GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Launching w/ DSG

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
I'm planning on getting a new GTI in a month or two, but I had a quick question for you all. I know the 2006 US Version does not have the Launch Control on the DSG box, but is the technique for launching it essentially the same. What I mean is, would you still hold the brake in with your left foot and manually bring the revs up to 3k with the gas?

I know that the launch control basically holds the revs at 3k and then takes care of the rest when you let off the brake, but could you achieve the same effect yourself without it? Just manually modulate your gas pedal to keep from too much wheelspin and not rev too high? Thanks for the help guys, was just curious how the magazine and other testers were launching the DSG to get their times.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
It works generally with the same idea you just presented to yourself...the combo of brake and gas, then the release. Theres another thread around here somewhere with more replies in it already..I think?

Nutkins

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Not so - If you don't have launch control and try and brake / gas at the same time, the car will baulk and you'll probably be along the way to messing up your DSG. You can't rev it freely unless the ESP is off and the car has Launch enabled.

Last edited:

sarpe

Ready to race!
if I am not wrong, the launch control is abilitabile modifying the centraline....
why is disable in USA?

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
FYI the official term is "Brake Boosting".

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
Ok, so what is the best way to launch with the DSG box then? I really dont plan to drag race the thing and such, just curious how you would since it doesnt have a clutch pedal like a normal manual. And how much strain/stress is it actually going to put on the DSG itself?

davesee

FIA GT Champion
dwl137 said:
Ok, so what is the best way to launch with the DSG box then? I really dont plan to drag race the thing and such, just curious how you would since it doesnt have a clutch pedal like a normal manual. And how much strain/stress is it actually going to put on the DSG itself?

im quite interested as well!!

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
For us poor US spec owners without launch control, I've heard/read the best way to launch is to put it in S-mode and stomp on the pedal. Unfortunately, there's no special technique to it.

Here's one question I have: Better to launch (without launch control) with ESP on or off? I understand ESP would apply the brakes but it does keep our tires from spinning. So which are we better off with?

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
I'd be curious to see if the Launch Control can be programmed into it by VW when the 2007's are released with it. Because I'd assume all it really is is a software program that does it, shouldnt involve anything mechanical that isn't already there.

As rediculous as it may sound, not having launch control kinda sucks in my mind, and might actually sway my decision on which transmission to get.

dmclone

Oval Champion
dwl137 said:
I'd be curious to see if the Launch Control can be programmed into it by VW when the 2007's are released with it. Because I'd assume all it really is is a software program that does it, shouldnt involve anything mechanical that isn't already there.

As rediculous as it may sound, not having launch control kinda sucks in my mind, and might actually sway my decision on which transmission to get.

I must be getting old. I would never rule a car out because of it not having launch control. How many times would you use it? I assume you would use it only when you're racing someone?

I drive fast but I usually only get on it when I’m on the go. Kind of reminds me of the guy that has a WRX Sti and is now calling it a POS because he’s having transmission/clutch problems. Let’s see. Rev it up to 5K RPM and dump the clutch of an AWD 300 hp car. Yeah something’s going to break. Of course I’m not part of the racing scene so maybe I don’t understand.

I'm not trying to be an as, I just don't understand.

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
Oh I totally understand your point, and I'd likely rarely use it. It's just one of those, "I know it's not there" type things. I currently drive a '99 Subaru Impreza car. 87k on the odo with original clutch and tranny, so i'm not anywhere near hard on it.

It's just a mental thing I'd imagine and would be of no concern i'd bet after driving a DSG one. Only have had the chance to drive the conventional manual so far unfortunatly.

It's not ruling out the car, just me being unsure which transmission to get.

bilbos

On the Kop
I would imagine that the launch control is just an additional piece of software to download to the DSG box. Can't see why the 2006 GTi wouldn't be able to accept it:iono:

marx92x

Autocross Newbie
dwl137 said:
Oh I totally understand your point, and I'd likely rarely use it. It's just one of those, "I know it's not there" type things. I currently drive a '99 Subaru Impreza car. 87k on the odo with original clutch and tranny, so i'm not anywhere near hard on it.

It's just a mental thing I'd imagine and would be of no concern i'd bet after driving a DSG one. Only have had the chance to drive the conventional manual so far unfortunatly.

It's not ruling out the car, just me being unsure which transmission to get.

Not to be rude but you should get over it. You'd be hard pressed to find a better use of $1K. Spend it on DSG. Totally worth the admission price.

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
I'm sure once I drive the DSG I'll be like launch what? why? Heh. Gotta find a dealer that is still open after work near me that has one now to find out.