GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Perfectly balancing the GTI into a Grand Tourer

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I just switched to 17s after being dissatisfied with the stock ride, and they made such a difference that I'm no longer considering Konis. Cheaper too because I needed new tires anyway and can sell my 18s. Next comfort mod is a tint so the Mrs. doesn't have to get toasted on any eastbound roadtrip... anyone know a good film for max heat rejection at moderate visible light tint levels?

The harmonic damper retrofit might also serve the concept outlined here.
Ceramic tint.
Costs a bit more but 100% worth it
Even completely clear ceramic tint will block out more heat than 5% (aka limo tint) normal films

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I just switched to 17s after being dissatisfied with the stock ride, and they made such a difference that I'm no longer considering Konis. Cheaper too because I needed new tires anyway and can sell my 18s. Next comfort mod is a tint so the Mrs. doesn't have to get toasted on any eastbound roadtrip... anyone know a good film for max heat rejection at moderate visible light tint levels?

The harmonic damper retrofit might also serve the concept outlined here.
I'm really trying to do both haha. Already have the Special Actives and just measured my tread depth which will need replaced in a couple of months or so. If I can find a good deal on some 17" wheels, I'm going that route as well.

I've always wondered if the harmonic damper did anything. Might give it a go since it seems relatively cheap.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
It doesn't do a lot, but it did reduce some rumble at low speed.
Most of my commute is rough-ish road and low speed, so it might pay off. Average price seems to float around $150 and the install looks super simple, so I might give it a go.

rainydaze

Car(s)
2019 GTI Autobahn
Wheels/Tires
I waver back and forth on this one...
  1. Downsizing to 17" wheels with 235/45-17 tires would provide enough sidewall to clean up the ride a bit, and you can still put a performance tire on there that won't totally roll over when it's pushed. And if you add the sidewall cushioning, you may not need special dampers to reduce harshness and could instead go with something like the Bilstein B6 or even Koni Sports.
  2. However, it's hard to beat the responsiveness of the stock 18" setup with 225/40 or 235/40 tires.
  3. As far as which tires, this is going to depend on your driving style and climate. Michelin PS4S are often the top recommended tire for a reason, and they come on a lot of the great high-end GT cars for a reason. But they're not your only option. Make heavy use of Tire Rack's tests and reviews to find tires that perform well on both the track and street. Take special note of how TR characterizes impacts, road noise, and responsiveness.
As to tire sizes... I changed to 235/45-18's on stock rims and they fit fine. It's less than 1/2" taller above the hub - and folks have WAY less space when slamming their cars. I've had no rubbing; a better tire with the taller sidewall really made a noticeable difference.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
As to tire sizes... I changed to 235/45-18's on stock rims and they fit fine. It's less than 1/2" taller above the hub - and folks have WAY less space when slamming their cars. I've had no rubbing; a better tire with the taller sidewall really made a noticeable difference.
are you lowered at all?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Good post! I think for sure sport dampers on stock springs (Koni yellow, Bilstein B6) are a great upgrade and maintain stock ride height and more importantly stock travel/bump to droop ratio. Adding a bit of negative camber with the Eurosport Street Camber Kit inserts is another great one that adds zero NVH. I think on stock ride height 18" would be prefered over 17" and running 235/40/18s is a great combo with a proper UHP AS or Summer tire. Larger RSB is a no-brainer. Stock PP brakes with a set of more agressive street-ish/track-ish pads is another one. I don't think chassis/body bracing does a thing TBH.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I somewhat disagree on that last point, but it’s subjective of course. I noticed a difference when I did the rear hatch brace with less body flex. Did it improve handling? Likely no. But it feels nice. 🤷‍♂️

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I somewhat disagree on that last point, but it’s subjective of course. I noticed a difference when I did the rear hatch brace with less body flex. Did it improve handling? Likely no. But it feels nice. 🤷‍♂️
Placebo...helluva drug...ahhahaah j/k of course! Sometimes that's all that matters with mods....if you like it/think it does something then well, you win!

Reactions: krs

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Placebo...helluva drug...ahhahaah j/k of course! Sometimes that's all that matters with mods....if you like it/think it does something then well, you win!
I would say it’s more than placebo when body creaking over diagonal bumps and hard turns goes away or is reduced.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I would say it’s more than placebo when body creaking over diagonal bumps and hard turns goes away or is reduced.
The question to me on those always has been...so? Does it actually improve cornering/lap times which are a real test? I'm going with my hypothesis which is no but no testing so no dice. I have also heard of others saying the bracing reduces creaks etc.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Rear brace was noticeable for sure. Very typical of hatchbacks. Front strut brace, totally imperceptible in comparison. And almost nothing else on the market even makes sense (subframe braces that brace the subframe to... the subframe?).

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
The question to me on those always has been...so? Does it actually improve cornering/lap times which are a real test? I'm going with my hypothesis which is no but no testing so no dice. I have also heard of others saying the bracing reduces creaks etc.
I think the right kind of braces, e.g. hatch K/X braces, fully boxed center tunnel braces, can make a measurable difference. Some braces don't do much and basically add weight, imo.

Actually measuring it might be tricky, though. For example, if it makes the car more consistent at the limit or more commutative in some way, a general lap time may not show the benefit. A lap where you're really riding, and exceeding, the limit might show a difference though.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
The question to me on those always has been...so?
Because this thread is about building a better Grand Tourer, and a car that's tighter and quieter feels nicer.
Does it actually improve cornering/lap times which are a real test?
That would be a great question for someone building a more track-focused car. But even if it doesn't reduce lap times, it increases the responsiveness of the car, makes it feel tighter, and reduces creaks -- all of which make the car feel nicer and like a better Grand Tourer, which is the goal here.