GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Don't Think I Want a Tesla

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Li-ion batteries have a history of fire issues including in airplanes... The very disconcerting issues with EVs and soon to be on the roadway AVs is that fire depts. have no means to extinguish a Li-ion battery when it internally short circuits on it's own or in a crash. Tesla and other EVs where no fire existed at the time of the crash have self-ignited the battery weeks after the vehicle was left alone sitting in a wreck yard. This is a serious hazard that has yet to be addressed.

The QC is so poor on the model 3 that Tesla has been rushing out the door to try and appease Wall Street that Consumer Reports has withdrawn it's recommendation of the model 3. The lawsuits are ongoing for the model S and X autopilot deaths.

Musk has once again in recent days violated SEC regulations and is likely to be fined millions more for improper corporate claims on Twitter. He could be banned for years from being the CEO of any company for his violation of the $20 million SEC settlement for his last fraudulent Twitter posts regarding taking Tesla private. He also has two pending lawsuits for calling a cave rescuer a "pedo" so the man is keeping plenty busy...

Enjoy your current petrol or Diesel ride as politicians pandering for votes from tree huggers are looking to make our cars extinct by 2040 at the latest. VW plans to only offer EVs by 2030 according to press releases. This could be a fatal blow to their very existence IMO.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Glad to see I'm not the only one who sees Musk and Tesla for what they are.

There are a dozen reasons why I wouldn't want to own a Tesla, but none of them have to do with the car itself (unless we're talking about the model 3, which is just junk).

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
It happens to gas cars too though, its just when it’s a Tesla everyone freaks out.

Simply a matter of the odds.
1 ICE car out of 500,000,000 catches on fire. No big deal.
1 Tesla out of 50 catches on fire and it is a bigly deal.

rmchung1

Not surprising considering everything below the passenger compartment is all battery; it'll be the same for all electric vehicles. Wouldn't be any different if an ICE engine was all below the cockpit as oppose to in the hood.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Not surprising considering everything below the passenger compartment is all battery; it'll be the same for all electric vehicles. Wouldn't be any different if an ICE engine was all below the cockpit as oppose to in the hood.

ICE engines/lead-acid batteries don't internally short circuit and catch fire. It has nothing to do with being "below the passenger compartment". It's a technical issue with the basic design of a Li-ion battery including those in laptops and other devices that catch fire. That's why they are being banned more and more in aircraft where you can't tolerate a fire.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Glad to see I'm not the only one who sees Musk and Tesla for what they are.

There are a dozen reasons why I wouldn't want to own a Tesla, but none of them have to do with the car itself (unless we're talking about the model 3, which is just junk).

In what appears to be another desperation move Musk today announced that Tesla is moving all sales online, closing stores, eliminating employees and offering the $35,000 model 3 that was once promised. The problem is of course that Tesla sales have dropped off and they can't make a profit selling the model 3 @ $35K so this is just a move to generate cash flow to try and meet upcoming debt repayment. Elon's math just doesn't add up as he expects 500K model 3 sales annually yet they can't deliver 10,000 units monthly. Maybe he should talk to his accountants? :rolleyes:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/tesla-moves-all-sales-online-announces-35-000-model-3-n977911

rmchung1

ICE engines/lead-acid batteries don't internally short circuit and catch fire. It has nothing to do with being "below the passenger compartment". It's a technical issue with the basic design of a Li-ion battery including those in laptops and other devices that catch fire. That's why they are being banned more and more in aircraft where you can't tolerate a fire.

ICE engines do catch fire, do they not? It is much easier to pull a door open when a fire is contained in the hood of a vehicle, away from the passenger compartment. With a fire below the passenger compartment, the fire will move up alongside the vehicle doors, making it substantially more difficult to pull a door open or even get a door open. I'm not specifically talking about this incident, but just in general. A fire starting in the hood of a vehicle gives you way more time to get out of a vehicle, than if a fire started below the passenger compartment.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
ICE engines do catch fire, do they not? It is much easier to pull a door open when a fire is contained in the hood of a vehicle, away from the passenger compartment. With a fire below the passenger compartment, the fire will move up alongside the vehicle doors, making it substantially more difficult to pull a door open or even get a door open. I'm not specifically talking about this incident, but just in general. A fire starting in the hood of a vehicle gives you way more time to get out of a vehicle, than if a fire started below the passenger compartment.

My point is the EV Li-ion battery is dangerous and unpredictable. It would not matter if it was under hood or chassis once it short circuits it will burn everything to the ground. If there are flames coming from it then yes it might burn someone's legs getting out of an EV/AV.

Since I'll never own an EV it will be an issue for those who do. ;)

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
With that logic, we should just go back to steam and coal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
With that logic, we should just go back to steam and coal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Your logic is flawed... ;)

Safer batteries would be a nice step forward so EVs and AVs don't burn to the ground as Tesla vehicles have been doing for years.

scheintot

Your logic is flawed... ;)

Safer batteries would be a nice step forward so EVs and AVs don't burn to the ground as Tesla vehicles have been doing for years.

And somehow lithium ion batteries have been used successfully in consumer products since 1991 with great success. When was the last time your Lithium-ion equipped cell phone battery, power tool battery or laptop battery burst into flame? It sounds like you're a bit paranoid TechGuy.

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
And somehow lithium ion batteries have been used successfully in consumer products since 1991 with great success. When was the last time your Lithium-ion equipped cell phone battery, power tool battery or laptop battery burst into flame? It sounds like you're a bit paranoid TechGuy.

Actually numerous laptops and phones have caught fire and burned airplanes, houses, people, etc. Some airlines demand the Li-ion batteries be removed from all carry on electronic devices including laptops. Even fire depts. have acknowledged they have no proper means to deal with EV batteries that short circuit and catch fire. Sorry but the facts don't lie. No paranoia here. Just reality.

Last edited: