GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If you were buying again DSG or MT

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Honestly I think that’s the route I’m going to go aswell. I’m never ever in traffic, and honestly I’m scared that if I get a dsg ill eventually miss driving manual. How much faster is the dsg really?
Depends. Dsg is A LOT faster on track where you're always foot to the floor upshift and foot deep in the brake on downshift. At these times it recognizes what you're doing and flips gears stupid fast, and the boost hold is great for keeping power.

For a novice driver, on a ~2 min course the dsg is worth 4-5 seconds. For an intermediate driver probably 2-3s, and for an advanced driver about 1-2s. You can also drop into 2nd gear on hairpins that only need it briefly where a manual would be too slow and not worth the shift. Google "NASA TT Calculator". There's a power to weight adjustment against the dual clutch transmissions for a reason.

On the street, manual will be faster. Unless you're foot flat to the floor the dsg can't read your mind and know you want to flip from 6th to 3rd. It will stutter for a bit until it figures it out and then hit gear and go.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Depends. Dsg is A LOT faster on track where you're always foot to the floor upshift and foot deep in the brake on downshift. At these times it recognizes what you're doing and flips gears stupid fast, and the boost hold is great for keeping power.

For a novice driver, on a ~2 min course the dsg is worth 4-5 seconds. For an intermediate driver probably 2-3s, and for an advanced driver about 1-2s. You can also drop into 2nd gear on hairpins that only need it briefly where a manual would be too slow and not worth the shift. Google "NASA TT Calculator". There's a power to weight adjustment against the dual clutch transmissions for a reason.

On the street, manual will be faster. Unless you're foot flat to the floor the dsg can't read your mind and know you want to flip from 6th to 3rd. It will stutter for a bit until it figures it out and then hit gear and go.
Id go as far as saying less than a second advantage if any for an advanced driver. Gotta know how to really work your feet but once you do the gap goes away a lot.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Id go as far as saying less than a second advantage if any for an advanced driver. Gotta know how to really work your feet but once you do the gap goes away a lot.
Agreed. Depends on the course. My home course is always in my mind, and there are two areas where I drop to 2nd gear and even shift into 4th for just a second at best. If it was manual there would be no point; I'd either ride out the lack of boost under the turbo threshold or bump the Rev limiter. A couple tenths here, a few tenths there....

GTI*59

Ready to race!
I've been driving my 6MT GTI for almost six years now. Not looking for another car anytime soon but if I were to get...
another GTI -> manual.
Golf R -> DSG.

I'm currently on stock turbo stage 2. It felt a bit hairy managing 3 pedals and the stick when I first tuned but it's pretty easy now.
I'm not sure I'd feel the same in a tuned R, and DSG suits the character of the R better in my opinion. It's like a mini GT-R.

GTI*59

Ready to race!
To everyone saying the DSG is great or that it does a better job than you could do with a manual - maybe I don't know how to drive one properly? When I drove my brother's DSG, I felt like it was either in the wrong gear, was too slow to downshift, and was a little clunky in stop and go traffic. When I was driving it hard in manual mode with the paddles it was great, but left to do its own thing I felt like I was smoother and better with my manual.

Also, the manual with ~$2k worth of mods (clutch, flywheel, shifter and the free CDV and spring mods) feels legitimately pretty great. Stock I thought the clutch and shifter were both vague, but now my car has a very firm pedal with plenty of feedback and a notchy shifter. It's not Honda good but it's damn good for an "economy" car.
Great point with those mods you mentioned. I did all of them. Changing the shifter was a revelation lol. I went with a Raceseng knob that weighs about a pound.
I went back to the golf ball for a day and it felt like a toy.
I don't feel the need for a short shift kit but I think the bushings and transmission mounts are due for a refresh cause 1 -> 2 under hard load has absolutely zero feedback.
Dogbone mount insert also helped a lot too.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
having had both i would get the manual

Ragdude

Go Kart Newbie
I've driven various mt all my driving life, DSG is just too cool.
I don't want an auto, but a auto shifting manual? Yes please!
Wish I could get that in a truck.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
DSG.
Manual guys complain about clutch excessively!
I understand the manual joy, drove one till I was 35. But the DSG is unlike other fake auto shift units. This one is real. Tune your engine and DSG, enjoy the speed of shifts. I find it’s joy to use. Only better unit is a PDK or maybe Audi unit.

Attachments

• CBADAA09-74D2-4E36-8E26-11EB60CFD36A.jpeg
    CBADAA09-74D2-4E36-8E26-11EB60CFD36A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 135
  • 3E437A5C-6B72-46B4-9335-CAE8CD9093A1.jpeg
    3E437A5C-6B72-46B4-9335-CAE8CD9093A1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Laughed so hard at auto shifting manual. You can't be serious 🤣

It's an automatic.
In the words of a humble mechanic, "it's two manual transmissions that work together and just so happen to have an electronic brain controlling the clutch."

Its not as fun as a standard transmission, but it's certainly fun. Certainly far better than a slushbox, and it lowers the entry point skill level for the driver. Lower skill level means you get more take rate overall, and that's great for all of us :).

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
In the words of a humble mechanic, "it's two manual transmissions that work together and just so happen to have an electronic brain controlling the clutch."

Its not as fun as a standard transmission, but it's certainly fun. Certainly far better than a slushbox, and it lowers the entry point skill level for the driver. Lower skill level means you get more take rate overall, and that's great for all of us :).
36293262_10216638684700390_1993643150727446528_n.jpg

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
This is ultimately a debate of semantics and as long as people are going to define a manual/automatic their own way, it's not going to be settled.

Here's my $0.02: the DSG has the mechanical parts of a manual transmission, but it can still do the shifting for you. You have the option to tell it to shift gears manually, but the clutches' engagement are still controlled by the computer. You can't control the level of the engagement of the clutches (for example, you can't slip the clutch on purpose, they're essentially either engaged or not and a computer is doing it for you). The DSG is an automatic, a good one, but it's not a true manual.

I thought this was actually a pretty interesting thread to read until the discussion devolved into the pointless argument between manual vs. automatic. I personally don't think there's any shame in having a preference one way or another between DSG or manual. Get what ya like, buy the car/transmission for yourself. You don't need to impress me or anyone else.

Last edited:

Ragdude

Go Kart Newbie
Laughed so hard at auto shifting manual. You can't be serious 🤣

It's an automatic.

Well sorry, I'm not the professional transmission builder you are , I'm just going by how professional transmission builders have described it to me.
But I assume you are correct, not sure why its so funny though.