GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Rice Buys A Minivan

clownish

just clowning around
Gents need a laptop for personal use. Won't be doing anything crazy on it: mostly office work. I'll have a few apps running at a time. What do you suggest, I'd be looking for 16GIG ram. What's the thought on Mac's?

I have had 2 macbook pros that each lasted over 9 years (overlap) for personal use, including video editing and gaming. Professionally we only use windows and on a windows i7 machine id always max out the ram - dont skimp on ram - get as much as possible and generally get the best processor / specs you can at the point in time of purchase and itll be able to support future updates for as long as possible. the macbooks i only retired because they were too far out of date, not because they werent physically functioning anymore. the software killed it, not the hardware.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Which CIA division?

Nothing special. Moved to acquisitions where someone thought it was a good idea to have me manage a $358M contract.

You’ll see me soon:

1705509970571.gif

dtfd

Autocross Champion
I have had 2 macbook pros that each lasted over 9 years (overlap) for personal use, including video editing and gaming. Professionally we only use windows and on a windows i7 machine id always max out the ram - dont skimp on ram - get as much as possible and generally get the best processor / specs you can at the point in time of purchase and itll be able to support future updates for as long as possible. the macbooks i only retired because they were too far out of date, not because they werent physically functioning anymore. the software killed it, not the hardware.
It's like that with any computer that isn't bottom of the barrel.

My parents had to get a new computer not because their hardware stopped functioning, but because windows finally said, "hey, we're not supporting windows 7 anymore".

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Uhh sir there's trillions of dollars missing and we have no clue where it is....

Corprin: Alright let's trigger another 9/11
Looking like it’s going to be another Gulf of Tonkin vice 9/11.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Gents need a laptop for personal use. Won't be doing anything crazy on it: mostly office work. I'll have a few apps running at a time. What do you suggest, I'd be looking for 16GIG ram. What's the thought on Mac's?
I love my MacBook Air. M1 would probably be fine for you but the M2 would future proof it a bit more.

riceburner

Autocross Champion

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
you got me thinking and i took the plunge on my first mechanical keyboard

dont judge for my lack of experience. cheap, good reviews, seemingly 'quiet' for a mechanical keyboard, looks neat, has the delete/end/insert suite of keys, looks neat. if i like it great, if i dont like it maybe i'll have better ideas for another one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CBWJ9SKX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far I've liked "Brown" switches the best so good call there. I will say that I've bought some cheapo keyboards before and they've been ... cheapo.

I have a Cooler Master Pro S but they don't make those anymore. I think this is the replacement:

https://store.coolermaster.com/us/ck530-tenkeyless-gateron-switches

Or maybe this one since it's got Cherry MX switches instead of Gateron: https://store.coolermaster.com/us/mk730

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
you got me thinking and i took the plunge on my first mechanical keyboard

dont judge for my lack of experience. cheap, good reviews, seemingly 'quiet' for a mechanical keyboard, looks neat, has the delete/end/insert suite of keys, looks neat. if i like it great, if i dont like it maybe i'll have better ideas for another one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CBWJ9SKX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
holy shit $30 for a mechanical keyboard is dope, they've really come down in price. Any mech is better than rubber domes/scissor switches (rule of thumb, there are some very rare exceptions)

enjoy and be aware that some nerds get SUPER intense about it, but at the end of the day it's whatever you like to type on and however much effort you want to put into it. I'm not at the point of stickering, lubing, and spring swapping all 104 keys and getting artisan caps, but I'm a little picky. PBT caps feel much nicer, and for 'clicky' switches I like o-rings.

Enjoy your new toy

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I've got a keychron k2 and k8, both with brown switches. fantastic options. $80 is extremely cheap compared to the custom stuff out there.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

If you're not a computer nerd just get a Mac. Unless you need specific windows things. I have 12 year plus MacBook that besides not being able to get the latest OS still works just has limited capabilities with what it can run.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Would you go 16gig on a macbook air?

Check out Mac Address on YouTube. Very informative videos and he will tell you what the better deal is. Getting a M2 is sometimes better than an M3 because of Apples stupid tiers and packaging. I'd probably pick up a fully loaded used M2.

Daks

Autocross Champion
If you're not a computer nerd just get a Mac. Unless you need specific windows things. I have 12 year plus MacBook that besides not being able to get the latest OS still works just has limited capabilities with what it can run.
Air good enough for a normal human or do I need to go pro?