GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'm genuinely curious, but isn't over 20lb pretty hefty for a 17" wheel? Granted it's a 17x9 but there are plenty of 17" and some 18" options that are under 19 lb so I was wondering.
Like you said, given the width, it's pretty good for a flow formed wheel. Forged can certainly be lighter, and you can certainly go lighter with flow formed, but it's going to be a trade off in terms of strength and deflection.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Alright gents, at this point a majority of the Group Buy orders have been shipped out and it seems quite a few of you have already gotten your new wheels mounted up.

Let's see those pictures and fitment info roll in! Since we were only able to initially fitment-test a couple of wheel/tire combos, our current MK7 fitment guide is quite lackluster at the moment. I am counting on you guys to collect fitment data for different wheel/tire/suspension setups to help bolster our guides. If you have a chance, please post any pictures and fitment info for your vehicle in our gallery thread located here: APEX Official MK7 Gallery Thread

Also, I would love to hear any first impressions from those of you who have been able to get out on track with your new wheels. Especially anything on how they compare to your previous aftermarket/stock track wheels!

-Geirsen
Haven't seen my shipping info come thru (just an email saying they'd ship by last Friday), assuming there's still some that haven't shipped out yet, or should I send you an email?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Haven't seen my shipping info come thru (just an email saying they'd ship by last Friday), assuming there's still some that haven't shipped out yet, or should I send you an email?

I didn't get tracking or anything, but they showed up today. Good surprise

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
One of our other APEX employees has a track-prepped GTI and just got his new 17x9" ET42 wheels mounted with 255/40-17 tires. Once he gets them on the car, we will document clearances and if the rear is too tight with the fuel-filler hose, we will use that as an opportunity to document a full DIY guide on the modification.

With that said, and from the info I have seen with the 17x9" ET42 so far, it looks like even with 255/40-17 track tires rear fuel filler hose clearance shouldn't be an issue. The relocation mod will likely only be required for non-R owners running a 18x9" ET42 with a 265/35-18 tire at all four corners.

-Geirsen
Hello Geirsen,

Regarding 18x9 ET42 with 265/35/18 tires; have you had any feedback yet from MK7 R or 8V S3 owners about fitment on the RR with the fuel-filler protective piece?
I'm thinking 255/35/18 should be no problem for the S3, but am curious about trying 265/35/18.

Millsn

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 7R
Yup.
I did, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I passed your email along to our shipping supervisor who is working with UPS to resolve the issue. You should hear back from him today if you haven't already.

-Geirsen
Very helpful. Paid the
20210722_162041.jpg
right value in the end.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Hello Geirsen,

Regarding 18x9 ET42 with 265/35/18 tires; have you had any feedback yet from MK7 R or 8V S3 owners about fitment on the RR with the fuel-filler protective piece?
I'm thinking 255/35/18 should be no problem for the S3, but am curious about trying 265/35/18.

No feedback from anyone running 265's just yet. However, the MK7 R has a factory relocated fuel filler hose compared to the standard Golf and GTI. With the additional clearance you get in the rear with the Golf R, there shouldn't be any major clearance issues depending on the specific tire selection and alignment settings. 255/35-18 tires are a safe bet to start out with though if you are worried about running extra camber to fit the 265's up front.

-Geirsen