GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fiesta ST vs. MK7 GTI. My test drive review and opinion request!

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, So I need a little help. As some of you may know my 2007 GTI threw a rod randomly while cruising on the highway. It is more economical to part it out and sell it as is then to rebuild it. Thus begins my journey to find another automobile to daily drive. I test drove a 2016 MK7 GTI, and a 2015 Fiesta ST... Here are my thoughts:

1. Fiesta ST: The was the first one I drove. My buddy had to drop his Focus ST off for a recall so we just test drove one while we were there. (He also works at Ford so I get the friends and family discount). It is rainy cats and dogs today but we were given the keys with very few questions asked. The salesman did not go with us. When I got it is was clear the car is small, but not surprisingly so. I don't have a family and it's really only the weekends carting friends around that I even need 4 seats. Backseat room was actually quite good. There's not too many winding roads by the dealership so we found an industrial park where I could throw her around a bit. Being the Friday after Thanksgiving the park was completely empty. I pretty much ripped on it for a while. The power was good, honestly very good. There's cars that are faster than they feel, and there's cars that feel faster than they are and this one was definitely the latter. It feels quick and I think the poor 0-60 time is because of it's way too short gearing (3 shifts needed to hit 60). I turned the traction control off and it was a joke. It is very cold and rainy here and the traction was laughable. Less traction than my K04 GTI had. I believe this was down to the 205 all-season tires and I will take another test drive with the summer tires to confirm. It spins 1-3 with no issues. I continued to throw it around and boy does it handle. It's playful and wants to be tossed around. It oversteers too... a lot. It will do lift off oversteer on command and it was an absolute blast. The tires really did feel like I was on ice though but that just made it even more fun. Hitting the limits of a car is much more fun then being well within the limits. The Ford sync 3 is actually quite a good interface, and everything that you touch feels great including the shifter and clutch. The downsides were the economy interior. It's a fiesta, and you can certainly feel where they saved the money. All in all, it's a cheap car that is a blast to drive and puts fun in front of everything else. Price was $21,000 before haggling, and $23,000 for a loaded blue one.

2. MK7 GTI: We went to the VW dealership and unfortunately they didn't have one in the spec I wanted (Base S 6MT, or Base S w/ PP 6MT). Fortunately they actually got one delivered during my test drive. I ended up taking a loaded SE w/ 6MT out on the test drive. The salesmen went with us which was a big negative for me, but I understand it was a more expensive car etc. Anyways it was still raining balls outside but we drove the exact same route in order to keep things consistent. The difference was immediately noticeable. The GTI is a better car in literally every quantifiable way. It feels like a more expensive car and the ride was better than the ST. The touch points were high quality and the interior is not only bigger, but an overall better place to be. The clutch feels good and the shifter feels decent, nothing to write home about but a Dieselgeek will fix that. When I hit it, it became clear that the GTI is more powerful. It's much faster than the Fiesta and the new Gen 3 is a great motor. Power everywhere with very little lag across the rev range. I didn't get to hoon it as much but basically it felt like the same dynamics as my MK5 but just improved. Honestly I think the only downside was it wasn't as playful as the Fiesta. It is also more expensive but not by too much. The bigger reason why I am hesitate is what I'll explain below. The price was $26,000 for the base S BUT with the awesome $1,500 discount and the $500 SCCA discount it comes out to $24,000 before haggling.

Conclusion? I'm torn. I literally have no idea what to do, but I think the first step is to test drive them when it's dry out and without the salesman in the GTI. A couple little side-notes is that I also have a track only Miata for that and having an American made car is going to be a big plus for me. I work at FCA and I regularly travel and work at the plants. The union workers there are VERY old-school and non-american cars get vandalized all the time. So an American car is a big plus. Anyways guys, I know its gonna be fairly biased on a GTI forum but tell me what you think and what would you do? Cheers.

**Edit** The cars will be modded if that matters. Honestly and I'm not kidding, they will most likely be tuned on the way home from the dealership.

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
If you like nice things, get the GTI. If you prefer pure fun over all else (cause that's about the only parameter the Fiesta even remotely holds a candle to the GTI on), get the ST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
the fiesta st being in smaller turbo, you will spend more money, not to mention, their stage 3 kit will only get you in neighborhood of 240-260 hp, mk7 obviously, just a $600-700 stage 1 tune will exceed the fiesta st.

