GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Moonroof wind buffeting / wind noise

givenuponsociety

Autocross Newbie
A week or so after I got the car I opened up the moonroof. When in the fully open position if you hit about 50-60 mph you get an extremely loud thumping noise. I put my hand on the roof behind the sunroof while driving and it was shaking so hard it felt like it was going to cave in. Turned the knowb on the moonroof two clicks closer to closed the noise almost went away all together. Opened it back up all the way and the noise was there again. When I pushed down on the little piece of plastic that pops up in the front of the opening when you open the moonroof, the sound again goes away. So, I took it to the VW dealership and told them about this, one of the technicians drove it, and then drove 2 more brand new (off the lot) GTIs and they have the same problem. I was told this was normal and simply an aerodynamic problem that all GTI's have.....anyone else have this problem?

pinkfl2511

DUB Lover since '01
Car(s)
1999 BMW 328i
Sunroof

There should be a spot or a line on the dial that is the optimum posiotion. I used to sell VW's and there was a spot on the dial so that wind noise / buffeting is minimized.

:iono:

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
yea i have same problem with mine but it only does it when i have the windows closed... doesnt really bother me

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
givenuponsociety said:
I was told this was normal and simply an aerodynamic problem that all GTI's have.....anyone else have this problem?

This must be your first retracting sunroof. Virtually all retracting sunroofs do the same thing. Not a VW thing. My 911 does it, my Audis did it and all my VW with SR did it. Think of it like a flute or a jug band. Air over the top of a closed chamber makes a noise.

givenuponsociety

Autocross Newbie
actually my third moonroof, but it is much noisier than the traditional buffeting, even the tech noted it was a mistake made with the design of the moonroof with the aerodynamics, much louder than other moonroofs.

givenuponsociety

Autocross Newbie
Yea and its MkV not MKV, lets not be so picky.....If the thread was entitled Sunroof or moonroof, Im right there with ya. Lighten up.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
this is a little off topic sorta....but

while test driving a GTI the other day i had the windows down and sunroof closed...but while driving i heard this whisteling/buffeting noise coming from the drivers side...maybe near the side mirror

do any of u know what im talking about?....is it normal?

it would suck to know what its normal...cuz i only drive with my windows down unless it raining

givenuponsociety

Autocross Newbie
I dhave driven with the window(s) down.....haven't noticed any whistling.....should have asked the dealer if he heard it.....could be anything.

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
Freek said:
this is a little off topic sorta....but

while test driving a GTI the other day i had the windows down and sunroof closed...but while driving i heard this whisteling/buffeting noise coming from the drivers side...maybe near the side mirror

do any of u know what im talking about?....is it normal?

it would suck to know what its normal...cuz i only drive with my windows down unless it raining

This is known issue (known by vwvortex peeps--not VW). I experienced this with 1 out of 3 GTI's I test drove. I think it has to do with the door seal (rubber piece). Not sure. Sounded like a slight whistle as if air was being sucked out of the cabin on the driver's side. Not obvious but nevertheless annoying if you started to focus on it.

You should definitely take it to the dealer and make sure they log the notes on the service record---even if they don't have a fix for it. Hopefully VW will address it with some hotfixes.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
I found this:

Sunroofs are opaque, sometimes metal or fiberglass panels that slide rearward and open completely whereas moonroofs are tinted glass panels that flip up slightly to allow air to flow. And some (but not all) moonroofs allow you to remove the glass panel and stow it elsewhere to open completely like a sunroof.

That said, VW calls it a power glass sunroof, which is what it is if that is what it is called.

Basically, the definition has become blurred all to hell and it appears that the original idea was that sunroof's are usually the same finish as the rest of the vehicle so they do not stand out. You don't see through a sunroof when it is closed because they are solid.

Moonroofs are transparent glass or plastic and either one can be power or manually operated.

So...:iono: