GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Would you trade for a e46 M3??

Hramsey

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

An offer for me came along that left me with a tough decision.. An e46 M3 with 80k miles is being sold for only 11k. Many of you will automatically assume somethings wrong with it but let me assure you its been checked out thoroughly and is in very good condition. The only downside is its an SMG... Would you sell your GTI for a chance with this car?

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys,

An offer for me came along that left me with a tough decision.. An e46 M3 with 80k miles is being sold for only 11k. Many of you will automatically assume somethings wrong with it but let me assure you its been checked out thoroughly and is in very good condition. The only downside is its an SMG... Would you sell your GTI for a chance with this car?

Two things - If it was stellar in report of condition / inspection by an expert of the marque and you have the funds to maintain it that way. Additionally would it be a daily driver?

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
It's still a $50,000 car with very advanced technology for its time with relative costs. Anything breaking costs $1,500. If money is no factor whatsoever then yes. And if you can sell your GTI for enough, a Mk5 GTI can be had cheaply to fill the void as a DD. I considered an E46, but the maintenance costs were prohibitive for my daily driver.

They talked about that on after/drive (this are two related links) :

Last edited by a moderator:

sethdude

Pobody's Nerfect.
If it were a manual, Id consider it, but I'd definitely pass on the SMG. They were very problematic, even when new, and nothing is cheap to fix on a BMW.

mcfaddenmkvi

Ready to race!
BMWs used can be the worst decision. Talk to any good transmission shop and they will tell you that buying used with that many miles is asking for a problem. The SMG is rediculious to fix. Unless money isn't a factor.

jtbazz

Passed Driver's Ed
Dont do it

The up keep is crazy expensive. I just traded an e90 in on my GTI and in my opinion the e90 is very reliable but its the little things. Battery $450 because after install it needs registered in cars computer, brakes front and rear with rotors $1800, oil change $180 (because they charge $60 to turn off the notification), run flat tires on e90 $1200.

Its worth noting I have no mechanical ability so dealer did all my work. If you know how to do this stuff and have machinery to reset the on board computers it may cost you less.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Just went from a 2006 330i (e90) to my 2012 Golf R back in the fall. The BMW was maintained in every way possible and preventative things done etc. I sold it with 99,000 miles and will never own one again. It was amazing to drive, handled incredibly well, the 6MT was very nice, i had it on coils and style 95 (off the 7 series) it looked beautiful.

I dumped thousands in that thing to keep it running. It was beyond a money pit. I like everything about the R better than that car. Just my opinion.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
SMG is one of the worst automated transmissions out there, plagued with problems and costly repair bills..

At best a jerky transmission that feels like crap and is difficult to upgrade.

I love the e46, but the SMG will definitely turn me off. BMW maintanence is expensive, the "M" series for BMW is insanely expensive. I would have atleast 5k in the bank for that rainy day if you do decide to purchase it.

Jack14

Ready to race!
Just sold my stage 2 GTI and bought an e46 M3. Im very happy with my decision but I do have a 6MT. SMGs can be a real pain. Theres a full swap going around for about 3k. Car feels faster than my stage 2 while stock although it may actually be a bit slower, i doubt it though. Once tuned that won't be an issue. At the end of the day if you want to pay to keep the bimmer on the road its just a better sports car. Wont be as reliable or as practical but it'll definitely put a smile on your face!