GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post your Watch and GTI Pics!

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Longer power reserve has also crept up recently, I’d really like a 70h reserve over the old standard of 40h. The ceramic Black Bay is tempting with its Master Chronometer rating, but I’m probably just fine without it.

Type_RS_59

Ready to race!
I definitely hear you about wanting to keep as many original parts as possible. May end of costing more in labor if it’s out of warranty though.

I keep talking myself out of a GMT because I don’t really have a need for one. Sure we travel, but I’m not sure I’d really use it.

Maybe if I come across something I like with the new Seiko NH34 GMT movement during a AliExpress sale or something. LOL

I keep forgetting to post a picture of my vintage Seiko bullhead because I only have pictures of it with whiskey, not the GTI.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Love traveling with this piece.

IMG_4356.jpeg

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I definitely hear you about wanting to keep as many original parts as possible. May end of costing more in labor if it’s out of warranty though.

I keep talking myself out of a GMT because I don’t really have a need for one. Sure we travel, but I’m not sure I’d really use it.

I'm not sure anyone *needs* a GMT, but before having kids my wife and I traveled for fun quite a bit, so it's a complication that's symbolic of that passion whether I use it regularly or not. And I never really tracked other time zones much, but I'll say again, having a jump hour you can quickly adjust to the local time without stopping the watch is amazing. Even making the daylight savings time adjustment is "fun".

The Seiko NH34 / Seiko 5 Sports GMT is a sweet watch, but does not have the quick-set hour hand (I don't think). I had one of the "caller" GMT's before my Tudor, and it was more of a hassle to set the time and adjust. But it can still do all the same time-zone tracking functions of course.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
I'm not sure anyone *needs* a GMT, but before having kids my wife and I traveled for fun quite a bit, so it's a complication that's symbolic of that passion whether I use it regularly or not. And I never really tracked other time zones much, but I'll say again, having a jump hour you can quickly adjust to the local time without stopping the watch is amazing. Even making the daylight savings time adjustment is "fun".

The Seiko NH34 / Seiko 5 Sports GMT is a sweet watch, but does not have the quick-set hour hand (I don't think). I had one of the "caller" GMT's before my Tudor, and it was more of a hassle to set the time and adjust. But it can still do all the same time-zone tracking functions of course.
The hour hand jumps, the GMT hand swings around on the Seiko. So def a caller and not a pilot. For me though it’s perfect because the GMT hand I keep constantly in one time zone and when I travel around I jump the hour hand for the time zone I am in. The rotating bezel I keep for home time when I am traveling.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I haven't heard much about the date wheel issue recently. But I think about it every time I go to put the watch on lol.
As far as sending it in for getting it serviced, I believe you can request what you would NOT like to have done, that would otherwise usually be part of the service.
I know that is at least the way it goes for Omega. But I think you always run the risk of that note being looked over.
Anytime someone comes on the Omega forum and has a vintage piece that needs service, most everyone will tell them to NOT send it in directly to Omega.
Rather, find a local watchmaker.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
This is what I've been wearing for the past year and a half. I think I've only worn my analog watches maybe a handful of times.

Apple watch 7.

aw7.jpeg

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I still wear my Apple Watch around the house.
When I get home for work, or on the weekends I usually have it on.
Was thinking about picking up the Ultra this past year when it came out, but just never cared enough to do so.
With the new ones coming out later this month (presumably) maybe some of the first gens will be sold at a discount...

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals

I wore mine for four years. I waited for the Ultra, was hoping it looked better, it didn’t so I’m wearing an Oura ring and real watches again. Apple really needs to fix the awful design if they want me back.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
It's been the same design since day one!
But, what can you really change??? Make it round is about it I guess...
I have a series 3 that I bought new I think when the series 5 had just come out. It was their "budget" one at the time.
Still notifies me when I have something on my phone I need to take care of, so I guess it does its job.
Which is why I have a hard time spending $800 or whatever on it., Rather put that money elsewhere.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It's been the same design since day one!
But, what can you really change??? Make it round is about it I guess...
I have a series 3 that I bought new I think when the series 5 had just come out. It was their "budget" one at the time.
Still notifies me when I have something on my phone I need to take care of, so I guess it does its job.
Which is why I have a hard time spending $800 or whatever on it., Rather put that money elsewhere.
I just dislike the blob of a case. If it had a case like form with actual lugs, I think I could live with it. The notifications are nice, and the taps for navigation were useful, but I can’t say I miss it overall.

I do have smart door locks and I continue to try to tap my dumb watch to get into my house. Still doesn’t work.

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Did anyone click on this link? Is it a rickroll?!

And thank you mr smith! My real name is not mr thomas anderson. So please don’t send your agents.

Last edited:

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I love my series 5 Samsung watch. Got it for a song when I got my 23 ultra, so figured I'd try it. Had an old s2 back in the day and liked it. I ditched the rubber band and put a metal bracelet on it. It works, but for Christmas I will be upgrading to the Leatherman bracelet for it.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
The hour hand jumps, the GMT hand swings around on the Seiko. So def a caller and not a pilot. For me though it’s perfect because the GMT hand I keep constantly in one time zone and when I travel around I jump the hour hand for the time zone I am in. The rotating bezel I keep for home time when I am traveling.

What you described is the same as the Tudor, and same as the newer Rolex GMT's, which are called "Flyer". Meaning the hour hand is quick-set / jumping. It's called Flyer because like you said, it's convenient for traveling to be able to quickly set the local time by jumping the hour hand and not stopping the movement.

"Caller" is what most budget GMT's use, where usually the GMT hand is set by jumping it an hour at a time, after the local time and date have been set by stopping movement. It's called Caller because it's geared towards keeping the local time the same, and only adjusting the GMT hand or bezel to track someone else's timezone (you might want to call).

It's pretty sweet that the Seiko has the Flyer style, typically that's found on much more expensive watches often with in-house movements.

I use mine in the exact same way as you (jump local hour when traveling, leave the GMT hand set to actual GMT/UTC, and rotate the bezel if I want to track my home time or someone else's time. I find rotating the bezel so much faster than trying to adjust the GMT hand.