Tbh I rather get a focus st than the fiesta, unless I look for daily driver/autocrosser. Fist looks like a riced fiesta anyway imo, and GTI looks like your average golf to most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wave

Ready to race!
I found this pretty accurate. I test drove the Fiesta ST and the Focus ST, and found them both to be set up more loose, and for less understeer than the GTI, but I found the interiors of both to be laughably cheap. The GTI is most certainly in another class as far as Fit and Finish. I've also read great things about added a rear sway bar to the GTI to get it set up for this same type of tail-happy handling that the STs are noted for. I also looked at some other cars in the class, namely the WRX and the BRZ. I found the former to be too rough and heavy, and the latter to be too high-strung and torqueless.

I haven't regretted buying the GTI for one second. Go with your gut.

fatloserboi

Ready to race!
I've driven the fiesta, the focus and the gti.. Of the three I'd go with the Focus.. I found it incredibly fun but lacked refinement.. I wasn't so hot on the fiesta tho for some reason.. But if your car is gonna get vandalized then for me that isn't even a discussion.. I'd just rather not have to deal with the bullshit.. If the fiesta checks most of the boxes and you get peace of mind, it kinda makes more sense..

I'm not telling you to not buy the gti.. I'm just saying I'd be pissed that my car got molested...

Rob Daman

Ready to race!
I was about to buy a new FiST but because the salesguy lied after I drove 75 miles to get it, I told him to kick rocks and I went to a VW dealer and picked up an R for a steal. Obviously much different cars but I have 2 little kids and it as tight for them while the R same as GTI has rear room that fits adults.

ReflexxMK7

Ready to race!
I looked at and did an extended test drive with the Focus ST before getting the GTI. The Focus was unruly with gobs of torque steer, you'd have to get the LSD if you wanted to track it or race it. The interior was cramped and cheap aside from the Recaro seats. Those were nice, but would suck to sit in for more than an hour. It was soo small! Sitting next to my Wife's CX5 it looked like a toy. I am glad I went with the VeeDub. Buy the GTI and get a used Chevy Spark for a DD... LoL

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Okay guys first of all thank you for all the input. I got to drive both for a long period of time today without the salesmen. Here's what I found out on round #2...

1. Fiesta ST Round 2: It's the same car in the dry. Just an absolute blast to drive. In the dry it hooked up a bit better. The main difference of this drive that I found was the shifter and clutch. They are excellent. Probably the easiest shifting unit I have driven in a long long time and they give you the confidence to quick shift and power-shift only minutes after you step in the car for the first time. Once again I found that it feels faster than I know it is. Honestly, I think it feels faster than the GTI even though I know it isn't. It still handled like a dream being very tail happy but was lacking in total mechanical grip (Would be fixed with 225's). The 1.6 sounds a bit better too. This time I was able to focus on the details more and the interior between the two cars are completely in a different league. Even the steering wheel, while nice, was much cheaper and this was clear this time around.

2. GTI Round 2 (Base, 6MT)

I gotta say, going out on my own saved the GTI. They had the configuration I wanted this time so I was able to see exactly the one I would buy. I drove my brothers MK6 there and it's actually pretty crazy to see how much the cars change in just one generation. Anyways, the plaid seats are comfortable and well supported. The infotainment system seems okay at best, but the interface is nice and quick. I drove this right after I drove the Fiesta and my brothers MK6 and the difference in interior quality is absurd. Minus the gauge and infotainment center bezel, I think you would have a tough time finding any touchable hard plastic. It's just a nicer place to be. I got to really rip on it this time since it was nice out. The power is good, but truly it feels slower than the ST (I know my mind is playing tricks on me because it is significantly faster). Shifts are decent but just like on my MK5 I think there is too little feel/communication in the clutch pedal. On some twisty roads the car felt great with a smoother ride than the ST. Again I still think the ST actually handles much better or at least more to my preference but the GTI is still amazing compared to the previous gens. I really want to feel a PP car but they didn't have one sadly. The power is good but I was surprised at how much more lag there was than than old K03 turbos. It actually felt like very similar lag to my K04. The car just looks great too. Funny story too... The winding road I take goes by a Hotel and I turn around in a business lot right after that. There was a young guy maybe ~25 walking out to his car and his head turned on a swivel when he saw me coming around the corner. So I turned around and he's actually on the sidewalk just waiting for me to go by, so I rip it and pass him while he's giving me 2 thumbs up haha. Kinda weird since usually these cars don't attract attention but that lad was loving it. My closing thoughts was "Why the hell does any person need any other car than this?"

So I figured out how much they should be before haggling:
Fiesta ST: $20,380
GTI: $22,800

(That's after incentives and rebates).

