GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The COVID19 SCAMdemic... California Nears $8 Gallon Gas - Biden Sends Zelenskyyy $61 Billion

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Eh.. I kinda get the idea of having a thicker core sitting infront of the lower radiator might cause hotter temps, but you still have the upper airflow.. Unless the crash bar causes a hot spot on these cars that i'm not aware of?

Currently there is a stock IC delete kit out there.. but would you really see better temps by creating all that dead air space between the AC and radiator or would you create weird flow on the radiator?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Front mounts block way too much air to the radiator, even more so if you leave the stock ic in. For a highway warrior it's fine but any car that sees the track will have temp issues.

Not worth it for the heat issues.
I doubt this. But I’ll find out soon. It’s almost track season. Worse case, I’ll just get a larger radiator.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I'll keep an eye on it post install as we're starting to get into the warmer months here in SoCal. Though after reading through a lot of the Baun stuff and some other FMIC threads, I've never seen any issues being brought up by someone who owns an FMIC - they're just being made by someone else on the thread.. So while I logically want to say you're correct, I've seen no practical data to say it's an issue.

Yea probably not very noticeable unless conditions are extreme.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Eh.. I kinda get the idea of having a thicker core sitting infront of the lower radiator might cause hotter temps, but you still have the upper airflow.. Unless the crash bar causes a hot spot on these cars that i'm not aware of?

Currently there is a stock IC delete kit out there.. but would you really see better temps by creating all that dead air space between the AC and radiator or would you create weird flow on the radiator?
Nah it’ll be fine. I’d worry if those brackets cause the ac condenser to vibrate. That could set off the knock sensors

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
I recall reading something from George at Burger Tuning and he said something along the lines of that it doesn't really matter whose brand intercooler you have. They will all work pretty similar. I went through the intercooler thread and going by the intake temps...there isn't a huge discrepancy between the different brands. I'm talking stock turbos here.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Nah it’ll be fine. I’d worry if those brackets cause the ac condenser to vibrate. That could set off the knock sensors
Looks like a pretty solid little kit.. You save 6 pounds after factoring in the brackets weight for dropping the stock IC:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/mqb-intercooler-delete-bracket-kit/024349ecs02~a/

Is it worth an additional 85 bucks to blaze a trail for something most never a have a problem with (leaving the dead IC in the heat sandwich)?

Edit: That dead space still seems kinda weird as I'd assume the IC is designed to help funnel air into the radiator.
1614745457995.png
1614745471524.png

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
I recall reading something from George at Burger Tuning and he said something along the lines of that it doesn't really matter whose brand intercooler you have. They will all work pretty similar. I went through the intercooler thread and going by the intake temps...there isn't a huge discrepancy between the different brands. I'm talking stock turbos here.
Due to the crazy amounts of volume the stock replacement intercoolers have. You’d need a bigger turbo to really be able to gauge all the different ones from each other. That’s a gross amount of volume. Yet it can’t perform as well as a front mount. It does get close though. But it’s not there.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Hell anything that isn't smaller should be an improvement over stock. Stock is tube and fin rather than Bar and plate too I believe, which isn't the best for air as a medium.