GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody else have this experience?

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
Ever since I have had my GTI EVERYBODY wants to race me. I mean, sport compacts obviously, but also, minivans, pickups, sedans, everbody. I think my fast's aura is affecting them. :thumbsup:

The other day I was cutting through traffic when I noticed a Focus in my rearview; he was following me the whole way. He pulled up next to me and said "Those aren't as fast as I thought. I stayed with you the whole way." I said, "Buddy, I didn't downshift from 6th since I saw you were behind me." His face kind of fell.. heheheheh. I kind of felt bad for him... then I left him in my dust when the light changed..:biggrin:

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
Yup getting it big time, cars, taxis, Buses!!!...jaysus even cyclists will be at it next. FAST = Boy Racer within is what most think??? :wink:

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
yeah i get it all the time too, some kid in a civic tryed to race me, but he could not keep up. :burnrubber:

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
yeah, I get the same attention all the time:cool:

I eat maximas all of the time (ours is a 3.0, not 3.5 as in the US)

The funny thing is that I got more people wanting to race me in my Accord than my GTI. Granted the Accord was full on tricked out and known in my town. :bow: lol, well not like that though. But I think the main reason is because there are commercials about this car being "fast" and people want to disprove it by saying they beat the car that has "the fast." Well it's stupid. I bought the car before even knowing about the commercials, and the fast. It was interesting that the next day I came in the dealership started putting up the murals about the GTI. I so want those when they come down. They're only like 50 feet tall.

gti mkv

Ready to race!
TeknoGroover said:
But I think the main reason is because there are commercials about this car being "fast" and people want to disprove it by saying they beat the car that has "the fast."
my fast is faster then your fast, and my fast can beat up your fast:thumbsup:

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
Happened again today. Some guy with his girlfriend was doing about 80 mph in a convertible mustage gt. I came up on them doing about 85 and he wasnt getting over so I started to pass him on the right. He guns it and feeling a bit silly with the beautiful weather today, I downshift to 4th and kept right next to him until 110 when I let off. Funny that a 4 cylinder can pace an 8 cylinder. Oh, and his was letting off a pretty substantial bit of smoke at each shift.

Now I realize my driving in this instance was why I elicited this reaction from him, but at the time he gunned it I had my cruise control set at 85.

I know the GTI couldn't have taken him from the line, but from 85 to 110 at least...

Now to get the APR remap, an intake of some sort and an exhaust... oh and the H&R lowering. This car really does ride too high...

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
As tempting as chips and things sound. Aren't you guys terrified of turning the motor into a rather elegantly styled fireworks display? Why would VW have tuned the motor the way they did if that much more powere were easy for the motor to pull off.

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
herrstreet said:
As tempting as chips and things sound. Aren't you guys terrified of turning the motor into a rather elegantly styled fireworks display? Why would VW have tuned the motor the way they did if that much more powere were easy for the motor to pull off.

I would say VW didn't tune the motor that way for the following reasons.

Exhaust noise would be louder.
Insurance premiums would be more expensive.
Gas mileage would be decreased.
Engine longevity would be decreased.

That being said, VW was kicking around the idea of selling a stripped down version of the Golf with the 2.0 FSI with 230 hp. I did not hear the torque they were expecting, but you are only talking about 30 more HP above the 230 they were talking about.

There are several people on here that have had older generations of the GTI with the APR tuning remap for many many miles with no issues.

All in all it is a conservative remap for this engine.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
Newcastle said:
That being said, VW was kicking around the idea of selling a stripped down version of the Golf with the 2.0 FSI with 230 hp. I did not hear the torque they were expecting, but you are only talking about 30 more HP above the 230 they were talking about.

only 30?? I think 30 is alot... But are you sure that when VW quoted 230 hp, they only did an ECU remap?

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
GTI 2.0T said:
only 30?? I think 30 is alot...

I personally don't.

GTI 2.0T said:
But are you sure that when VW quoted 230 hp, they only did an ECU remap?

I dont think anyone is sure of that except VW at this point but consider many other auto manufacturer's different outputs from the same engine. There is no differene internally, just electronically.

Last edited:

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I get "challenged" all the time... and the GTI is a surprisingly quick car.
I was on a dual carriageway near where I live with my brother sitting next to me... there's a Ferrari dealer nearby and they always take the cars out onto the dual carriageway to "test" them. I was cruising on the carriageway at about 70, and this Ferrari from the dealership suddenly roars to life and passes me. I drop down a couple of gears and follow... now, I knew that there was ZERO chance of me beating the thing, but I did my damndest to keep up, and he hardly gained on me from the 70-110 sector when he started to brake. At the end of the carriageway is a roundabout, and I came up next to him, and he gave me a very VERY dirty look... wasn't best pleased that the £20k GTI was able to tail his £200k Ferrari...
Obviously if the stretch was a bit longer he'd have lost me, but frankly I was impressed that the GTI was able to keep up in that manner :smoking: My bro was astonished too...

And a quick extra: 30BHP is a lot, trust me on this... and that can be accomplished solely by an ECU remap.

Newcastle said:
Happened again today. Some guy with his girlfriend was doing about 80 mph in a convertible mustage gt. I came up on them doing about 85 and he wasnt getting over so I started to pass him on the right. He guns it and feeling a bit silly with the beautiful weather today, I downshift to 4th and kept right next to him until 110 when I let off. Funny that a 4 cylinder can pace an 8 cylinder. Oh, and his was letting off a pretty substantial bit of smoke at each shift.

Now I realize my driving in this instance was why I elicited this reaction from him, but at the time he gunned it I had my cruise control set at 85.

I know the GTI couldn't have taken him from the line, but from 85 to 110 at least...

Now to get the APR remap, an intake of some sort and an exhaust... oh and the H&R lowering. This car really does ride too high...
Seriously, once I read this one I can tell you it seems like you are leading them on. Possibly driving fast? Then, when they pass by you, you try and show them up by going faster. Just ignore the people. You're not gonna lose your dignity, unless you have an extremely small ego. I was driving on the freeway for a while and no one even attempted anything. I think it's in your head.

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
You misread that Teknogroover, or I misspoke it. He was in the fast lane doing 80. I had the cruise set at 85 and came up on him. He did not want to be passed. I normally drive on the interstate with the cruise control, so I doubt you are right about that, but in this one case, I gave in and raced him. It was afterall a lovely day and I had just passed 1000 miles on a brand new car that I have been babying.

Thanks for the thought that it is in my head, though, when a minivan is stopped at a redlight and revving his engine looking at me, I doubt it is my imagination, and it happens almost daily. Perhaps its the people in my small town vs. your socal area?

Thanks for the thought that I may be imagining it. :biggrin: