GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Breakin questions

GTT

Touring Car Champion
marx92x said:
I'm aware of the two camps re: breakin technique.

But I don't recall reading that there was NO break-in period needed for the MKV GTI. Infact, I remember reading in that NY phonebook of an owners manual that there IS a break-in period.

Well, there is a "reccomendation" to not do full throttle starts and keep under max speed limit of the car. But, that's more for safety reasons as one should want to get familiar with a car first before going flat out. Also, the engine is broken in at the factory just like every other manufacturer does. The suggestions for "break-in" are more for the customer to become familiar with the vehicle and to help break in the other things on the car such as the;
transmission, brakes, tires, wheel bearings, other moving parts attached to engine like;
power steering pumps (if installed), AC compressors, alternators, etc...

So, it's really more a safe and smart thing to keep things cool until the WHOLE car has settled in. Of big consideration are the brakes and tires, which do need some run in time before being pushed.

TT

BigBadBri

Passed Driver's Ed
Last new car purchase was a Honda who said that engines are designed to be redlined from day 1. He did however say that new car brakes should be treated carefully for first 500 miles.

Conclusion. Drive as fast as you want, just don't use your brakes to slow down!

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
BigBadBri said:
Last new car purchase was a Honda who said that engines are designed to be redlined from day 1. He did however say that new car brakes should be treated carefully for first 500 miles.

Conclusion. Drive as fast as you want, just don't use your brakes to slow down!
So what do you do...look for trees? :bellyroll:

peruski

Passed Driver's Ed
read this and then re-consider what everyone's dad ever told you...

http://flyinmiata.com/tech/breakin.php

These guys know their stuff and I trust their judgement...don't forget you are dealing with a turbo motor here so mind the boost intially

Don't baby it...but don't drive it like you stole it either....

But if you have racked up a few hundred miles already it is probably a moot point anyway.

I would suspect if the entire 'break in' procedure were that critical that VW would do it themselves...rather than have a bunch of engine failures to deal with.

peruski

Passed Driver's Ed
BigBadBri said:
No just use engine speed to slow down to normal speeds then use brakes as normal. But i see what you were getting at.

Use engine speed to slow down?
Are you talking about using the gearbox through a series of downshifts to slow down?

That is a terrible idea.

Especially since brake pads are $80
and a clutch is over $300 plus labor....

Never slow down through the gearbox.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
jeromy said:
So, this will be my first NEW car purchase in a while and wanted to get a little up to date on breakins for the car. Does VW have any official breakin rules or does the standard old 1000mis rule apply to these new engines too ?

And more important to me is.. is there any rev limit I should place on myself during the 1000miles with the GTI engine?

Thanks

It is defined in the owner's manual. Good reading. You need to read it cover to cover before operating the car for too long.

BigBadBri

Passed Driver's Ed
Picked up my new GTI yesterday. Asked about the run in period and what the VW recomendation was. I was told to try and take it easy on both acceleration and deceleration, and to try and keep below 5000 rpm and 80 mph for the first 1000-1500 miles.

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
Everyone says something different.

VW says to keep the revs lower for 600 miles then gradually in crease revs from 600-1000 and never maintain the same rev for a long period.

Pretty standard really.

Others say drive it like you stole it.

I have driven it rather erasy with a couple time of pressing the engine.

Basically in older cars it was the difference of last 60,000 miles or 100,000 miles+
In modern cars its more like the difference between 100,000 and 200,000 miles.

Who really knows. Safest thing is to follow the manual. Like I said I havent been too hard but have run it hard here and there. I dont think its the most important thing anymore.....

davooch

Passed Driver's Ed
engine breaking

peruski said:
Use engine speed to slow down?
Are you talking about using the gearbox through a series of downshifts to slow down?

That is a terrible idea.

Especially since brake pads are $80
and a clutch is over $300 plus labor....

Never slow down through the gearbox.

I've been driving manuals for the past 15 years and have been using engine braking on all of my cars and have never had to replace a clutch. I've also never kept any of them over 5 years though either. But either way I've never had a clutch or transmission problem.

Also, if I recall correctly, the manual doesn't say anything about varying engine speeds. It just says stay under 3/4s of the max speed, don't use full throttle, and don't use high engine speeds.