GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I traded my '21 Mazda 3 Turbo for a '19 SE

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
Tl;dr: I followed the advise of "Life's too short to drive boring cars" and traded my 8,000 mile '21 Mazda 3 Turbo for a MK7.5 GTI.

I'm back in the game with my 2nd MK7.5 GTI - a 2019 Pure White DSG with the SE Experience Package.

Back in 2020, I had been driving a 2019 6MT GTI when I started suffering from feet pain. This pain was even more severe in my clutch foot, to the point where it would be very painful to drive anywhere but the highway. This pain has been diagnosed as Plantar Fasciitis coupled with flat feet, Achilles Tendonitis, and the start of bunions. Needless to say, 14 years of driving manual transmission cars hasn't done any wonders for me. After several months of treatment, I ultimately decided that I need to get rid of the GTI. It was disrupting the healing process and it wasn't making life any easier as I had to return to the office full time.

Around March 2021, I started the search for a replacement. My first choice would've been a MK7.5 DSG, but at this time of the year the inventory levels were extremely low. It seems like they didn't produce many 2020 GTI's and the '21s weren't out yet. I also refused to downgrade, as my '19 was an SE with the Experience Package (Fender Audio, DCC) and those features were a deal breaker for me. In 2020, the only way to get Fender Audio and DCC was the Autobahn, and that was approaching 38K. The used market was also starting to dry up. I also considered the Jetta GLI, but the interior quality never felt as nice as the GTI and it had a really goofy driving position. Seeing as how we already have an R-Line in our household, I started eyeing the 4th gen Mazda 3.

I always thought the 4th gen Mazda 3 was a beautiful looking car. It was just lacking in power and never had the performance of the GLI. In 2021, they introduced a turbo model which inherited the 2.5L turbo engine from the CX-5/CX-9. After a few (not long enough) test drives, we settled for the Mazda 3 Turbo Sedan. The thought process at the time was that it had enough attributes to make up for the loss of fun of owning a GTI. This, and the dealer was willing to sell it to me for a few grand under MSRP (this very quickly became not the case with new car sales). Some of the things that set it apart from the GTI were the comfortability, heated steering wheel, memory seats, Bose audio system, AWD, HUD, driving position, and just an all around nicer interior. It was a nice place to be most of the time.

After several months of ownership, the honeymoon period started to fade away and I started noticing a lot of its flaws. Some of which, crept up very quickly. Here is a list of my complaints:

• Terrible gas mileage. I would average 27 on a good day and as low as 23-24 in the winter. This is while driving conservatively, too. Any spirited driving and it would suffer.
  • Small fuel tank. 11ish gallons, would typically only fill 10 when the gas light came on. This combined with poor MPG resulted in a 260-280 range for a full tank.
  • Way too heavy of steering + awful steering ratio. I would notice this the most while parking. The inclusion of driving modes could've helped this somewhat, but it felt like the car would barely turn sharply at times.
  • Not a very exciting power-band despite power figures. This one is pretty much brought up in all of the reviews. Basically, it drives like an SUV with having all of its torque and power-band down low. And that makes sense considering where the powertrain comes from.
  • Non existent brakes. Seriously, the way they tuned the brakes was awful. According the Mazda, it's tuned for comfort and better posture under braking. This was just okay under normal circumstances but there were a few close calls and I had no confidence in the car in the event of an accident. They also didn't upgrade the 3 Turbo's brakes over the standard 3, so compared to the GTI they just felt very poor.
  • Massive blind spots + poor visibility. This can't be stated enough. Not enough glass which would make the car feel cave-like and unsafe due to poor sight lines at times. Visibility is very underrated while car shopping. It's something I definitely took for granted when I had the GTI.
  • More rattles than anything else I've owned + Faux Luxury. I had a rattle from week one that only got worse after time. After 10+ trips to the dealer, I gave up trying to chase down rattles. In the following year, more rattles crept up. HUD, infotainment screen, glovebox, sunroof and many more. This I think was the most disappointing as Mazda gives the impression that it's trying to move upmarket. Between the rattles, the lightweight doors, and the very cheap cardboard feeling headliner, I couldn't help but feel a sense of faux-luxury.

