GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... California Nears $8 Gallon Gas - Biden Sends Zelenskyyy $61 Billion

torga

Autocross Champion
I absolutely agree on this. I can’t stand the fact that we have the nerve to call ours “standard”.
I got good at eyeballing smaller metric measurements (<20 cm) after finding out that the width of my pinky nail is exactly 1cm. Made things easy from then.
Still trying to get a feel for temperature. My very, very loose way of converting is F = 2*C + 30 (backwards is C = (F - 30)/2 ). It's obviouly not exact, but way faster to do in my head than F = (9/5)*C + 32 or C = (F + 32)*(5/9). And it's accurate enough for the typical 32-100F that most people experience throughout the year.
My gf grew up in Europe, so I had to figure out a quick way to give her a response in Celsius when she asks me what the weather's gonna be like.

torga

Autocross Champion

Phur

Autocross Champion
Trouble is that we are still using old imperial measurements in certain circumstances as it was the EU that forced the change to metric on us in the UK...

So we still have car speedos in MPH, road markings etc are MPH

Still order a "pint" at the pub or order a "dram" of your spirit...

Most items although legal have to be sold in metric are also usually described in both metric & imperial...

Having done structural engineering & architecture, etc. at college & university I do most stuff in metric as it is more "modular"....but I know my weight in height is stones & feet/inches...& distances when mountaineering as miles...even thought ALL the UK OS grid system marked on the maps is at 1km intervals...

I can work ok with it, but a 100% change to metric in the car speedos/road signs etc would be much better......just many want to hang onto the old "mph" & pint"....it doesn't sound same when trying to order "0.56lt".....
We took a vacation to Niagara Falls a long time ago. I knew that Canada used the metric system. But for whatever reason, when thinking about driving over there it had not occurred to me that the speed limit signs would be in kph. I just hadn’t given it any thought. I was so confused for a just a moment when I saw the first 100 speed limit sign.
😳😔

golfdave

Autocross Champion
And they think pounds are money and you weigh yourself in stones. 🤭

Actually official weights are metric & have been for years...just that most weighing scales will show both metric & imperial measurements.

Just like most tape measures etc show metric & imperial...& your cars speedo shows mph & kmph

re money..actually its "Sterling".....

But if you want to pound your stones, or weight them in pounds that's up to you!!... :ROFLMAO:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
And they write their dates backwards and call 2 week intervals fortnights.

day/month/year...is logical........as its smallest to largest "division"..

month/day/year.......is like WTF????...

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
77E71FA8-B96B-4E07-991C-C22947D29F79.jpeg

Phur

Autocross Champion

Phur

Autocross Champion
Bro, you didn't have to specify, the near sighted mohawk baby is seared into our brains 😄
I’m sorry you can’t rock it.
1613770903994.png
So sad.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
I'll just post this.....;)

"one rule to rule them all"...

Helix Rule.jpg

Last edited: