APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Passed emissions yesterday!

2C5635A6-709B-433C-B9BB-EE6E3341F45B.jpeg

😂

Just stirring the pot. No DTR here. FBO stage 2 EQT with HPA catted DP.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You can pass emissions with just about any setup depending on the state/inspector. Anyone can always flash to stock and run a spacer and drive it a few days to set readiness....it's all about can you get away with it in your state...some yes some no. The idea here was not having to fuck around with it and just pass as-is.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Don't forget to squat your GTI too. Nothing to do with emissions, but if you're going full Floridian, do it right.
I don't need to, the meth in my hatch weighs the back of the car down. No one squats their truck here, it's just large quantities of meth making it look like it's squatted. True story.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Is anyone offering an IS38 (or upgraded IS38) + stock DP canned tune package to compete with this yet? I feel like that's what most people in the market for something like this would be interested in comparing cost and performance.

Not pointing fingers at anyone, but I’m sensing a lot of salt in the air over my is38>DTR jab.

APR has had a is38 OEM DP file since 2016 IIRC, and lack of advertisements for such recently is probably to keep eyes off the fact that having such a file implies there’s also a aftermarket downpipe file.

I wasn’t saying “hey everyone, run exactly my mod list” I was saying is38 from FCP with a lifetime warranty still seems to be the best entry level option both for daily driving manners & performance on a budget.

Intercooler, IS38, tune, dogbone insert & tune (plus DSG tune or clutch) will out everything a DTR only car and best or match a apples to apples DTR car (that’s why they didn’t post a video of that comparison).

This isn’t speculative, the Golf R guys running nearly identical numbers backs it up.

As of now I 100% agree. There are ways of getting an IS38 with DP to pass in many states, APR is just betting heavily on a forthcoming EPA crackdown on modified emissions components AND that states will be willing and able to enforce these regulations.

If in 2 years you can’t buy a downpipe or get a shop to install “track only” parts, the DTR may literally be the only turnkey option that won’t get you a ticket/repair order. But if APR’s forecasting is overblown, the DTR could go down in obscurity as MQB trivia.

As for the IS38 stock DP file, the performance was pretty lackluster (slight bump in hp over stage 2, like 340-50whp or something) so it was a relatively undesirable option. Anecdotally, I haven’t heard of anyone running that setup/tune due to the poor cost-performance. I feel like the DTR was APR’s attempt at improving that setup.

If I’m not mistaken Mini7 tracks his car extensively on the OEM DP is38 file.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
To further clarify, my Mk7 GTI has APR stage 1, 2, & is38 (currently is38) tunes and I still refer people to stage 1 & is38 tunes from them regularly when it makes sense.

I’ll probably go straight to is38 eventually with them on my wife’s GLI along with the FMIC it already has & APR ecu/TCU tunes.

There’s something to be said for set it & forget it reliability, my cars been tuned by them for 120,000 miles now. Idk what changed with their development, but the DTR tuning doesn’t instill that confidence at this time.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
well if you're not gonna pass emissions anyway... might as well go faster for cheaper
Yes, unless again, you're in a strict state and still have to pass. That means your option is to keep throwing back on the stock DP whenever inspection time comes around and make sure the tune can get past emissions. I don't know about you guys but it was a PITA doing this previously on my Mk6. So we need solutions where we can just drive on through inspection with A/M components. I don't think any of you should care about this turbo or anything related to a stock DP and emissions if your state doesn't care.

If NJ didn't care, I'd already be on an A/M downpipe and probably have thrown on an is38. OR I might of just kept my mk6 GTI with K04...

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Not pointing fingers at anyone, but I’m sensing a lot of salt in the air over my is38>DTR jab.

APR has had a is38 OEM DP file since 2016 IIRC, and lack of advertisements for such recently is probably to keep eyes off the fact that having such a file implies there’s also a aftermarket downpipe file.

I wasn’t saying “hey everyone, run exactly my mod list” I was saying is38 from FCP with a lifetime warranty still seems to be the best entry level option both for daily driving manners & performance on a budget.

Intercooler, IS38, tune, dogbone insert & tune (plus DSG tune or clutch) will out everything a DTR only car and best or match a apples to apples DTR car (that’s why they didn’t post a video of that comparison).

This isn’t speculative, the Golf R guys running nearly identical numbers backs it up.

If I’m not mistaken Mini7 tracks his car extensively on the OEM DP is38 file.

To further clarify, my Mk7 GTI has APR stage 1, 2, & is38 (currently is38) tunes and I still refer people to stage 1 & is38 tunes from them regularly when it makes sense.

I’ll probably go straight to is38 eventually with them on my wife’s GLI along with the FMIC it already has & APR ecu/TCU tunes.

There’s something to be said for set it & forget it reliability, my cars been tuned by them for 120,000 miles now. Idk what changed with their development, but the DTR tuning doesn’t instill that confidence at this time.
All of this is sort of my question. The APR website used to list a DP as required hardware, but now it seems intentionally vague and doesn't say if their IS38 GTI Dyno chart used a DP or not. Even if it wasn't faster, I'd probably prefer the torque curve and power delivery over the DTR. I'm just not seeing a plug and play solution for the IS38 like they're advertising for this. I'd be perfectly happy with an FCP IS38 and AP tune for the stock DP too (already have an AP), but doesn't seem like anyone offers it yet and I'm not interested in the cost and hassle of a custom tune again.