What am I going to do?
Well the thing that changed this time was knowing the pricing. For god sakes, post dieselgate they are basically giving these cars away. I was thinking the GTI was going to be about 4K more than the fiesta but that isn't the case. There is simply not a big enough price difference for the Fiesta to make sense. I'm going to get the GTI. I already have a fun racecar, so no need to give up comfort for a little more fun on the streets. I see no need for anyone to want more car than that. It is fantastic and I'm pumped to start playing with it.

*Also I must note that I think if I could only choose one car I might have gone with the ST because the fun factor. But since I have that already checked off, the GTI is the clear winner. Will update this with things I find.

**Also x2, there's a couple reason I didn't test drive the Focus ST.
1. I have a lot of miles in my friends 2013 ST2.
2. The pricing is literally more expensive than the GTI and it is not more car than the GTI.
3. Everyone and their mothers have one in Detroit area.
4. They torque steer like crazy.
5. Not as playful as the Fiesta.

***Also x3 This was my first new car buying experience and it was fantastic. Both salesman at Tom Hozler Ford (Farmington Hill, MI) and Suburban VW (Farmington Hills, MI) were absolutely excellent and so far I've really enjoyed the experience.

Last edited:

wave

Ready to race!
That was a good follow up. Nice to hear your take and that you decided on the GTI.

Also, as funny as it sounds, and like you mentioned, I get thumbs up and compliments on my car all the time from dudes. I don't think most girls notice, because it isn't so flashy and in-your-face sports car, but the guys who know definitely admire the car. I had a guy in an AMG Benz last week pull up to a light and proceed to tell me how nice the car looked. That's a win in my book.
Good luck with the car!

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
I know you said you have a fun car already, but you seem like the kind of guy who'd truly appreciate a PP GTI. You should get one. Factory upgraded brakes and a state-of-the-art differential for 1500?! You KNOW that's a steal.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
That was a good follow up. Nice to hear your take and that you decided on the GTI.

Also, as funny as it sounds, and like you mentioned, I get thumbs up and compliments on my car all the time from dudes. I don't think most girls notice, because it isn't so flashy and in-your-face sports car, but the guys who know definitely admire the car. I had a guy in an AMG Benz last week pull up to a light and proceed to tell me how nice the car looked. That's a win in my book.
Good luck with the car!

Well that's the cool thing is that the people that don't know cars, just see the GTI as another hatchback BUT the people who genuinely know cars love or at least respect the GTI. Not to mention the MK7 body when slightly lowered and spaced is gorgeous. I'm picking it up today today and I can't wait!

I know you said you have a fun car already, but you seem like the kind of guy who'd truly appreciate a PP GTI. You should get one. Factory upgraded brakes and a state-of-the-art differential for 1500?! You KNOW that's a steal.

Hahaha I wish. Finding a Base S w/ PP is literally impossible around me haha. It is a killer deal but I already have a track only car so I "think" I can live without. But we'll see. Next month you'll see a for trade thread with me looking for a PP car lol.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Look forward to hearing your impressions after owning it for a few weeks. What're you getting? man/dsg, 2/4dr, packages... etc.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Look forward to hearing your impressions after owning it for a few weeks. What're you getting? man/dsg, 2/4dr, packages... etc.

It's a 2-dr Poverty Spec 6MT Black with zero options BUT it is a 2016 so it has the new Head-unit/Infotainment system. That's honestly how I wanted it specced, I'm a pretty no frills guy and coming from a base MK5 GTI, this was a big step up in features already. Build thread and impressions will happen :p

GTIBEN

Ready to race!
I test drove the GTI and ST Fiest several times before deciding on the GTI. Here are my honest non biased thoughts and opinions:

The GTI won on the interior/exterior, power, interior/cargo space, and comfort. Better baseline power/speed and better response to modding.

The ST won on fun factor, steering/handling, brakes, overall dyamics, clutch/shift feel, sound and reliability. Probably resale value too. Thanks dieselgate...

If I could go back in time I would have gotten the FIST for my second car. I already have my fast car (15' GT stang). Every time I look at these forums or other forums, there are thread about complaints of issues with their VW/GTI. Many of the complaints are serious. There is a 3 page thread over at VWVortex with 9 different DSG failures! Blown motors, several early-build turbo failures, slipping clutches, weird noises, vibrations... I have had several new cars over the years and Ive never seen so many complaints in such a short time.
These cars respond awesome to tunes but you couldn't pay me to jeopardize my warranty with this car!
I really quesition the reliability of these cars and can't wait to unload my GTI to be honest.

Last edited: