GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

General exhaust question

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
ok, so if you get a performance exhaust that is pretty loud, and you get something called a silencer, is that a piece that is permently attached to the exhaust, or somethin you put on when you dont want to wake the neighbors

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
most silencers are perm. If you are going to buy an exhuast make sure you hear a sound bite first so you don't get on that you consider too loud. Silencers also kinda kill the whole "high flow" part of the exhaust.

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
If you dont want it too loud, you may want to look at a resonated exhaust which still gives you pretty high flow, while using a sound chamber to resonate at a frequency that helps to reduce the noise.

This is from the Milltek FAQ found at

http://www.millteksport.com/exhaust.faqs.cfm

Q. What is a resonator and what's the difference between a resonated and non-resonated exhaust system?

A. A resonator is a chamber in the exhaust system that contains a specific volume of air which is designed to cancel out certain frequencies of sound (made by the engine) - making the exhaust noise quieter.

Therefore, a non-resonated exhaust system will give you extra performance and a louder exhaust note and the resonated system will give you extra performance without increasing the exhaust noise much.

Hope this helps.

Newcastle

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
nice write up newcastle. I just want to add that in other words with a resonated exhaust when cruising, or at low RPM's it sounds almost stock exhaust but once you floor it the devil comes out.

h82bslo

Autocross Newbie
actually not all silencers are permanent. there are some that will allow you to hold the silencer in place with a screw at the of the muffler and the silencer.

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
depending on where you are, (I can only speak on behalf of where I live in Sydney), you might need to actually have the silencer welded on even if its just a screw-on type in the event that your car gets defected by the police and needs to be cleared.

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
I think it would be overwhelming doing all that job with the silencers. After all why would u wanna do all that job. weld it and then unweld it and so on. a resonated exhaust is the best way to go if you dont want to much noise at cruising speeds and when u floor the pedal there you have it.

omartc

Car(s)
Golf 08
hello all,
i have a Scirocco REAR EXHAUST SILENCER .i m asking if anyone know if can i set it on Golf MKV 1.4 TSI.
its not the same part number on ETKA but its look the same