I had really started to miss my GTI after some time with the 3. The used car market has been insane and I really had no desire for the MK8 (sorry gang). I started shopping around to see what kind of values I would be able to get if I were to trade in the Mazda. Luckily, I was able to get an average of about $8,000 in positive equity with the current trade values. But this also meant I would be overpaying for a used MK7.5. I started to shop locally and through CarMax, Carvana, and Vroom. Doing the deal local meant that I could save on taxes, as IL gives you a tax credit when you trade in. This meant I had about 10K total to put towards a GTI. After several months of searching, I ended up finding the one. Carvana had a 2019 Pure White DSG with the coveted SE Experience Package and only 13,500 miles, for $32,000. Being a 2019 means I get that sweet, sweet 6yr/72K bumper to bumper diesel gate apology warranty, too. And the vehicles original sale date was in April 2020, so I have about 4 years of that left over. It is a one owner, unmodified, CLEAN example. No front plate holes either, which is also a big bonus. Oddly enough, the car was originally sold at a dealer here in IL. I was able to contact that dealer to verify the service records. Things were going real smooth until the Carvana transaction, but that's a whole other story for a different day.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading! I can't express how happy I am to be back in a GTI and apart of this awesome community. I can't imagine ever not-owning a GTI. This car just does everything right. The interior is still a great place to be, the gas mileage with the 7-Speed DQ381 is fantastic, and it's just all around a joy to drive every day.

Photos:

Last edited:

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
I'd like to hear the Carvana story.
Oh man, how much time do you have? lol. I don't even know where to begin with that one. Let's just say.. if they didn't have this particular GTI for sale, I would've 1000% shopped elsewhere.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I like your more detailed diagnosis of why you can't drive manual anymore but so many times I read people saying they can't drive manual because of knees problems, etc. etc. and I'm like, wtf? Can you walk even? Just what exactly are you doing that you can't travel your leg a few inches in a car? It's crazy when I hear that stuff. I even developed actual knee problems from bad lifting habits at the gym. I have trouble just going up stairs but it gives me no issues driving manual. Never understood that.

EDIT - Oh, btw, congrats on the trade.

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
I like your more detailed diagnosis of why you can't drive manual anymore but so many times I read people saying they can't drive manual because of knees problems, etc. etc. and I'm like, wtf? Can you walk even? Just what exactly are you doing that you can't travel your leg a few inches in a car? It's crazy when I hear that stuff. I even developed actual knee problems from bad lifting habits at the gym. I have trouble just going up stairs but it gives me no issues driving manual. Never understood that.

EDIT - Oh, btw, congrats on the trade.

It's weird man. I'm still dealing with feet pain although it is much more tolerable now. I notice it the most while sitting, driving, and standing. Walking is actually fine for the most part. I can't even be barefoot around the house anymore because it's too strenuous.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I don't understand the appeal of the Mazda3. It looks frumpy to me. You made the right call.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I had a 3rd gen (2018) Mazda 3, fully loaded, and it was straight up nice. No rattles, premium materials, incredibly comfortable cockpit. Really enjoyable to drive too because it still had the zoom-zoom feel. Light, very lively suspension and road connection, rotated great when pushed. Felt like a bigger FWD Miata and still got 38mpg on the highway easily. I wanted more power so I went GTI. But I do miss that Mazda’s perfect blend of luxury and nimbleness.

They blew it with the latest (4th) gen. Such a shame.

My ex:
1661382813608.jpeg

1661382914230.jpeg

Last edited:

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Welcome back for sure.

The car reviews back in day loved Mazda and maybe still do. The Protege 5 we had was extremely reliable but there was not a body panel or piece of metal on it that did not rust or bumble rust... it was rusting in 4 years worst than cars from the 1970s ..
I would never buy a Mazda in this life again... sad because the Miatas are nice.

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
I had a 3rd gen (2018) Mazda 3, fully loaded, and it was straight up nice. No rattles, premium materials, incredibly comfortable cockpit. Really enjoyable to drive too because it still had the zoom-zoom feel. Light, very lively suspension and road connection, rotated great when pushed. Felt like a bigger FWD Miata and still got 38mpg on the highway easily. I wanted more power so I went GTI. But I do miss that Mazda’s perfect blend of luxury and nimbleness.

They blew it with the latest (4th) gen. Such a shame.

My ex:
View attachment 259029
View attachment 259031

I have to admit, I wasn’t really attracted to the Mazda 3 until the 4th gen was revealed. But I have to say, your 3rd gen hatch looked great. I wish the 4th gens were as lively as you make your 3rd gen sound. The interiors of the newer Mazdas really are just a nice place to be. I think I had bad luck with the rattles. Several members of the forums either had zero rattles or a bunch like mine.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I have to admit, I wasn’t really attracted to the Mazda 3 until the 4th gen was revealed. But I have to say, your 3rd gen hatch looked great. I wish the 4th gens were as lively as you make your 3rd gen sound. The interiors of the newer Mazdas really are just a nice place to be. I think I had bad luck with the rattles. Several members of the forums either had zero rattles or a bunch like mine.
Mazda definitely had quality disparities depending on when they were made. Also, mid-generation refreshes tended to fix rattles. Nevertheless, GTI fam is the place be! Welcome back.