GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Bother in 2026?

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I think Europe already has this. Non-issue.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
My friend's co-worker just lost her life to a drunk driver 2 weeks ago. The drunk driver decided to flee from the cops and ran into the car killing herself and my friend's co-worker with her 2 youngest daughters in the car. Her 3rd daughter saw the post on a local newspaper site while she was away in college.

I lost my cousin at 19 cause of drunk driving. He wasn't driving, but the driver of the car was in was plastered and drove into a tree. My cousin was ejected and went through the windshield. The 3 rear occupants, including my cousin all died, while the driver and passenger survived.

Drunk driving sucks and ruins people lives. I'm not sure how I feel about government intervention. It seems really intrusive but what would be a better solution?

Jozooka

Go Kart Newbie
An in-car system that monitors if the driver is falling asleep or driving erratically is hardly government overreach. No different than speed limits, seat belts, crash tests, ABS, etc. All help keep YOU, and the others you share the road with, safer. There's no loss of liberty here.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
The cameras are only going to be monitoring drunk driving? Ya sure and Alexa is only listening when I say her name :rolleyes:

History has shown there's a fine line between protecting citizens and abolishing liberties/rights. Are we really still pretending that government overreach isn't a thing?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
My friend's co-worker just lost her life to a drunk driver 2 weeks ago. The drunk driver decided to flee from the cops and ran into the car killing herself and my friend's co-worker with her 2 youngest daughters in the car. Her 3rd daughter saw the post on a local newspaper site while she was away in college.

I lost my cousin at 19 cause of drunk driving. He wasn't driving, but the driver of the car was in was plastered and drove into a tree. My cousin was ejected and went through the windshield. The 3 rear occupants, including my cousin all died, while the driver and passenger survived.

Drunk driving sucks and ruins people lives. I'm not sure how I feel about government intervention. It seems really intrusive but what would be a better solution?
Much stricter penalties. No pardon. If you're caught you lose license for 15 years. Sorry about your loss.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This thread might have a longer leash in the Off Topic forum, haha. I feel like Ring Cameras/App and the Citizen App are going to get me, and they have been caught marketing directly to the police. If I get in my car and know I'm being recorded, eh, I can live with that. Lack of cameras in cars is not stopping government overreach.
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-n...-app-pushing-surveillance-boundaries-rcna1058

And I have a Golf related question... I'm about 98% sure that in the Driver Assistance menu of MIB there is an option for Driver Monitoring. Trying to select it gives me a function unavailable (or equivalent) message. Are our cars ready for the future? And more seriously... anybody have/able to enable this option?

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Much stricter penalties. No pardon. If you're caught you lose license for 15 years. Sorry about your loss.
No punishment/penalty would bring anyone back after the accident. People still do stupid $h1t even with stricter penalties.

They're trying to approach a Minority Report type preventative measures without precogs. Prevent the event from ever happening. I'm not feeling the whole intrusive aspect.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

Something installed in the car of a convicted drunk driver is one thing.
And even with that, I favor something like a breathalyzer that is required to start the vehicle, rather than a camera that records a person the entirety of their time spent in the car.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
And even with that, I favor something like a breathalyzer that is required to start the vehicle, rather than a camera that records a person the entirety of their time spent in the car.
Exactly my thoughts. If I need to stick my finger in my nose however briefly I don't need the government watching it. Not that I drive around picking my nose. 😂

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
This only works on people that have been convicted once though. Bad stuff can happen on the first offense.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This only works on people that have been convicted once though. Bad stuff can happen on the first offense.
The law that is proposed would put a camera in every new car whether the person has been convicted or not. @ElectricEye is saying he would prefer a breathalyzer instead of a camera that the government can spy on you whenever they want to.