GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Long story short, hit a ton of roadblocks one after the other and was basically working on it from 10am until a few minutes ago. Exhaust has a leak that I can’t fix due to missing a clamp, and the car finally runs after some hiccups but I’m dripping one drop of oil per second at idle. Looks like it’s coming from the oil feed banjo on the turbo I think, real bummer.

Totally beat, but she runs... Really gonna be disappointed if I have to pull it again :(

Oh yeah need to find a way to properly tighten my axle because I ran out of time and only torqued two or three of the bolts 🤦‍♂️

Gotta be out the door at 5:15 tomorrow morning to do some more Army grunt work so at least I have a ride again. Gonna try to look at it tomorrow night if I can recover some energy
The good part it you now know how to do it. Good to see you pushed through and got it done. Average time for me to pull and install is about 9 hours on jack stands. Good job (Alex) :)

Deathbyart

Go Kart Newbie
I found out the timing chain cover gasket is leaking oil. I am tempted to trade this car in, I have spent so much money on it. I"ll never get to mod it if I can't get the oil to stay in the damn motor.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I found out the timing chain cover gasket is leaking oil. I am tempted to trade this car in, I have spent so much money on it. I"ll never get to mod it if I can't get the oil to stay in the damn motor.
Haha, yea i have been there my friend. The good news is the upper timing cover gasket cost about $20 and isn't too hard to change. I just did one on an AUDI A4 but I think its even easier on an Audi.
You can do it with some basic hand tools

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Is that banjo bolt supposed to have crush washers?
Yes, supposed to have one on both sides. He sent me a pic and I told him he's missing one!

I told him you can likely use a wobble and get that bolt out. Put crush washer on turbo maybe put a little silicone on it so it doesn't move while trying to get everything back together. Then slide the other one on the bolt and dont drop it!

Attachments

• tempFileForShare_20200823-224848_444693317700413.jpg
    tempFileForShare_20200823-224848_444693317700413.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 107

zrickety

The Fixer
Yes, supposed to have one on both sides. He sent me a pic and I told him he's missing one!

I told him you can likely use a wobble and get that bolt out. Put crush washer on turbo maybe put a little silicone on it so it doesn't move while trying to get everything back together. Then slide the other one on the bolt and dont drop it!
Hard to tell from the pic, but the upper line may be missing both crush washers...

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion

This is correct. When I pulled my K03, I noticed that it only had a single crush washer on both the oil banjo and the coolant banjo, obviously not correct but I was amazed I didn’t have any issues with it, guessing it was taken off by the previous owner or a shop in one of my many repairs and simply not done properly... The USP turbo install kit that I received contained no new crush washers and so I had to throw it together and get it running for work this morning. I figured this would happen and if I had more time I would’ve done it properly for sure.

So there’s one single washer on both coolant and oil banjos currently and they were reused from previous setup. 🤷‍♂️

GolNat

Autocross Champion
This is correct. When I pulled my K03, I noticed that it only had a single crush washer on both the oil banjo and the coolant banjo, obviously not correct but I was amazed I didn’t have any issues with it, guessing it was taken off by the previous owner or a shop in one of my many repairs and simply not done properly... The USP turbo install kit that I received contained no new crush washers and so I had to throw it together and get it running for work this morning. I figured this would happen and if I had more time I would’ve done it properly for sure.

So there’s one single washer on both coolant and oil banjos currently and they were reused from previous setup. 🤷‍♂️

Were they not attached to the turbo still? Both my bottom washers were stuck on the turbo.

Also you need that thick washer for the coolant return line. My kit did not come with one.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Were they not attached to the turbo still? Both my bottom washers were stuck on the turbo.

Also you need that thick washer for the coolant return line. My kit did not come with one.
You got yours up and running yet? Make a vid and give first impressions as it happens!

GolNat

Autocross Champion
You got yours up and running yet? Make a vid and give first impressions as it happens!

Negative. Have not had time to get back to it. I did try to clock it and can't get it to budge so I'm just going to pull it out. Might have time tomorrow. It went untouched all weekend :( I might still need to buy a new elbow since the pancake pipe will not fit into the Spulen one I have. I'm hoping once it's not smashing into the timing cover it will be okay.

I did buy my Unitronic 2+ tune so that is ready to go.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Negative. Have not had time to get back to it. I did try to clock it and can't get it to budge so I'm just going to pull it out. Might have time tomorrow. It went untouched all weekend :( I might still need to buy a new elbow since the pancake pipe will not fit into the Spulen one I have. I'm hoping once it's not smashing into the timing cover it will be okay.

I did buy my Unitronic 2+ tune so that is ready to go.
Mine ended up clearing after about an hour of adjustment with my pipes. I still barely clear the timing cover though. Also remember that bracket you mentioned cutting? I think I was one of the unlucky few who needed to cut that because it was tremendously difficult getting the line to fit with it on

Negative on the turbo, I looked all over and even put my camera inside the little subframe to see if I might’ve just not heard it fall. Nowhere to be found. Coolant has been holding steady and I didn’t have that thicker washer so I’m not sure what to think there, only time will tell.

I’ll think about pulling it and looking at everything again once I get time but the thought of even removing my intake at this point makes me feel tired lol

Timothy Bryce

Ready to race!
Weather's rubbish here today so turned my attention to the interior as my new shift boot just turned up. It's not a perfect match for the seats but close enough. Haven't attached the boot to the knob yet as I'm waiting for a raceseng knob so will trim the boot once I decided which knob is staying and which is going on ebay.

Attachments

• IMG_8812.jpg
    IMG_8812.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 224
  • IMG_8814.jpg
    IMG_8814.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 224