GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
for what it is worth EQT recommended tracking my car with their E50 tune instead of adding torco or more octane and then running the 91 octane tune. They also recommended running the motul sport 5w40 oil in my car at the track and that is what they run in Ed's Golf R at the track

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
@billbadass of course he did. Racing on 91oct acn is asking for trouble.

But if you feel adventurous id use amsoil 0w30 signature series or this oil instead. Both oils much better than motul. Shearing protection loss of 6% at 275F while latter oil incredible 0.6% at 275F. Dont know what kind of temps you reach tracking but i doubt its more than 240-250. Just for your consideration.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
So I just bought a PR 450 and upgraded fuel line. Will I need a fuel controller for this pump? I’m currently on a stage 2 base file with IC, downpipe and intake. Will any significant gains be realized on a custom tune with the pump or not until I go mpi? I plan on going mpi eventually. Would like to make low 400s.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
@billbadass of course he did. Racing on 91oct acn is asking for trouble.

But if you feel adventurous id use amsoil 0w30 signature series or this oil instead. Both oils much better than motul. Shearing protection loss of 6% at 275F while latter oil incredible 0.6% at 275F. Dont know what kind of temps you reach tracking but i doubt its more than 240-250. Just for your consideration.

to clarify, what i asked them was if they would prefer track the car on the lower power 91 octane tune but put some Torco or Sunoco100 octane in there so the octane of the fuel is substantially higher than 91 octane, or just send it on the E50 tune. E50 was what they recommended

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
So I just bought a PR 450 and upgraded fuel line. Will I need a fuel controller for this pump? I’m currently on a stage 2 base file with IC, downpipe and intake. Will any significant gains be realized on a custom tune with the pump or not until I go mpi? I plan on going mpi eventually. Would like to make low 400s.

I made 468whp on Ed's dyno on E50 with nothing but an autotech HPFP for what it's worth. stock LPFP and no MPI. I think his dyno might be a little generous but yeah

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Hey Ed,

you built my car last year and I absolutely LOVE this thing. Going to take it out on the big track at Sonoma in March.

1. what oil do you recommend for open tracking this MK7 at ~470whp power level?

2. you tuned my car to ~390whp on 91 octane, and ~470whp on E50, which one do you recommend for open track at Sonoma? or should I run the 91 octane tune but put some 100 octane Sunoco unleaded and/or torco?

1. Motul Sport 5w-40

2. The all around safest approach would be to run the 91 tune with a few gallons of 100 octane in the tank. That being said, you should be plenty safe running the E50 tune as well.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed,

Stupid question here. I'm going to be tracking the car in Florida summer heat and getting ready to do stg 1 tune. Would it be safer to run the 91 OCT OTS tune with 93 OCT gas, or is it better to just use the 93 OCT OTS tune? My biggest concern is not damaging the engine, not trying to squeeze out every last hp.

Running the 91 map with 93 will be safer overall. But my 93 map should run just fine on track. If you're worried, add a few gallons of 100 to a tank of 93.

-- Ed

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Running the 91 map with 93 will be safer overall. But my 93 map should run just fine on track. If you're worried, add a few gallons of 100 to a tank of 93.

-- Ed

What's your opinion on using Torco to boost octane especially long term use?

joneze93tsi

Passed Driver's Ed
Every tuner has a different answer when you ask "what is needed for 100% e85 on a FBO is20".

Has anyone got a full e85 tune from Ed@EQT?

I've been told everything from HPFP & LPFP to "might be able to without any additional fueling"
^ Which I find highly suspect.

I miss running straight e85 and would love to stop blending as its so plentiful here.

I know at least a HPFP would be needed (at least in my head).

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Because some aren't comfortable with what you have to do to achieve it (i.e. run it lean at spots or taper boost because there isn't enough available fueling). And then you have environmental impacts as well. You get it set for when it's 80 outside in summer then it gets down to 30 degrees in winter and there is more oxygen in the same amount of air and now there isn't enough fuel. Oh and of course you were running it lean to begin with when it was warm, now it runs even leaner...POP

joneze93tsi

Passed Driver's Ed
Diggs,

Spot on as always..

I think some tuners like to cater to the lowest common denominator. IE: "i wanna go fast but spend 99cents and not a penny more"

There *IS* a safe answer to this question.

Whether its HPFP or HPFP + LPFP is the answer. Making a full time (really anything e60+ ) tune itself isnt unsafe (has been done a million times on BT setups).

But where people seem to differ is what headroom you need for worst case scenario fueling on IS20.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Ed

Slightly off topic, but are you doing a "tax return" sale this year by any chance?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
What's your opinion on using Torco to boost octane especially long term use?

It's ok once in a while but I wouldn't use it regularly. Leaves a lot of deposits.

-- Ed