GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

200TW HPDE tire selections (with one condition)

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Shouldn't have to just for new tires. I never have and it didn't affect tire wear. Speaking about street driving.
I get for street driving it's not much difference. I've seen various recommendations from various manufacturers for track setup. If you're getting a lot of edge wear, camber can certainly help. I've noticed that on tires that are known to be a bit "numb" on steering, like the yoko, they like more toe out. The direzza z3 on the other hand liked slight toe in. Dampening really seems to make a difference on tire temps, too.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Shouldn't have to just for new tires. I never have and it didn't affect tire wear. Speaking about street driving.

On the street, with stock alignment,
I'd 100% agree.

Autocross or track, it's a real possibility that one tire might need more neg camber than another one or change the balance of the car to the point you might need to add or remove toe.

spaparizos

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport
Left side falken rt 615k+ 235/40r18 on 18x8 wheels. Right size falken rt 660 235/40r18 waiting to be installed.

I did not expect the width difference. Hence I took a photo. I am curious on whether they will rub and the performance difference.

I was happy with the 615k that lasted me a year for street plus track. But could not find them in stock.

Attachments

• PXL_20220121_043411772.jpg
    PXL_20220121_043411772.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 92

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
8" will pinch them down slightly, but yeah there's a good width difference. Several of us have run wide 255 and some 265, so I don't think you'll have too much trouble!

I'm curious to hear how the 660 life on track compares to the 615k+! I know a guy that ran the 615k+ for 10 weekends, which rarely happens with a modern 200tw when pushing it!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
8" will pinch them down slightly, but yeah there's a good width difference. Several of us have run wide 255 and some 265, so I don't think you'll have too much trouble!

I'm curious to hear how the 660 life on track compares to the 615k+! I know a guy that ran the 615k+ for 10 weekends, which rarely happens with a modern 200tw when pushing it!

From what I've seen the last year with autocross folks, RT660 wear is similar to RE71R. Obviously, autocross and tracking are different stresses, so it may not play out the same on track. I tracked on RE71Rs and they wore pretty fast. Anytime you heat a tire to the point of greasy, it's accelerating that wear.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
From what I've seen the last year with autocross folks, RT660 wear is similar to RE71R. Obviously, autocross and tracking are different stresses, so it may not play out the same on track. I tracked on RE71Rs and they wore pretty fast. Anytime you heat a tire to the point of greasy, it's accelerating that wear.

Yeah that's totally on point. 12 sessions out of my yoko 🤢, but boy were they fast for those 12 sessions! 🤑

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I used the RT615K for a couple track days, a year of daily driving and now a couple autocross events. Just now getting close to the wear indicators.

Not exactly a popular track day or autocross tire these days, but at 220tw I’ve also gotten a couple track days and a couple years out of a set of P Zero, which at the track, were close to the RT615K in overall performance- but just a shade below.

I like the P Zero so much I got a set for my ILX just a few weeks ago and they completely woke up the car (which came with a set of grand touring all season Michelin MXM4). Will be autocrossing them this weekend.

7B114637-FC4A-4B41-AA09-BE16EC92F658.jpeg

Last edited:

spaparizos

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport

I am also curious to find out :)

Over 1 year with the 615k+ I got about 6 or 7 track days, 1 autocross and 5k+ street miles. The part I liked was that they could take the heat on the track and be consistent. Slower at peak than a052s and re71r by 2 seconds, but neither lasted a year for me. Not even close. So hoping the rt660 last :)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I am also curious to find out :)

Over 1 year with the 615k+ I got about 6 or 7 track days, 1 autocross and 5k+ street miles. The part I liked was that they could take the heat on the track and be consistent. Slower at peak than a052s and re71r by 2 seconds, but neither lasted a year for me. Not even close. So hoping the rt660 last :)

The RT660 is faster than the RE71R, close to on par with the A052, and wears better than the A052, but at the end of the day, wear with be the same or slightly better than RT660.

Why not go with V730? Almost as fast as RT660, but handle heat better and wear better.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
You know, the one really nice thing about the yoko is how quiet and comfy they were compared to the other super 200s. I know I talk crap about their life, but that's just the major con. There really aren't any other drawbacks to it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You know, the one really nice thing about the yoko is how quiet and comfy they were compared to the other super 200s. I know I talk crap about their life, but that's just the major con. There really aren't any other drawbacks to it.

Apparently, A052 are better than Jesus on water.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
When I was thinking of replacing my rs4, found out the original bf goodrich Rival (not the 1.5) is supposed to wear really well. Unfortunately sizes are limited, but the 275/35r18 has a tread width of 9.6 and section width of 10.9 vs the 265 r660 ( 9.8/10.9) & A052 (9.9/10.6) so definitely a viable option

It also comes in a
245/40 R18
255/40 R17