GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

cb1111

What socket wrenches do you guys use? All of mine are practically useless...my Cobalt 1/4" is stuck in one direction and my Craftsman 1/4" is too weak to turn anything that requires a little bit of force. Instead of wasting money on another set I was looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8
Stay far away from Amazon no-name crap. Get Wera/Wiha/Gedore/Stahlwille etc. Find what you like at kctoolco, subtract 10% (there is coupon code, then check prices at amazon and finally at Amazon.de - usually the cheapest. Amazon.de will ship to the US and they automatically remove the VAT and charge in $$. The final amount will only show up on the "buy now" page, for you can figure that the Euro prices are roughly what you'll pay in dollars.

You can buy lots of cheap junky Chinese crap or you can bite the bullet and buy decent tools in the first place. Your knuckles will thank you, your non-rounded lugbolts will thank you as will your children and grandchildren when they get your tools.

And in the long run you'll save money and time. In addition, you'll be more likely to tackle a job if you have good tools. The only time I buy cheap tools is when I know it'll be a one-use and then it goes to Goodwill.

I have one of those "one size fits all" sockets and, quite frankly, it works sometime, but is pretty fiddly and you're better off reaching for the proper socket.

Last edited:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I have (enroute) a 2019 Alltrack SEL (DSG) and I'm looking for a set of winter wheels. I've been offered a set of Classix (aka Seven-X) wheels.

The stock Canyon wheels are 18x7.5 with a 51mm offset.
The Seven-X wheels are 17x7 with a 54mm offset

ECS shows them as not fitting, but the wheel should actually be a couple of mm farther away from suspension bits.

IIRC, the SevenX came on a MkV (2007ish) GTI. Would the MkV have a different hub bore or something I'm overlooking.

Tires will be Conti Viking7 205/55/17

Does anybody have any thoughts?
These fit the front of my PP GTI fine. They are pretty tucked in though, which a spacer can fix.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
But because the wheel is narrower (by a half inch), doesn't the mounting points of the wheel actually move farther away from the car?

But.....

The 7 inch wheel is 177.8 mm and the 7.5 inch wheel is 190.5

So, the centerline for the stock (7.5 inch wheel) is 95.25 mm - add 51 and you're at 146.25 from the lip of the wheel to the place where it meets the hub
and the centerline for the other (7 inch wheel) is 88.9 mm - add 54 and you're at 142.9

Or is my math off?

willtheyfit.com will answer your questions.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Thanks gents. Interestingly enough, I called ECS and they were adamant about the wheels not fitting over the brakes/lines - just reinforces my ideas about ECS
I believe these are the ones? Swapped when I had a flat. Car was pretty much new with full pad life and I do recall it being tight, but it was fine.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
What socket wrenches do you guys use? All of mine are practically useless...my Cobalt 1/4" is stuck in one direction and my Craftsman 1/4" is too weak to turn anything that requires a little bit of force. Instead of wasting money on another set I was looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8
Buying quality tools is like buying quality car parts. Pay a higher price for a set that will last, and has a good warranty.

I have a mix of Snap On, Matco, and S&K. The two premium brands were because I worked at a shop for awhile, and jumped on board with the tool trucks.

But the S&K https://sktools.com/shop/sockets-sets.html?cat=6 in 1/4" is probably my go to for a lot of things that don't have high torque. The black set, with swivel head sockets, and a quality ratchet has been awesome.

cb1111

Has anybody used this Garmin Mini Dash cam? I'm looking for a decent, cheap front/rear dash cam for my new Alltrack. I don't need any cutesy features or in device screens. I also want something I won't see see while in the car (so hidden behind the mirror.

The garmin has decent reviews from PC Magazine, CNET and so forth. Thoughts?

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Has anybody used Microsoft Teams for anything other the video - file sharing - notifications etc. ????
I use it day in and day out at work. It’s been our main inter-office communication tool since the ‘rona happened. If you have any questions I can try and help.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Are *all* 2019+ GTIs equipped with the LSD? I have a 2019 S, love the car, just curious if it's truly standard for all, as I've heard mixed things.

Also, has a final 'generally accepted' opinion been reached on the Forge TWINtercooler? I'm mostly stock, but hear heat soak is an issue on these cars with the stock sandwich mount setup. I'm looking at the Forge option for ease of install, but I'm uncertain if it's going to cause a noticable dip in performance. Not planning on going for a tune for a while, but items like this that will improve performance even on the stock setup are on my mind.

I've been unable to confirm heat soak on the GTI since the weather has been cold, but I'd like to get ahead of it if it's going to be an issue in the summertime.

On a completely different note, I can't gush enough about how much I love this car -- it's an absolute hoot to drive, fit and finish is great, and it really oozes 'premium' compared to what I'm used to. Not that I don't enjoy my other cars, but this is by far the nicest (and newest) vehicle I've ever owned. Response in turns is sublime, and the aesthetic overall screams 'sporty' without being over-the-top. I know it's not the fastest thing out there, but it lives up to what fifteen-year-old me wanted.

edit: changed 2017.5+ to 2019, sounds like 2018 still didn't get the mechanical LSD, but rather a brake-based system.

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Are *all* 2019+ GTIs equipped with the LSD? I have a 2019 S, love the car, just curious if it's truly standard for all, as I've heard mixed things.

Also, has a final 'generally accepted' opinion been reached on the Forge TWINtercooler? I'm mostly stock, but hear heat soak is an issue on these cars with the stock sandwich mount setup. I'm looking at the Forge option for ease of install, but I'm uncertain if it's going to cause a noticable dip in performance. Not planning on going for a tune for a while, but items like this that will improve performance even on the stock setup are on my mind.

I've been unable to confirm heat soak on the GTI since the weather has been cold, but I'd like to get ahead of it if it's going to be an issue in the summertime.

On a completely different note, I can't gush enough about how much I love this car -- it's an absolute hoot to drive, fit and finish is great, and it really oozes 'premium' compared to what I'm used to. Not that I don't enjoy my other cars, but this is by far the nicest (and newest) vehicle I've ever owned. Response in turns is sublime, and the aesthetic overall screams 'sporty' without being over-the-top. I know it's not the fastest thing out there, but it lives up to what fifteen-year-old me wanted.

edit: changed 2017.5+ to 2019, sounds like 2018 still didn't get the mechanical LSD, but rather a brake-based system.
No. It’s not a mechanical lsd. It’s this other shit. It works well when you can nail a good blend of xds + use the increase traction mode and have good tires equipped. but even with all this, at the limit there’s this little delay but at least you won’t terminally understeer

dunno about the twintercooler

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI

I think the twintercooler would serve it's purpose on an otherwise stock or mostly stock car. Install is pretty straightforward, it's expensive for what it is though.

Direct-fit replacements have been proven better for flow and cooling at most power levels. But Install is a B.

Front mounts are an easier install and cool perfectly fine. Depending on the core design they also flow fine but relatively speaking pressure drop is more of an issue compared to direct-fit if that is something you care about.