GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY-Front License Plate Holder On a GTI

JonGrace959

My Fast is Alive
Car(s)
2007 Speed 3
:thumbsup: this helps out alot.. ive already been pulled over once for not having a front licence plate.. i dont want to drill into it... this really helps me out thanks

.:B

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
07 GTI
Ok help, I removed all the screws and all that's left are the two tabs. Those damn things dont seem to budge no matter how hard i push down..

phokim

Passed Driver's Ed
Once the plastic tab is unsnapped, start pulling starting from the side. It will seem like it is not going to budge, but just apply a little force and be patient.

Do you have more detail on this step?

Would polyurethane washers be better than rubber? Not that that I know where to find them. I will have to deal with the plates soon.

.:B

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
07 GTI
I just got pulled over a week ago for not having front plates, so i will need to put them on ASAP. Pls help thnx

sonomamkvdsg

7 time F1 Champ
Car(s)
2006 MKV DSG TR
licence plate, I don't need no stinking (front) licence plate

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
Since my version of the offset license plate mounting was so unpopular with the kiddies, I redid it with a "bling" (just a little).

The fender washers are probably the same, but I used some real CF tubing I had an used a hand saw to cut down to size. Also, I used an hollow-wall anchor, as I did in my offset mount.

I did not use the factory provided plate frame, but one from a BMW E46 M3 trunk frame (I had it laying around).

Still takes 2 minutes to install/remove with a screwdriver. No need to remove anything to install it.

Attachments

• 357037241403_0_BG[1].jpg
    357037241403_0_BG[1].jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 4,841
  • 483727241403_0_BG[1].jpg
    483727241403_0_BG[1].jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 4,790
  • 97121ac1l.gif
    97121ac1l.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 4,765

phokim

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you have more detail on this step?

Would polyurethane washers be better than rubber? Not that that I know where to find them. I will have to deal with the plates soon.

I used the stock license plate holder to make the washers but I simply cannot get behind the lower honeycomb grill to install this thing - any more pointers? I do not have the same tab as shown in the pictures.

TGZ

Moar!
Unpimp,

Can you please post a list of all the hardware you used for that setup. Sizes of bolts, washers, nuts, etc. I live in NYC but bought my GTI in Delaware where they don't require front plates.

The meter maids are terrible here and will give me ticket after ticket for no front plate so I need to get this done asap.

Thanks man. :bow:

nukta90

Ready to race!
Yeah when i went to pick up my gti about a month ago, the dealer was like, here's your front license plate holder..and i was like uhh? what would i want that for? And he's like well we're not allowed to drill them in now because customers are complaining and want brand new front bumpers haha. I just laughed really hard when i told him that. Apparently a lot of ppl were getting mad about that, and they had to send all the cars back for new bumpers and what not

vxla

Ok, I have a 2009 Jetta, but I had the same problem and came up with the following solution (originally posted here):

--

I spent some time looking for the best way to mount a front license plate to my 2009 Jetta. Since my dealer did not drill holes for the front plate holder, I wanted to find a way to mount the front plate easily without needing to drill holes. There wasn't much on the Internet, and paying $60 for a plate holder seemed pointless. Here's the solution that I came up with:

(Disclaimer: any damage caused to any part of your vehicle, or yourself, or anyone around you, is your own fault.)

Requirements

(2) 3/16" U-bolts. These can be found at any local hardware store.
(1) Front license plate holder. There's several models, choose one you like.
(4) locking washers
(1) tube of Blue Loctite
Tools necessary to tighten down any bolts, etc.

Procedure

1. Take the U-bolt and wrap it around the back of one of the lower grill panels. The following photograph shows how the bolt wraps around the back of one of the lower grill panels.

2. Attach the bracket that comes with the U-bolt to the bolt, and then place the plate holder onto the bolt. Putting the bracket in back of the plate holder gives it more strength when you tighten the nuts up.

3. Slide the locking washer down and then place the nut on the upper threads. Repeat with the lower washer/nut. Do not tighten yet.

4. Add the second U-bolt following the same procedure as in Steps #1-#3.

5. Next, add Loctite to each set of threads.

6. Carefully tighten down each nut evenly while making sure to center the plate holder properly. Do not overtighten, the plate holder will probably break if you do.

7. Once everything is tight, I added a bit more Loctite, and then a single zip tie, just in case both U-bolts break. So far, things should look like this:

Add your license plate. When finished, the final product should look like this:

Hope this helps!

In the end, this cost me about $10.

You can see the full size photographs here.

P-S-Y-K-E

Newb
Car(s)
06 VW GTI MKV DSG
Texas_MkV, when you say "bottom piece" are you referring to the front lip? Is it not possible to just remove the lower honeycomb grill without taking anything else off and then putting the hardware directly to the grill piece before putting it back on? Forgive me, I have installed my votex lip and i remember it being kind of a bitch, but I've never removed the lower grill to know how it comes out...