GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone fitted Bilstein B16 Damptronic Coilovers?

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
We had some pretty interesting findings today when shock dynoing the Bilstein Damptronic B16's for a MK7 Golf R (part number 49-255874). We found the Bilsteins only are able to control the rebound, while the factory shocks are able to control both compression and rebound with their valving. This means the Bilstein Damptronics are a less capable setup when looking at compression adjustment, but still happen to have slightly greater rebound range. Basically the only benefits to the Damptronics are adjustable spring perches to change ride height and stiffer springs. But are not beneficial when looking at the "active" functionalities of the shock. This is due to the valve used in this specific shock, however in other Bilstein kits we have tested, like the Porsche Kit, the valve is different and was able to control both rebound and compression.

View attachment 206502 View attachment 206503 View attachment 206504
Really appreciate you guys sharing the data and such a useful fact! B16s are off my future suspension upgrade list now

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Wait, the B16 Damptronic kit for the Golf R is a twin tube design, not a monotube? They have the same compression for all three settings? Am I reading that correctly?

DSC Sport

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
7.5 Golf R
Wait, the B16 Damptronic kit for the Golf R is a twin tube design, not a monotube? They have the same compression for all three settings? Am I reading that correctly?
This is how were are seeing it. Bilstein's website specifically states for this exact kit (part number 49-255874), "These kits offer monotube performance dampers with matched springs..." Bilstein 49-255874. Which would make sense why the valve only controls rebound. But yes you are reading that correctly. The compression remains consistent while the rebound changes. Take a look back on the shock dyno results back in this thread

DSC Sport

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
7.5 Golf R
I have also emailed Bilstein yesterday morning regarding this to see if the information as well as our finding are correct. Still waiting on that response

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I have also emailed Bilstein yesterday morning regarding this to see if the information as well as our finding are correct. Still waiting on that response
Will you/tractive be releasing coilovers for this platform? I see some listed in the tractive catalog but no pricing or compatibility with the non-standalone controller mentioned.

DSC Sport

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
7.5 Golf R
Will you/tractive be releasing coilovers for this platform? I see some listed in the tractive catalog but no pricing or compatibility with the non-standalone controller mentioned.
We will be releasing the Tractive/DSC Sport Coilover kit for the entire MQB platform soon. We already have the kit in house. We just need to finish up some valving for the set to get it perfect.

Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Glad to hear. I wanted to share some data we found surprising. No intentions to talk down on a product. I figured we can share the data and people can take it for what its worth to them.
I appreciate this. I've gone through 4 different suspension iterations now and I haven't been happy with any of them. My current setup is dcc delete + standard b16 and it's painful on the street while way too soft for the track. My racecar runs springs 3 times stiffer than the b16 with a kwv3 custom valved setup and it's far more competent and comfortable than the b16 on my gti, especially at speed. I plan to go back to the stock dcc dampers since the performance from them was perfectly fine before, just various springs and coilover sleeves didn't fit the full length properly and had no room for a helper spring.

Is there a range of spring rate you guys recommend for the stock dampers? I get in theory that it's adaptable, but to what degree?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Do you guys plan to run a B6 Damptronic shock dyno as well? Considering these are supposed to be a small upgrade to the OEM shocks, I wonder if they allow for both compression and rebound adjustment between settings.
I was hoping for the same thing for B4 Damptronics, but I have never seen anybody mention them. Always B6+, Damptronics or standard dampers, haha. Seems to me like B6 is much more common than B16 but those that are more serious about their suspension are, I assume, more likely to be looking at the B16's.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Was in the same boat...

According to Bilstein the B16 coilovers cannot be rebuilt in the USA. Also, I'm not sure how stout the OEM DCC struts are to run stiffer springs. Any lowering spring will diminish the strut itself. Also, I'm very doubtful the DSC (no offense) controller can essentially act as a spring and shock in that it totally outweighs the function of a well matched coilover (match dampened strut + lowering spring). I would be interested in a shock setup that is designed by DSC that utilizes the controller AND has a track/road setup well integrated.

For now, consider the many coilover offerings out there. You won't lose much without the DCC.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The DSC, as I understand it, is not intended to act as a spring and shock. It's just supposed to do a better (than the OEM DCC Module) job controlling the adaptive dampers that are part of the DCC system.

For a lot of people, and I now count myself as one of them, DCC is must have if you use car for many things. For sure it is going to give up something on a serious track setup but in comfort it rides better than stock non-DCC suspension, imo. If the DSC Controller reduces the compromise (on one or both ends of the comfort - sport spectrum, though I'd assume the sport side is where more interest exists) it may be worth it to some people. And depending on the coilover setup may be cheaper as well.

Last edited: