GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Rice Buys A Minivan

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
If it's a self draining faucet it will be fine. If it's a standard one, I'd let it drip. Really depends on the insulation in it also.

Last edited:

cb1111

Bros it’s getting down to 15* tonight. Should I let my outside hose hook up drip or will letting just faucets be fine?
You need to find the shut-off for that bib, and then open it up. You can also wrap it in insulation to help - windchill is awfull for outside faucets.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Bought a RSB for the wife’s R today.

1705462398683.jpeg

Daks

Autocross Champion
Gents need a laptop for personal use. Won't be doing anything crazy on it: mostly office work. I'll have a few apps running at a time. What do you suggest, I'd be looking for 16GIG ram. What's the thought on Mac's?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Gents need a laptop for personal use. Won't be doing anything crazy on it: mostly office work. I'll have a few apps running at a time. What do you suggest, I'd be looking for 16GIG ram. What's the thought on Mac's?
Overpriced for their specs, however they do work well and hold up better than any Windows based computer I've ever owned. My wife's 10 year old MacBook Air is still kicking. I can't say I've ever had a PC make it past the 3 year mark.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Overpriced for their specs, however they do work well and hold up better than any Windows based computer I've ever owned. My wife's 10 year old MacBook Air is still kicking. I can't say I've ever had a PC make it past the 3 year mark.
That's my thought as well. Have a Mac Mini 10 years, going strong. Ipad Pro - 6 years good as new.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
HP > Dell IMO

Reactions: WAP

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
eBay used Latitude, like a 5420-5430, 7440, something of that nature. Buy a cheap one then install RAM/SSD because they're not proprietary.

Stay away from Acer, they have good parts lookup BUT their plastics are weak AF and they don't hold up very well. Asus had issues where the board would stop recognizing batteries out of the blue (not sure if this was ever fixed but it was quite common), HP tend to also have good parts lookup systems (Partsurfer.hp.com) and are fairly easy to work on UNLESS you buy like a Probook/Elitebook (Torx screws in a laptop is irritating). I'm not a fan of Lenovo for similar reasons to Acer. Haven't done much with MSI. Cheap Inspirons aren't worth the money.

Honestly the Apple stuff sucks to work on and the parts are all married to one another in modern ones AFAIK and there's not really an option to upgrade stuff like you can with a PC, but the aluminum chassis is somewhat nice. I had an A1466 that I liked, the last ones you could still get with a removable battery. From the A1502 and forward they were glued to the palmrest which was a bummer.

e: oh and in general be aware that the USB-C ports aren't always the most reliable and are soldered to the motherboard, so if all the ones that can be used for charging go out you're gonna need a board. Not the worst thing in the world, but something to consider. In general though I tend to keep stuff for ages (Up until about a year and a half ago my main laptop was a Latitude E6410 from ~2003) and just repair/upgrade parts where I can, if you're cycling through things more steadily it might not be a factor to you.

Daks

Autocross Champion
eBay used Latitude, like a 5420-5430, 7440, something of that nature. Buy a cheap one then install RAM/SSD because they're not proprietary.

Stay away from Acer, they have good parts lookup BUT their plastics are weak AF and they don't hold up very well. Asus had issues where the board would stop recognizing batteries out of the blue (not sure if this was ever fixed but it was quite common), HP tend to also have good parts lookup systems (Partsurfer.hp.com) and are fairly easy to work on UNLESS you buy like a Probook/Elitebook (Torx screws in a laptop is irritating). I'm not a fan of Lenovo for similar reasons to Acer. Haven't done much with MSI. Cheap Inspirons aren't worth the money.

Honestly the Apple stuff sucks to work on and the parts are all married to one another in modern ones AFAIK and there's not really an option to upgrade stuff like you can with a PC, but the aluminum chassis is somewhat nice. I had an A1466 that I liked, the last ones you could still get with a removable battery. From the A1502 and forward they were glued to the palmrest which was a bummer.

e: oh and in general be aware that the USB-C ports aren't always the most reliable and are soldered to the motherboard, so if all the ones that can be used for charging go out you're gonna need a board. Not the worst thing in the world, but something to consider. In general though I tend to keep stuff for ages (Up until about a year and a half ago my main laptop was a Latitude E6410 from ~2003) and just repair/upgrade parts where I can, if you're cycling through things more steadily it might not be a factor to you.
I'm not that type man. If it start to slow down I just get rid of it.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
My rule with buying personal computers is I buy gaming/over the top spec'd computers today so that 6 years from now they'll be just a normal computer spec. I also just use it for MS office type stuff and my little attempts at using CAD and 3D printing slicers.

I bought my dell laptop in 2017/2018 with an i7 core, 16GB ram and a 512GB SSD. It has expandable memory so last year I bought another 512GB SSD.

It's still going strong, and those specs are considered at least acceptable in today's world. I expect to get a few more years out of it before I have to replace it. We just replaced my S/O's laptop from 2015 because it was finally starting to show its age, that's the sort of lifespan I expect out of my PC's.

In other words, get way more computer than you need today so you can continue to use it 6+ years from now.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
All I can say is make sure it has a nvme ssd. If you're buying a new computer/laptop and not getting a nvme ssd with it you fucked up.