GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Well...it was either the GTI or the Si, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
I can see what MKFizzle is trying (rather poorly) to say. Even though it is a very nice car, it's still a Honda Civic. Having been in both, it is very easy to feel the difference in the GTI. It feels more sophisticated. That's not a slam on the Civic - it's a nice car. It just doesn't have that intangible "something" that, to me, the VW has. Personally, inexpensive Japanese cars leave me feeling cold. BUT, that doesn't mean the SI isn't a great car, it just doesn't do it for me. All the reviews I have read put both cars neck and neck, so it comes down to preference. You love your SI and that's all that should matter.

GTI2007

in my country, Belgium, the Civic isn't that powerful as in America. We don't have a Civic Si here available and only get 3 engines for the Civic, which is here a hatchback and to my opinion super ugly. We can choose out of a 1.4 liter, a 1.8 liter and a 2.2 liter diesel so here the Civic ain't a match for the GTI. So that would make this discussion here in my country very simple

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Buying a Honda, regardless of the model is probably the safest automotive purchase in terms of reliablity, cost to maintain and such. If you don't know that i'm sorry to say your smack dab in the middle of "ignorance territory." VW is on the other side of the spectrum, but the risk - reward was worth it to me personally. If I had to drive 50 miles to work everyday, pick up the kids etc... I probablly would have bought a different car. The fact that your still posting on this site, makes me think your not even sure you bought the right car.

Slowride said:
Why is buying a Honda a "safe" choice? What about a VW GTI is not a "safe" choice as well?

You're heading into ignorance territory soon with that one.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Slowride said:
I guess. If that's the case, the yes, I went the safe route. Also, judging by the performance numbers, I went that route too.

Even if the performance on the SI is better (which I doubt) it's still one hell of an ugly car, not as enjoyable to drive and probablly won't get half the looks my GTI will.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Teknophreak said:
I can see what MKFizzle is trying (rather poorly) to say. Even though it is a very nice car, it's still a Honda Civic. Having been in both, it is very easy to feel the difference in the GTI. It feels more sophisticated. That's not a slam on the Civic - it's a nice car. It just doesn't have that intangible "something" that, to me, the VW has. Personally, inexpensive Japanese cars leave me feeling cold. BUT, that doesn't mean the SI isn't a great car, it just doesn't do it for me. All the reviews I have read put both cars neck and neck, so it comes down to preference. You love your SI and that's all that should matter.

Thank You.... finally someone understands me. You can't really put a word on that "something intangible" that european cars possess. That's probablly why no one's been able to duplicate it. Nissan has come close with the Z, and Subaru with the WRX. Closest Honda came was the S2000.

GTI2007

HotLanta MKfizzle said:
Even if the performance on the SI is better (which I doubt) it's still one hell of an ugly car, not as enjoyable to drive and probablly won't get half the looks my GTI will.

according to the specifications on their sites the GTI is more powerful than the Si.

GTI:

Displacement: 1984 cc
Horsepower: 200 HP @ 5100-6000 rpm
Torque: 207 lbs-ft @1800-5000 rpm

Si:

Displacement: 1998 cc
Horsepower: 197 HP @ 7800 rpm
Torque: 139 lbs-ft @ 6100 rpm

swami

Go Kart Newbie
Man...You guys need to lighten up a little. I'm a car fan regardless of the brand, unless it's a domestic, in which I'd buy a Mustang GT, being a Ford guy. I own an Acura TSX which I feel is a pretty nice car. I'm looking to buy a house this year so I'm paying off credit cards and looking for a slightly cheaper car. I was all set on an Si, till I saw the GTI at the NAIAS. It was love at first sight, and I plan on ordering one. The Acura website I frequent has owners of every brand imaginable, and rarely do I see such bashing about a car decision. When I get my GTI, I plan to remain an active member there, and here. I highly doubt I'll get any grief over there for buying a GTI. You guys are taking this too seriously.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
that's the thing, I was never bashing anybody's choice or any car, until Slowride started up with me.... If you go back and read my first post in this thread, I simply state that to ME european cars have an appeal that Japanese cars don't... that's just to ME....

swami said:
Man...You guys need to lighten up a little. I'm a car fan regardless of the brand, unless it's a domestic, in which I'd buy a Mustang GT, being a Ford guy. I own an Acura TSX which I feel is a pretty nice car. I'm looking to buy a house this year so I'm paying off credit cards and looking for a slightly cheaper car. I was all set on an Si, till I saw the GTI at the NAIAS. It was love at first sight, and I plan on ordering one. The Acura website I frequent has owners of every brand imaginable, and rarely do I see such bashing about a car decision. When I get my GTI, I plan to remain an active member there, and here. I highly doubt I'll get any grief over there for buying a GTI. You guys are taking this too seriously.

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
For those of you thant don't know about german and european engineering you might want to consider reading this. European cars are leaders and not followers. Look at the Benz all of the technologies such as ASR, ABS, airbags, and so on come from it. BMW power and agressivness and best sport compact, Audi the first all wheel drive car, and VW gti the first and best small compact car and the best Hatchback, Volvo does not fear death, Porcshe everything that other non european cars dont have and I dont even want to talk about the Lambo and Ferrari and so on. So how in the hell Japanese cars come out to be better. Lexus copies the Benz, Infiniti the BMW, Acura/Honda everyone else, so come on. Prove me wrong.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
good points, I am totally amazed that people here don't understand how different a Civic SI and a Vdub R...I don't care if there matched up in Road & Track or whatever, there totally different types of cars.
Totally Agree 100%. Just one thing to mention. Japanese car makers are masters at copying and in some cases improving the technologies you have mentioned. By improving I mean making them cheaper and more reliable. But one thing that has never been able to be copied is the European/German/Italian etc... feel of a car, no matter how hard the Japanese automakers try.

vdubGTi said:
For those of you thant don't know about german and european engineering you might want to consider reading this. European cars are leaders and not followers. Look at the Benz all of the technologies such as ASR, ABS, airbags, and so on come from it. BMW power and agressivness and best sport compact, Audi the first all wheel drive car, and VW gti the first and best small compact car and the best Hatchback, Volvo does not fear death, Porcshe everything that other non european cars dont have and I dont even want to talk about the Lambo and Ferrari and so on. So how in the hell Japanese cars come out to be better. Lexus copies the Benz, Infiniti the BMW, Acura/Honda everyone else, so come on. Prove me wrong.

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
Totally Agree 100%. Just one thing to mention. Japanese car makers are masters at copying and in some cases improving the technologies you have mentioned. By improving I mean making them cheaper and more reliable. But one thing that has never been able to be copied is the European feel of a car. No matter how hard the Japanese try (Lexus IS300, Nizzan 350z) etc...

HotLanta Thank You for the addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.