GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
That’s solid. As you can see mine is closer to 30f over ambient by the end of a pull. I think 20f over would be an improvement especially during the summer. Now all I need is an APR IC datalog with a hybrid

If I do go the V2 FMIC route, how good would it have to be to warrant cutting into the crash bar? Less than 10f over at the end of a long pull?

If the answer is no it’s not worth it for a few degrees, would it be worth it to get rid of the FMIC altogether and swap in a stock location? Again for pretty marginal gains. I think @billbadass went from the Neuspeed to the APR cooler and said he picked up a few WHP.

To be fair, Neuspeed is 25% smaller than the V1 FMIC you have now, which is over 20% smaller than the V2.

I don’t have solid data yet, since the core from the original V2 prototype was discontinued and the first production V2 hasn’t got its big turbo upgrade yet, but I’m confident it’ll reflect stage 2 V1 numbers at 550hp V2.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
My Majesty Intercooler has been performing great at the track- I see IAT's 10-15 degrees above ambient in 70-80 degree weather. It is a heavy bitch though, was noticeable compared to the OE SMIC. It will heatsoak in stop and go traffic, but once you are moving is fine.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
To be fair, Neuspeed is 25% smaller than the V1 FMIC you have now, which is over 20% smaller than the V2.

I don’t have solid data yet, since the core from the original V2 prototype was discontinued and the first production V2 hasn’t got its big turbo upgrade yet, but I’m confident it’ll reflect stage 2 V1 numbers at 550hp V2.
For anyone going from V1 to V2, is there any concern for fitment and drilling into the crashbar? Say one day in the future I go v2 and hybrid, would my inital crash bar mount holes affect V2 (Hopefully they are the same?)

Edit: Nevermind, after watching the video it looks like you need to modify the crash bar ect, so the mounting holes shouldn't be an issue.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
For anyone going from V1 to V2, is there any concern for fitment and drilling into the crashbar? Say one day in the future I go v2 and hybrid, would my inital crash bar mount holes affect V2 (Hopefully they are the same?)

Edit: Nevermind, after watching the video it looks like you need to modify the crash bar ect, so the mounting holes shouldn't be an issue.

Correct the crash bar gets cut pretty extensively for the V2, but also uses really beefy mounts the the intercooler itself adds a lot of structure back into the crash bar.

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
Dudes - any install feedback on the Racingline unit? Any trimming/mods needed? Thanks

Gustavovon

Guys, this a BIG topic! I saw the numbers on "mygolfm7" that jeff tested. Is the DO88 still the best option on the market? Its worth it the difference between him and majestic? I have a option for a old Racingline IC, its a good one?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Guys, this a BIG topic! I saw the numbers on "mygolfm7" that jeff tested. Is the DO88 still the best option on the market? Its worth it the difference between him and majestic? I have a option for a old Racingline IC, its a good one?

ANY aftermarket intercooler will be a massive improvement over stock.

Just depends on your budget & the QC, back end support & quality you demand.

If you’ve got more time than money you can make any of the cheaper ones work (sometimes with some modifications). If you’ve got the means to buy a quality unit it’s always cheaper in the long run (Jeff of mygolfmk7 hates when I say that, but it proves to be true time after time).

For instance, someone recently posted about needing a replacement IC hose for a discontinued IE V1 (zero support from them on that & several discontinued parts). So while they paid decent money for the part it’s kind of a paperweight without the required parts to keep it functional.

If you only keep parts or cars a sort period of time it’s probably moot, but for instance I’ve had my Mk7 seven years & 127,000 miles with zero part failures OEM or aftermarket.

6021A829-5A09-4518-8FE8-4AC3E07F7871.jpeg

4BC6AFAA-2DDE-43E8-97F7-3215205718F0.jpeg

Gustavovon

ANY aftermarket intercooler will be a massive improvement over stock.

Just depends on your budget & the QC, back end support & quality you demand.

If you’ve got more time than money you can make any of the cheaper ones work (sometimes with some modifications). If you’ve got the means to buy a quality unit it’s always cheaper in the long run (Jeff of mygolfmk7 hates when I say that, but it proves to be true time after time).

For instance, someone recently posted about needing a replacement IC hose for a discontinued IE V1 (zero support from them on that & several discontinued parts). So while they paid decent money for the part it’s kind of a paperweight without the required parts to keep it functional.

If you only keep parts or cars a sort period of time it’s probably moot, but for instance I’ve had my Mk7 seven years & 127,000 miles with zero part failures OEM or aftermarket.

View attachment 266678

View attachment 266679
Jake, which are your top 5 choices? I use to stay 5 years with the car, and i just bought this one.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Jake, which are your top 5 choices? I use to stay 5 years with the car, and i just bought this one.

Only reason to even list five would be to cover different HP goals or budget. No particular order, because I’m recommending each based on a reason.

-If you’re flat broke, but have unlimited time & some DIY know how the EBay direct replacement seems to be the best budget option.

-If you’ve got unlimited budget & plan to make 600+whp DBV2 FMIC & replacement crash bar.

-If your goal is 500-550whp my larger option, Baun Performance V2 FMIC. This covers the Hybrid turbos & full frame turbos with MPI & LPFP upgrades.

-Last, but definitely not least would be the two that cover the needs of anyone who’s neither flat broke nor going for broke & planning to make more 450+whp (aka these two cover everyone stock up to 450whp, because that’s the practical ceiling for performance on both of these units).

Baun Performance V1 FMIC or Do88 Direct Replacement.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Bet you I can guess his first choice.

https://www.facebook.com/gtijake/

Choice 1 through 5 right there

Why would I develop a product line & help build a platform if I didn’t see the need?

When I developed my FMIC the only two on the market were CTS & Neuspeed (both of which were 25% smaller & included silicone hose rather than proper charge pipes).

Of course I’m in favor of something I’ve poured thousands of hours and tens of thousands of dollars into making happen. To date I still haven’t come close to even breaking even. I do this because I’m passionate about it so yeah I’m proud of it & recommend my parts.