making excuses for VW, yeah it sucks, but to think similar thing don't happen w/ other manufacturers is ridiculous.

ewoo said:
Even if it's 1 out of a thousand cases, I don't think a missing lumbar knob should have been overlooked by VW's QA process. Don't you agree? This is totally unacceptable in this day and age.

Link to the post:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2474605

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
destroyboredom said:
It seems like something you would think they would catch but how many GTIs roll off that assembly line each day? I'm not making excuses for VW, yeah it sucks, but to think similar thing don't happen w/ other manufacturers is ridiculous.

I'm not saying it doesn't, but VW, or whomever supplies the seats, should catch this. It is a simple as a person looking at it.

What I worry about is the QC it indicates on other, harder to find quality issues on the car. Things you need an instrument to determine if they're defective.

If they can't get the lumbar right with their eyes, are they going to get the computer right? How about the cylinder bore specifications? What about the airbag sensors?