GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New MK7.5 GTI owner looking for advise

gtiGreateness

Ready to race!
Hello All,

Not entirely sure where to post this so I figure id start here.

Just picked up a new 6MT MK7.5 GTI autobahn and so far things are meh to say the least. Don't get me wrong, its a great car, but coming from a stage 2 DSG MK6 GTI autobahn, you can see why the thrill is not exactly on point with my previous vehicle. I still do have the previous vehicle and boy is it still a joy to drive. Now that you know the back story, let me get to the point.

I have noticed a few things I am wondering if I am able to change/modify without voiding my warranty.

1. Is there a way to tighten the steering? When compared to the MK6, the MK7.5 just seems sloppy to say the least. I want more of a driver feel and less of an artificial feel when driving, especially around the bends.

2. Anyway to increase power without a JB4 or tune? Saw somewhere you can do this with an OBDeleven mod, but after extensive research chalked it up to placebo. Any other suggestions?

3. Is there a way to have the infotainment save my changes? For instance, when I turn off park assist and lane assist, they automatically turn back on when turning on the vehicle again. When I change the dashboard to display gas consumption, it will swap back to its default on start up again. This is a bit frustrating

4. I am noticing less than 300 miles to a tank of gas. is this normal? On my MK6 even with a tune I was getting in the 300 range easily.

I will note the vehicle is now at 700 miles, not sure if it maybe still needs to fully break in before things will start to get better?

Thanks,

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
1. there is a setting...sport mode/custom maybe (look in manual) it just cuts power assist
2. no
3.maybe with obdeleven or vagcom
4check your tire psi and driving style. What is your driving? city hwy, fast, slow?

it should get better mpg as it breaks in

Mud

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
1. Change your Steering setting to Sport in MIB
2. No. But changing to a freer flowing air filter might get you 1 or 2 hp. That does meet your definition of 'more power' :)
3. ODB11 or simililar tool.
4. Use the fuel consumption screen, that will help you figure out where you're losing MPG. I suspect it's your driving style without much other info to go on. I left my mpg monitors on for the first 1000 miles or so, just to see what's lowering my MPG. ackrabbit starts and aggressive passing where there I drop most of the mpg.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
When I moved from my 2011 Mk6 to the 2016 Mk7, the two things I noticed right up front were the lack of the tune. The Mk6 was APR Stage 1 and the new Mk7 was stock. Quite a difference. Installing the JB4 on the Mk7 helped, but not like a Stage 1 tune.

The other difference was the size of the fuel tank. The Mk6 held close to 14 gallons, and at 30 mpg, I'd get at least 350 miles on a tank before I needed to refuel. The most I've ever put into the Mk7 was about 11.5 gallons, so usually I have to refuel right around 300 miles.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Sorry to say these things are paperweights without a tune. I detuned mine for repairs and a wonky clutch and I get pwned by Hyundais. Default map is way turned down. The dealer even told me that and understands the need, so honors drivetrain warranty so long as it’s a reputable company. I’d ask the dealer about APR if you’re concerned with warranty.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
It is all in what you want. If I wanted a race car I would buy one. I think this car as plenty of get up and go without a tune. Way more than enough than you need to drive on public roads. Uberdot is in Germany, so I understand with the Autobaun you may need the power to keep from getting run over!

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
It is all in what you want. If I wanted a race car I would buy one. I think this car as plenty of get up and go without a tune. Way more than enough than you need to drive on public roads. Uberdot is in Germany, so I understand with the Autobaun you may need the power to keep from getting run over!
He is not in germany lol

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Just from the mothership, not currently residing in it
👽
🇩🇪

That said, my mk4 vr6 GTI has beaten my untuned mk7 in most cases. Tuned there’s blue whale lengths from a stop light.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I also complained about the steering wheel being actually a lil too stiff coming from the MK6 but went from Sport mode to I think it's called Comfort and enjoy it a lot more. It feels softer and more loose and I actually prefer that over the tighter sport mode.

I see you also went from DSG to Manual and most would complain about the manual lacking stock. There are mods you can do to enhance the shift experience. I literally just installed the Boomba Transmission Shift linkage adapter and it hella improved it. It still has the sloppyness if you jiggle it from neutral but the top to bottom distance has been shorten dramatically. I like it a lot more with just that mod alone (easy install).

I don't know much about increasing power without JB4 or tune. Those are the break and butter of power without messing with hardware. Honestly, these cars NEED a tune out of factory. The way they have their aggressive front end, they're mostly all talk and no action until they're tuned. I hear some people saying there is more than enough power stock. What exactly have you driven before? Clearly you haven't driven high performance cars and I just say anything with at least over 290hp can fit into that category... The car feels like a heavy pig without a tune. It's as if the wrong engine is the car and it struggles just to move its own weight. A stg1 tune immediately remedies that even when you're not flooring it. Just basic, get moving function such as taking off from a light or driving in a parking lot, you will feel it being peppy to the step as opposed to before (lifeless).

Regarding electronic function changes, a lot of that can be modified with OBDEleven. Not saying everything you want, but you can do a lot of tweaks with it.

I also am not sure how well gas has been for the car overall since I barely drive far and working from home. I fill up like once every 2 1/2, 3 weeks... So I wouldn't be a good person to gauge that really.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Ok, just because I am satisfied with the power the GTI has out of the box does not mean I have not driven high performance cars. I am 53 years old and have owned a ton of cars including a few over 300 HP. I just don't need to be flying around with the seat of my pants on fire to be satisfied with my cars performance. I don't track my GTI, so really no point.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Ok, just because I am satisfied with the power the GTI has out of the box does not mean I have not driven high performance cars. I am 53 years old and have owned a ton of cars including a few over 300 HP. I just don't need to be flying around with the seat of my pants on fire to be satisfied with my cars performance. I don't track my GTI, so really no point.
What have you owned above 300hp? Just curious.

gtiGreateness

Ready to race!
Thank you all for your responses,

@SnailpowerMk7 Ive read that transmission adapters can cause issues with the synchros, have you noticed any issues?

Just got the OBDeleven in the mail, however, been reading a lot of the tweaks Grimm the mk7 do not work on the 7.5 :(